Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 17th, 2013 15:00

Dell Inspiron Duo 1090 - 32bit or 64bit OS....

I need some help, please. I purchased a used Dell Inspiron Duo back in October. I could not get the previous owner's name removed from the Users. I'm not sure if it's just Windows 7 that I'm not familiar with or what cause I can usually accomplish most tasks such as that. I googled and searched for answers, tried suggestions and ended up somehow making it so Internet Explorer would not run unless you were to switch users and log in as a guest. Anyway, I resorted to paying someone to uninstall/reinstall the OS yesterday. I'm not comfortable enough to do that myself, though now I'm second guessing my choice of repair technician. I didn't receive the OS reinstall disk. I'm quite sure that this computer was running a 32bit OS before and now it is running 64bit. I'm not familiar with all the details of the difference between the two. I just want to make sure that this computer can correctly run the 64bit version. Also, the media contol keys (volume, play, pause....) that are located on the top row of f-keys (in red print) will not work unless you hold the blue "fn" key down. It was not like this before. And it seems way backwards to me since the "fn" and the f-keys are in blue print and the media controls are in red print. I've questioned the guy I had perform the install about this and he just said something like, "It might be a bug that will be fixed in a future update". Since it's still installing Windows Updates, I've not really been able to use the computer to see if there are any other issues. I'm wanting to ask him for half, if not all, of my money back. I'm not usually that type of person though and don't want to jump the gun if it will in fact be resolved once completely up to date. Thanks in advance for any feedback/assistance!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 17th, 2013 15:00

There have been plenty of stories on the forum of people trying to run 64-bit Windows -- and having it not work well.  Dell has drivers only for 32-bit Windows 7 for this system  -- 64-bit is not supported.  What you're seeing is not a "bug" that will be fixed in the future -- it's the fact that there are not drivers to fully support the system under 64-bit Windows.

www.dell.com/.../inspiron-duo

No Events found!