Highlighted
1 Copper

Dell Inspiron N5010 - how to turn on/off the touchpad?

Jump to solution

Probably this question has been raised several times, but I simply can't find an answer to it.

How do I turn off the touchpad? The little button right by F12 does NOT work, and it is annoys me a lot, to the point where I am considering selling the laptop, and getting one that doesn't have this annoying problem - probably not a Dell one.

Can somebody tell me how can I turn off the touchpad? The OS is Windows 7, the laptop is an Inspiron N5010.

Thanks for the answer in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Dell Inspiron N5010 - how to turn on/off the touchpad?

Jump to solution

BY XTIAN1020- I have the same problems and the downloading of R257288.exe did not did the trick. Well It just did now.. This is what I have done.. You need to manually install it under C>dell>drivers>R257288>Setup..

I hope that helps.. I am happy that I was able to disable my touchpad.. Even the button near f12 is working properly 🙂

View solution in original post

28 Replies
Highlighted
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

You might be able to turn it off in the touchpad control pad (go to Mouse in the Control Panel).

If your problem is the cursor dancing around when you are typing, try the free TouchFreeze. It shuts down the panel as soon as you start typing.

This problem is VERY common to ALL laptops, and is due to dangling fingers while typing. You don't need to even touch the pad if the pad is too sensitive. You might be able to set the pad sensitivity level in the Pad Control Panel, but this doesn't always help.

If you have an ALPS pad, you could go to the Toshiba site and look for the latest ALPS driver. It has more options than the Dell driver, and works fine.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I just had this problem , go to the start button > control panel > hardware and sound > then at the top select mouse > then at the top tabs on the new window go to device settings > then you'll see a new window containing the name of your laptop the under that you will see three buttons that say enable, disable, and settings you can click on enable or diable then click OK .

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi,

In my case I want to turn  the touchpad back on as I turned it off by accident whilst cleaning the keypad and monitor.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

What is the answer ? its blank

1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hello ,

you just need to download and install driver for touchpad.

I had same problem , and after installing driver from website I can enable/disable touchpad with button right by F12.

Filename is R257288.exe.

Best regards

Dejan Radisic

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

NONE of these suggestion above work, I tried them ALL

THe tab next to the F12 button DOES NOT WORK AT ALL OR DO ANYTHING BUT ANNOY YOU LIKE AN ELEVATOR BUTTON

There is NO TAB MARKED "DEVICE SETTINGS" under the mouse

Downloading & running R257288.exe DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

WHY IS IT SO GO%%AMN HARD TO HAVE A WAY TO  TURN OFF THE FUQING TOUCH PAD

WHY DO WE HAVE TO REVERT TO USING COTTON AND PLASTIC TAPED TO A LAPTOP TO TURN OFF A SIMPLE DEVICE?

I have bought my LAST DELL

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I can understand your frustration being that I am in the exact same situation. I have read this thread, many other blogs and sources online, installed the drivers and BIOS, and have talked to a family member who is even more tech savvy than I am in order to find a solution to this problem, but nothing has worked. I am starting to think that the easiest way to disable the touchpad on this computer would be for me to take apart the laptop and cut the wires attached to the touchpad (but of course I won’t do that because I hate this computer and in order to sell it I don’t want to start cutting wires to depreciate its monetary value).

Because of this Dell touchpad that cannot be disabled, whenever I type my words they often type throughout the page wherever the mouse arrow is due to the fact that my left palm is pressing on the edge of the touchpad and tapping anywhere near the touchpad is perceived as a “click”. My old computer is a six year old HP Pavilion, but it is far more useful than this new piece of junk because I can actually type on it with ease (Yes! There is actually a button above my HP’s touchpad that does in fact disable it! What a crazy idea!).

Highlighted
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Is there a touchpad driver installed? If so, then you will find an option to disable the pad under the touchpad tab by clicking MOUSE in the Control Panel. If you don't see a touchpad option, then the driver has not been installed. If the correct driver is installed, you will see the option. With many models, the MOUSE program will show a large touchpad icon under the Touchpad tab; click this icon to get to the options.

XPS M1530, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Inspiron E1705, Win 10 CU Pro 32-bit
Dimension 9100, Win 10 AU Pro 32 bit
Inspiron 660, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Inspiron 3668, Win 10 CU 64 bit
Asus T100 Tablet, Windows 10 CU 32 bit

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

"If the correct driver is installed" -You are right. I did not install the correct driver. Luckily just today was able to get help from someone and found out that for my Dell Insperon M5010 I needed to install the 15.0.0.1  version:

After intalling it I went to Control Panel, clicked on "Hardware and Sound," clicked "Mouse," then under "Deivice Settings" I was able to disable the touchpad then apply it.

This has been the most difficult and time consuming technological issue I have ever encountered. I am going to guess many others have run into this problem, and it will be very annoying if they can't find the right driver to install.