Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 8th, 2013 10:00

Dell Inspiron N5110 very slow and unpredictable

My Dell Inspiron N5110 has become very slow on startup, more so because of some C compiler from Microsoft that I installed a few days. It was not properly installed but now I am not able to locate it in the control panel so that I may uninstall it. Can anyone suggest a remedy for that? And also, I run MATLAB on my laptop for nearly 13-14 hrs a day. Does that make the system slow too? My laptop is 2 yrs old, but I have just replaced the battery. Thanks for any help

July 8th, 2013 10:00

Hi thanxforyourhelp,

Slow system performance might be due to various reasons. My suggestion would be to run the diagnostics on the system to check the hardware functionality. You may follow the steps below :

• Power on the computer
  • Press F12 button when you see Dell logo on the screen
  • Highlight the Diagnostics option and press Enter
  • Note down error messages if any and reply with the outcome

If the diagnostics pass, I would suggest you to perform a thorough virus/malware scan on system using a good antivirus program. You may also try running the computer in safe mode and see if the issue persists. For booting the system in Safe Mode, you may refer to Microsoft article Here

If no infections are found and the issue persists, you may run msconfig and disable unnecessary startup items. For more information, you may refer to article Here.

Please reply if you have any questions.

July 8th, 2013 22:00

Yes, thanks. It helped. Now the system is faster on startup.

However, I do need to know two things.

1. I work on the laptop with MATLAB for nearly 14 hours continuously. Is it fine? Or do I need to shut down the system in between or something?

2. A few days back, I installed a C compiler from Microsoft website. But the installation was not completed properly. Now, I want to uninstall it, but it is not visible in the control panel. What should I do? And also, people are telling me to get the registry and PC Cleanup. What is it and would it help?

July 9th, 2013 16:00

Hi thanxforyourhelp,

The answer's to your questions are as follows :

• You may keep using the system as long as it is situated at a well ventilated place and used under normal operating temperatures.
  • If the program is not listed in Control Panel -> Uninstall a program, you may use third party uninstallers to clean the computer. For ex Revo uninstaller.
  • Registry and PC cleanup software might help in enhancing the performance of system by getting rid of cluttered entries in registry and also clean unnecessary or unused programs from computer. For ex Ccleaner.

Note : The above programs are neither tested nor endorsed by Dell. You may use these at your own discretion.

Hope this helps.

No Events found!