Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 5th, 2009 01:00

Dell Inspiron Mini 10 Factory Restore

I can't seem to find where to factory restore my new Dell Inspiron Mini 1010. The manual gives me steps for pressing F8 several times.. on boot to go to the Vista Advanced Boot Options and then selecting Repair Your Computer. Then blah blah blah click Dell Factory Image Restore. The only problem is, the dell inspiron mini 10's come with XP not vista... Why does the manual say vista? I've delt with Dell factory restores in the past. but this one has got me going in circles.

EDIT: January, 8th 2012

This post needs to be marked as solved or answered. It was officially over 2 years ago yet for some reason it keeps getting answered and being forwarded to my email. It's done, over... It was taken back 3 years ago, please do not respond to this post anymore. Thanks!

6 Posts

October 10th, 2011 20:00

Thank you!!! I'm glad I read your post!!!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 11th, 2011 08:00

Mine would not do F8 or CTRL F11 restore with the keyboard on the machine but would if a USB keyboard was attached before it was powered on.

1 Message

October 14th, 2011 14:00

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=DSN_362066&isLegacy=true

Just did a restore on mine.

• F8 Several times after Dell logo and before the OS starts, This should bring up Advanced Boot Options
  • Use keyboard to select Repair Your Computer
  • This will bring up a GUI, clock Dell Factory Image Restore
  • Select Yes to Reformat and restore system to factory condition
Worked Great!

1 Message

November 4th, 2011 19:00

i have a dell Inspiron mini with windows 7.  tryed the F8 but i see no advanced boot options. i do not see how to restore this computer. why does'nt dell just include a restore disc. cheap  company cant offer support like thye used to....

any help how to reformat this

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 5th, 2011 10:00

All Dell Mini 10's come with factory restore partition.  XP versions use the CTRL F11 which I've had issues with unless using USB keyboard.  And F8 recovery for Vista and Windows 7.  However if you upgraded the windows from the original version the factory restore may no longer work.  There are ways to repair this for XP using DSRfix.  The New Dell Datasafe partition is encrypted and is usually lost when upgrading unless recovery media was made BEFORE doing any updates.  The Dell Datasafe recovery can restore the original Factory setup to a drive at least the same size as the original drive.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 5th, 2011 10:00

Go out and Buy a 16 Gig good quality FAST USB 2.0 flash drive.  The Dell Datasafe utility will backup the diag and restore partitions and the factory image onto the flash drive.  Dell provides this with all their systems.

4 Posts

December 11th, 2011 07:00

Thank you so much, I had the same problem and your post helped me fix it!

1 Message

December 24th, 2011 12:00

if you have the partition and xp but none of the above options work, FLASH THE BIOS

1 Message

January 2nd, 2012 05:00

Hi, I have read all posts with interest as have very similar problem.

I have a Dell Inspiron mini 1011 (bought Dec 09) running Windows XP, but have no optical drive, nor any backup discs. I have an external hard drive which I have already backed up all my necessary files to. Following the steps above to check, it appears that there is a small partition on the machine. Finally, I have attached a separate keyboard to aid with he following steps...

Ctrl+F11 does not bring up anything despite over a dozen attempts. I've also tried just F11 on it's own.

F12 brings up the Boot Menu with +Hard Drive // +USB Storage // CD/DVD/CD-RW // Removable Devices // Network Boot and Enter Setup which then opens the BIOS Setup Utility you get when pressing F2.

F8 brings up a Windows Advanced Options Menu but without the option to "Repair Your Computer", only the following...

Safe Mode // Safe Mode with Networking // Safe Mode with Command Prompt // Enable Boot Logging // Enable VGA Mode // Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) // Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only) // Debugging Mode // Disable automatic restart on system failure // Start Windows Normally // Reboot.

So after 2 days of searching the web I now have the follwing unanswered questions... can I perform a factory settings reformat of the notebook without the need for discs? If not, is it possible to perform the manual reformat using the external hard drive instead of CD's?

Any help on this would be great, even if it's to say that it's not possible so I can stop looking for an answer that doesn't exist!

Thanks in advance

2 Posts

January 2nd, 2012 15:00

F8 is the key... Instruction manual says to hit several times to access the advanced options window.

Keep hitting F8 till the Dell logo screen goes off... u should then see the menu to do complete system restore

or back to factory settings.

4 Posts

January 7th, 2012 09:00

I did it by restart, as soon as blue bar across top with writing below it - immediately ctr-f11- worked for me

4 Posts

January 7th, 2012 09:00

woo hoo on this end also.  thanks so much for the exact step to get this to work:emotion-2: 

2 Posts

January 8th, 2012 07:00

F8 is the key... Instruction manual says to hit several times to access the advanced options window.

Keep hitting F8 till the Dell logo screen goes off... u should then see the menu to do complete system restore

or back to factory settings.

Hope this helps... I actually gave mine away so I can't look at the keyboard.

1 Message

January 8th, 2012 07:00

I have a dell mini 10. The mini is showing a reminder helper of an unknown error. I was going to restore it and found the keyboard was up to F10 on it, Where do I find the F11 key at????

Thanks,

AnitaReid

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 8th, 2012 15:00

F11 is not on the kbd you have to attach a usb keyboard and then turn it on.  same for f8 on my dell.

No Events found!