bhavik92
1 Copper

RE: Dell Inspiron Audio

Jump to solution

Hi sir.

I am also facing issue with Dell Inspiron N5010 speaker sound.

Behavior:

No sound from internal speaker. Changing speaker volume in

Windows changes headphone volume which is very surprising. In the list of

devices in device manager, both headphone and speaker are listed though

I did ePSA tests and clicked No to hear the error beeps but there were no beeps

even at that time.

One thing I am guessing is that I had given my computer to technician for

fan cleaning and possibly he left some speaker wire unconnected. Could it

be the case? Why would windows show speaker in device list then. I dont see

any red crosses on volume symbol on taskbar which is characteristic of sound problems.

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

Jump to solution

Most of the Dell laptops with Realtek audio come with some version of WavesMaxx audio enhancement software. The enhancements only work with the Realtek driver, not with the native driver. The difference you hear between the two drivers might be due to WavesMaxx.

Suggest you open the Dell Audio panel (look for it in the Windows Control Panel -- if it is not there, Saltgrass might explain where to look. He says that in the newer models it is no longer in the Control Panel).

In the Dell Audio panel there should be some controls for WavesMaxx. If you see one for MaxxLeveler, turn it off as it could  cause volume fluctuations. Try the settings for music to improve the bass. This screen shot is from a Latitude E5550.

Are there any alternative to Realtek you can suggest which is good for all kinds of sounds that I can try?

As far as audio drivers, your laptop has a Realtek audio chip on the motherboard so you have to use the native driver or some  version of Realtek driver. For Windows 10, Dell has only released one audio driver for the Inspiron 3521, and that was the Realtek 6.0.1.7520 a year and a half ago. That should be the one you have now.

Dell has released one driver for Windows 8.1 and two drivers for Windows 8. One of those might work in Windows 10, but you would have to completely remove the 6.0.1.7520 version from the system first, and turn off  Windows Updates. Might or might not have to use compatibility mode while installing.

You can find all of the drivers that Dell has released on the Inspiron 3521 html page.

You can also get a Realtek driver directly from the Realtek site.

1.Go to the Realtek downloads selection page. http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/
2. On the page click on "High Definition Audio Codecs".
3. Check "I accept" and then "next".
4. (optional) In the column named "Description" find the file named README and download it. That has the instructions for installing or updating.
5. In the column named "Description" select your operating system and whether it is 32bits or 64bits from the top 2 choices in the list.
6. In the column named "Download" click on one of the server names to download the driver.

Another option is to install a system-wide equalizer with pre-sets that you can select for various kinds of audio. There are not many system-wide eq's available. I am using one called Equalizer APO with Peace on my Latitude with Windows 7 and find it to be a great tool, but Windows 10 handles audio differently from 7 so don't know how good it would work on that OS. Also it can be a little tricky to install.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

Jump to solution

I did ePSA tests and clicked No to hear the error beeps but there were no beeps

That means that the speakers have failed or become disconnected. The problem with the speakers is not related to Windows, drivers, or other software.

One thing I am guessing is that I had given my computer to technician for fan cleaning and possibly he left some speaker wire unconnected. Could it be the case?

Sure.

Why would windows show speaker in device list then.

It doesn't literally mean the speakers. Windows has no way of knowing whether the speakers have failed or not. It means the output from the audio chip to the speakers, the signal path, which is probably working fine in the chip.

0 Kudos
CelVance
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Yes it is MaxxSense on my computer, I have experimented with its MaxxLeveler and bass enhancers but it simply doesn't sound good, it sounds muffled even vocals on music when unticking some options and maximizing bass. It's just not good for music but fine with movies as I've said. The native driver output for music is better but not for movies though.

Is it safe to uninstall Realtek without losing sound completely? Maybe try to reinstall.

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

Jump to solution

Is it safe to uninstall Realtek without losing sound completely? Maybe try to reinstall.

If you right click on the Realtek driver in Device Manager, and select "uninstall", but do not check the box to remove the driver files, then when you reboot, Windows will rebuild the same driver from the files on the hard drive. It will be the same Realtek driver but all of the settings will have been restored to their defaults. That's one way to re-install the driver.

If you right click on the Realtek driver in Device Manager, and select "uninstall", but do check the box to remove the driver files, then when you reboot, Windows will not have a way to rebuild the Realtek driver and so will install the native driver in its place.  [An exception to this is if other versions of the Realtek driver had been previously downloaded. If Windows finds those files then it will build that version of the Realtek driver.]

0 Kudos
CelVance
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I noticed one 2013 and two or three 2015 Realtek when trying to install the native driver. I'd like to uninstall Realtek from Programs and Features. Would it be OK as you've mentioned Realtek has a chip on the motherboard - if I understood that correctly? I mean I'd like to remove all Realtek on my computer and try to download and re-install it again.

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

Jump to solution

I'd like to uninstall Realtek from Programs and Features.

You can uninstall it from there. That should have the same result as :

If you right click on the Realtek driver in Device Manager, and select "uninstall", but do check the box to remove the driver files, then when you reboot, Windows will not have a way to rebuild the Realtek driver and so will install the native driver in its place.  [An exception to this is if other versions of the Realtek driver had been previously downloaded. If Windows finds those files then it will build that version of the Realtek driver.]

When you successfully remove the Realtek files, Windows will install the native driver. You can install a Realtek driver right over the native driver -- don't need to remove it.

I noticed one 2013 and two or three 2015 Realtek when trying to install the native driver

If you mean the ones on the Inspiron 3521 html page that I linked to earlier, look in the "Supported OS" column. WT means the driver is for Win10. WB means Win 8.1. Win 7 & 8 are plainly identified.

If you want to try more than one, install from earlier to later, because you can install a newer driver over an older one without removing the older one first.

The Realtek versions for Win 8 and 8.1 might install okay, but might need to use compatibility mode. If you need instructions for compatibility mode let me know.

0 Kudos
CelVance
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

No, what I meant was when updating Realtek to install the native driver in Device Manager.

Now I uninstalled Realtek and they all are gone. Kindly help me what I should download from the below snip from Realtek's site that'd work best for my originally Windows 8 Inspiron upgraded to Windows 10.

0 Kudos
CelVance
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I uninstalled Realtek but Windows brought it back anew though Windows Update. But the problem remains. So I don't have to download but to update the driver which will be all the same. I guess I have to make do and be contented with the native driver. Disappointing.

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

Jump to solution

On the Realtek site, either the 1st one or the 2nd one, depending on whether you have 32-bit or 64-bit Windows.

About Windows Updates, you have to disable it to be able to have the drivers of your choice. With some versions of Win10, you can't disable it, with some you can.

0 Kudos