Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

5 Posts

February 3rd, 2009 16:00

Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop black screened :(

So yeah, I've been googling the heck out of this, and no luck so I think my laptop is pretty much dead. Maybe someone here can at least tell me exactly what my problem is.

My old charger died, it refused to charge my battery saying I was using the wrong AC adapter even though I was using Dell's. So I was forced to buy another. After using my computer from outlet power for days I finally get my new adapter, and it works perfectly, no problems. I'm using it for about an hour, its charging my battery etc no errors then suddenly my screen goes black. I assumed it went into standby for some reason. It comes back on, then goes black again. This time it won't come back on. I had to hold the power button to shut it down. Now whenever I turn the computer on my LCD remains illuminated, but black. I tried doing the hold FN key then turn on the computer but I get no beeps, only the LED Lock blinking codes. And unless I'm mistaken, it looks like it is giving me 3:

FLASH FLASH ON (2 blinks)

then

FLASH FLASH FLASH (1 blink)

and finally

ON FLASH FLASH (15-20 blinks)

I tried reseating my ram, no luck. I wish I could send it in to dell but my warranty ended back in July.

If this can't be fixed by me, is it possible to extend a warranty that is dead for 47 dollars, and have them fix it for free? If not, what are my options?

Thanks for reading guys

P.S. I hope this is in the right forum, if not I apoligize

1.6K Posts

February 3rd, 2009 16:00

It's almost certainly a failed mainboard - and in general if the warranty has expired, they won't extended it.  This is an expensive part to replace - about $400 for the board plus the labor to install it.

5 Posts

February 3rd, 2009 17:00

Thanks. Do Dell representitives read these forums and post responses? I'd feel more comfortable hearing it from one of them that I won't be wasting money.

Thanks for your help husky0894!

1.6K Posts

You can try it - if you can do that, it's a bargain.

5 Posts

Really? Hrm, it shows up as an option if I click extend warranty, and it gets added to my shopping cart.

Return to Depot till 7/26/2009 -- 1 year(s)

5 Posts

February 3rd, 2009 20:00

Bump

1 Message

February 4th, 2009 18:00

I'd be very interested in hearing what you find out Securis as my laptop is now out of warranty and I was considering repurchasing a warranty myself.

5 Posts

February 4th, 2009 20:00

Yeah, I'm waiting on a Dell representitive to reply to this thread. =/

No Events found!