Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 14th, 2013 11:00

Dell Inspiron N5110 motherboard

Hi all. I have a Dell Inspiron N5110 laptop that the warranty has expired.

I am having a battery charging issue where the AC adapter LED light goes off whenever I plug the other end to the laptop (the LED is on when only one end is plugged to the electrical socket). Based on what I read in the forum, this suggests there is a problem with the motherboard. I also played around with the AC adapter to laptop connection yesterday where I inserted it half/full way in - wanted to see at which point the LED would go off. I heard some zzzzt sound followed by a burning smell.

My questions are:

. Are all Dell Inspiron N5110 motherboard the same? Do I have to pry open my laptop and read the motherboard model/serial/part# before I can order a new one? Ideally I am thinking to open the laptop, get the bad motherboard out, put the good motherboard in and close it up. I hate to leave it hanging while waiting for the new part to ship.

. Any other parts that could have been damaged from my playing with the connector/burning smell encountered?

Thank you for your time and suggestions.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 14th, 2013 11:00

Not all 5110 boards are the same.  There are some that have only Intel GPUs, and others that have AMD or nVidia GPUs.  You should be able to identify yours by part number (support.dell.com, use service tag to look up the original configuration).

It is possible the CPU, hard drive and/or memory was damaged - you have no way to know without testing them on another system or by replacing the board.

3.1K Posts

August 14th, 2013 12:00

Hi dellinspironowner,

As ejn63 mentioned, there isn't a way to tell which others parts might have gone bad without replacing the motherboard or testing on another system. As far as the part# for the motherboard is concerned, you may provide the service tag of the computer and the first and last name as it appears on the account via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation) so that I can check the system details and provide you with the part number.

August 14th, 2013 15:00

Thanks for your replies.

Appu, I have initiated a conversation with you.

I still have some battery power left and I could boot up the laptop fine, and my Sentinel harddisk program launched without an issue (also showing my harddisk health is ok). Does it narrow down the problem to motherboard only?

3.1K Posts

August 14th, 2013 16:00

Hi dellinspironowner,

I have replied to your private message with all the necessary information. Let me know if you have any further questions.

3.1K Posts

August 15th, 2013 17:00

Hi dellinspironowner,

Check the AC Adapter in BIOS; check the ‘AC Adapter type’ status if it shows ‘Unknown/  Not Detected / 65W / 90W / 130W.
*If you get the status as 'Unknown / Not Detected' then reset BIOS to defaults:

• Restart the computer, tap 'F2' key on Dell logo 4-5 times
  • This will take you to the main screen of BIOS
  • Press ‘F9’ key once, highlight ‘Yes’, press ‘Enter’
  • Press ‘F10’ key once, highlight ‘Yes’, press ‘Enter’

Also, check the Battery Health Meter:

• Right click on the battery icon on the taskbar
  • Choose ‘Dell Health Meter’
  • Click on ‘Battery Health’ tab
  • Examine the information shown in the window

However, as mentioned in your first post (I am having a battery charging issue where the AC adapter LED light goes off whenever I plug the other end to the laptop (the LED is on when only one end is plugged to the electrical socket). You also mentioned that you heard some noise followed by burning smell. All these point towards a motherboard issue.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

No Events found!