Scorpwanna
1 Nickel

Re: Dell Inspiron Mini 10 Factory Restore

Jump to solution

LMAO at this thread still being active for 2 years. The laptop was sent back those 2 years ago. It's cool that help for this problem is being found. I was personally told by dell that my laptop did not come with a factory restore.

Ruuudy
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thank you!!! I'm glad I read your post!!!

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

Mine would not do F8 or CTRL F11 restore with the keyboard on the machine but would if a USB keyboard was attached before it was powered on.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

FabianM
1 Copper

Jump to solution

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=DSN_362066&isLegacy=true

Just did a restore on mine.

• F8 Several times after Dell logo and before the OS starts, This should bring up Advanced Boot Options
  • Use keyboard to select Repair Your Computer
  • This will bring up a GUI, clock Dell Factory Image Restore
  • Select Yes to Reformat and restore system to factory condition
Worked Great!
0 Kudos
Graphite07
1 Copper

Jump to solution

i have a dell Inspiron mini with windows 7.  tryed the F8 but i see no advanced boot options. i do not see how to restore this computer. why does'nt dell just include a restore disc. cheap  company cant offer support like thye used to....

any help how to reformat this

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

All Dell Mini 10's come with factory restore partition.  XP versions use the CTRL F11 which I've had issues with unless using USB keyboard.  And F8 recovery for Vista and Windows 7.  However if you upgraded the windows from the original version the factory restore may no longer work.  There are ways to repair this for XP using DSRfix.  The New Dell Datasafe partition is encrypted and is usually lost when upgrading unless recovery media was made BEFORE doing any updates.  The Dell Datasafe recovery can restore the original Factory setup to a drive at least the same size as the original drive.

here

7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

Go out and Buy a 16 Gig good quality FAST USB 2.0 flash drive.  The Dell Datasafe utility will backup the diag and restore partitions and the factory image onto the flash drive.  Dell provides this with all their systems.

here

mspatrice
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you so much, I had the same problem and your post helped me fix it!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
cards2012
1 Copper

Jump to solution

if you have the partition and xp but none of the above options work, FLASH THE BIOS

0 Kudos
Rusty-G
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi, I have read all posts with interest as have very similar problem.

I have a Dell Inspiron mini 1011 (bought Dec 09) running Windows XP, but have no optical drive, nor any backup discs. I have an external hard drive which I have already backed up all my necessary files to. Following the steps above to check, it appears that there is a small partition on the machine. Finally, I have attached a separate keyboard to aid with he following steps...

Ctrl+F11 does not bring up anything despite over a dozen attempts. I've also tried just F11 on it's own.

F12 brings up the Boot Menu with +Hard Drive // +USB Storage // CD/DVD/CD-RW // Removable Devices // Network Boot and Enter Setup which then opens the BIOS Setup Utility you get when pressing F2.

F8 brings up a Windows Advanced Options Menu but without the option to "Repair Your Computer", only the following...

Safe Mode // Safe Mode with Networking // Safe Mode with Command Prompt // Enable Boot Logging // Enable VGA Mode // Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) // Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only) // Debugging Mode // Disable automatic restart on system failure // Start Windows Normally // Reboot.

So after 2 days of searching the web I now have the follwing unanswered questions... can I perform a factory settings reformat of the notebook without the need for discs? If not, is it possible to perform the manual reformat using the external hard drive instead of CD's?

Any help on this would be great, even if it's to say that it's not possible so I can stop looking for an answer that doesn't exist!

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos