Laptops General - Read Only

Last reply by 08-29-2016 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Dell Inspiron N5110 Factory Reset Help

I'm trying to do a factory reset on my Dell laptop. I didn't receive a CD when I bought it so I tried doing it through the BIOS. I hit F8 repeatedly and got to the repair your computer screen. I selected that option and then it shows a screen that says Windows loading files. Unfortunately, after that it just freezes once the loading bar is full. Then after maybe 10 minutes it goes to resuming Windows normally (I assume a time out of some sort). 

Is there another way to do a factory reset? Like I said I don't have the CD because it didn't come with it. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong? Thanks

Replies (18)
10 Diamond

Can you get the system to start up from a standard Windows install DVD?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

No luck.   At this point, I am out of options.

Not quite you aren't! I know I myself find the dell recovery options to most of the time not work and be useless as well! I ran into this issue as well, and plan on solving it in the near future. 

By creating a way to clone your valid copy of windows (just the OS [no other files / data on your hd]) which would work sort of like a windows installer disc, but would allow you to reinstall your OS onto your same computer at least (possibly new / other computers as well) as many times as you want without it 'counting' as a re-install... (where windows will start wanting you to buy a new product key after a few installations) 

Until I figure that out though... Here's what you can do...

Go to control panel -> system and security -> system... 

Write down your product key (it also may be on a sticker on the bottom of your pc ,in which case I would still write it down)

Take note of your exact version of windows...

Now here's the tricky part... Find a factory untouched(not modified by a 3rd party) Windows installer disc ISO for your exact version of windows. Try TPB ;) (don't be scared [and look for the purple / aim for a purple skull if its there and/or read comments])

1. Burn the ISO disc image file to disc (IMGBURN if unsure what to use) or make a bootable USB Windows Installer disc (search online many resources for that)

2. Backup all your files you want and boot from the USB or disc installer that you made!

3. Before installing delete all partitions and create new ones how you want and format them!

4. Proceed with clean install and use your valid product key when asked for it, you should be up and running in your second mark against your product key. (I think you get 3-4 uses) If you have used up all your uses usually microsoft will be nice and you can give them your old used up product key and they'll give you instructions and a new code you can use to activate it once more!

5. You're up and running in your environment once again, and with a fresh start! :)

Look forward to my software coming out! Unlike cloning your entire hard drive making it so you have to when you first freshly got the computer you would've had to make your clone backup then. (which most people forget to do or just are using their new computer so neglect to do it)

Instead it only clones the necessary system files to get you back up and running with the same product key already set up, not having to 'use' it again.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Steve, thanks so much for your help.

I did (most) of what you suggested.   Here is what I did differently and it worked great.

1 - before starting I went to the Dell support page and discovered and downloaded the specific drivers for the wireless card (there were 5 drivers that my service tag identified:  wireless, audio, video, bluetooth and one other...I burned them all to a DVD)

2 - I didn't bother partitioning and formatting because once I hit F12 and chose 'boot from CD/DVD" the new installation of Windows asks if you want to format 'C' drive...I said yes,

3 - When windows was installed, I installed the drivers and went onto Dell's support site.  I chose what remaining 3rd party software I wanted from there.   Using the Microsoft Office Key that came with the laptop, I Googled and found a place where Microsoft allowed me to download and install Office.

4 - Finally, rather than using the McAfee AV that came with the laptop originally, I downloaded and installed AVG Free, which is (IMO) the best free version of AV.

By taking what you recommended and adding these four steps, I now have a clean version of Windows, only the software I want and it boots and runs like a new computer.   

Thanks again, Steve.  I owe you!

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi there

I also need to do a full factory restore on my dell inspiron n5110 and im following your suggestion. On my laptop though, there is no 

Dell Factory Image Recovery and DataSafe options. 

It stops at the command Prompt option.

Is there anything else I Can do.

Shannon

10 Diamond

The only thing you can do at this point is contact Dell to purchase a set of recovery media for your system.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

How do go about making one please lt me asap Thank you kindly!!!!!

7 Thorium

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Anonymous
Not applicable

Stafa Band Sudah dibantu, semoga kembali lancar

Not applicable

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor