Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

October 21st, 2017 08:00

Dell Inspiron FREEZES after 2-10 minutes

Hi all,

I posted my issue in "laptops" but it said that a moderator must first approve my problem.

So, since I am desperate and really need help, I post it again here. 

Thank you for your help.

Since 48 h my Inspiron started freezing. It is stopping doing anything, and I lose mouse and keyboard, and have to hard reboot. It does the same in safe mode. 

I can do some simple things, like unistall a programs. But windows update or open Chrome is already too much, and it freezes. In rare cases, it come to life again some instants after, and then dies again.

I can see in Glasswire history that it stops any internet activity after freezing.

I wonder if he's doing something in the background that is taking all its resources. When I open windows update history, I see that there are many failed update trials since 2 days. 

I opened scandisk, and it says I don't need a scan, there is no problem.

I also tried to restore, but all the 3 restore points I have in store failed to install.

The version of Inspiron I have is tropicalized, so it should not be a temperature issue (resists to 60°C).

I could try to refresh windows, but I would lose all my applications. And not sure if this fixes the issue.

I did not install any new program or something. Some days ago I run malwarebytes through, and it didn't find any malware. 

It happened suddenly, I haven't had this problem before. What I had before was just slowness and lengthy boot time, but no freezing.

Please help, this is DESPERATE.  I am writing you with my old Acer, but I need my Dell to work. I am working on that non stop since 36 hours now. I really need my laptop working again.

Thank you

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 21st, 2017 16:00

:emotion-2:

Please list exact Dell model number and version of windows. Example: Dell Inspiron 3543, windows 10

If you don't know, type msinfo32 onto the search box and then stroll down to System Model

In the meantime, please check out the information in the link below, hopefully it will be of help.

Troubleshooting System Lock Ups or Freezes | Dell US

134 Posts

October 22nd, 2017 08:00

INSPIRON 3437

WINDOWS 10

I performed a diagnostic with F12, it didn't find any issues, except the absence of the battery, which had died very quickly.

BTW thinking of the loud beep tones it made while doing this test, I remember that some weeks ago it made this same very loud beep beeps when booting. For about 10 seconds, which was pretty scaring, but then started normally.

Thank you

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

After the quick tests in diagnostic( F12 key) you click on hard drive and select Thorough Test Mode? Also Memory as well? Please report any error code. I'm making sure the freezing isn't cause by any hardware on the system.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

If there isn't any error code:

I suggest uninstalling Chrome. There are reports that some of the add-ons (Chrome) are causing freezing on some computer. You could always come back later and reinstall Chrome. Also, if McAfee Anti virus is on the system, I suggest uninstalling it as well and go with Microsoft window defender.

Windows 10 – Windows Defender Antivirus - Microsoft

134 Posts

October 22nd, 2017 09:00

Thanks

Cortana doesn't react. I previously tried to type msconfig in the search box, and it just does nothing.

I can't download the last windows updates, because it freezes before even finding it.

I can't even update windows defender, for the same reason.

Now I will uninstall Chrome and Mc Afee, and redo the F12 test and try to find if there is a deeper test option. Already uninstalled Avast. (and not able to reinstall it...)

Will come back with the results

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 22nd, 2017 09:00

" I see that there are many failed update "

A failed windows update could cause the system to freeze up. Microsoft  provide important drivers and firmware (Windows Updates)for your system. Type Troubleshoot onto the [Cortana] search box, click View All, and then run Windows Update Troubleshooter.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 22nd, 2017 10:00

McAfee and Avast on the system at the same time will definite cause a freezing problem.

Why Using Multiple Antivirus Programs is a Bad Idea ...

Running Multiple Antivirus Programs - Kaspersky Lab

134 Posts

October 22nd, 2017 11:00

Hi again

I uninstalled Chrome, then was able to update windows defender, and run a virus check (no issue found).

Now I am downloading windows updates

... and always no freeze

Conclusion, the culprit must be Chrome (which was working in the background, as I found out)

I searched for "google chrome freezes windows 10" and indeed, this seems to be a frequent issues, without any real solution.

The weird thing is that I still use Chrome on my old Acer laptop (which I use to write you this message... in Chrome) and there is no freezing. Even though there are the exact same extensions and also Avast and Mc Afee installed here (Mc Afee was not my intention, it was placed here by another program, and since it didn't cause harm, I let it sit)

Some people said the freezing is not happening in incognito mode.

So, my primary issue is solved, however I use google apps a lot, so I need to find a way to reistall it without causing a drama.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion!! At least I can work now, and don't have to do a complete reset.

PS Bizarre that it wasn't able to recover one of my restoration points, but at the end, it's better it didn't.

:-)

Anybody knows how to fix this chrome problem on Dell?

134 Posts

October 22nd, 2017 11:00

Maybe the issue is not Chrome itself but flashplayer for Chrome or something else adobe-like?

Just thinking....

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 22nd, 2017 12:00

I'd suggest you reinstalled Chrome and disable any unnecessary add-ons / extensions that you don't want in the browser.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 22nd, 2017 12:00

I was preferring to some of the add-ons that Chrome provide.

Manage Add-ons in Google Chrome

I do believe having two major Anti -virus software on one computer is your culprit for the freezing problem.

EDIT / Why Using Multiple Antivirus Programs is a Bad Idea:

1. They will try to kill each other. Because antivirus programs search your system for programs that are monitoring and sending information about your system, a competing antivirus program that is monitoring and sending information about your system tends to look like a virus, so it will attempt to block it and remove it.

2. They will fight over viruses....

3. .They will sap your power.....

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 22nd, 2017 13:00

Lastly,

Download / run the free version of CCleaner - Official Site. The tool will clean up all the junk on system that could be slowing / freezing up the computer. You can even run the Startup utility in CCleaner to disable any unnecessary programs in your startup. It much better than windows task manager startup.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 23rd, 2017 08:00

Any update Chrisadell ?

134 Posts

October 23rd, 2017 08:00

Thanks for checkin' in

Not yet.

Now that my computer is in stable mode, I am pretty scared to reinstall Chrome and have to hard boot again. It's freaking stressful, I am scared that with so many forced reboots I will end up damaging my hard disk.

I am running full Virus scan now with Windows defender (deleted mcafee). This takes a bit of time.

I also fully updated windows.

Cortana search bar always not working.

Anyway, I will need to reinstall Chrome, cuze some of my apps only work in Chrome, such as wevideo.com that runs only in Chrome.

Seems that Google rolled out version 61 - not sure if this one will make things better or worse.

Since I have the same Chrome settings on my two laptops, and they are connected through my google profile, I run some diagnostic on my second laptop, like Chrome conflicts search and Chrome Cleaner. No issues found so far.

After reinstalling Chrome I will be back and report. :-)

134 Posts

October 24th, 2017 08:00

oops I posted twice the same

No Events found!