This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2013 23:00

Dell Inspiron SE 7520 heating at 90 Degree Celsius

Specs:

Core i5

AMD Radeon 7730M 2GB

500GB HD

4GB RAM

Its been 3 days my laptop has started heating this much. I'm just running firefox and the temperature never drops below 85 degrees. Playing games with keeping it on my lap is not even possible because this laptop will burn my lap. The fps are like 10-20 on csgo, where as my friend gets 35-50 fps with his GT630M (1GB) on his lenovo ideapad.

Its not that the vent's are blocked by dust or something I just checked them.

Any help ?

807 Posts

August 10th, 2013 06:00

updating the BIOS to the latest release may help...

www.dell.com/.../inspiron-15r-se-7520

14 Posts

August 11th, 2013 02:00

@paul, i updated now my laptop is not booting, it freezes with a black screen after windows logo appears. No login page is visible. Please help me.

807 Posts

August 11th, 2013 04:00

Boot to BIOS (F2) and reset to default values (check what setting you have for SATA controller). Save and Exit.

Also run a diagnostic (Boot to F12). Complete the Hardware diagnostic and also the extended memory test. Post back with results.

14 Posts

August 11th, 2013 05:00

@Paul- I did the test, at first stage it said everything was okay and there are no problems. But now at second stage, during the memory test it said, it would take 30 (or more minutes) and now its stuck at 95% since 15 minutes. About the multiposting, I got impatient and thought I should make a different post to express my urgency. God I swear I won't update my bios again. Thanks paul.

807 Posts

August 11th, 2013 05:00

An extended memory test can take up to an hour (maybe longer) so please be patient.

Did you reset BIOS to default settings and check the SATA Controller setting?

You may have to re-flash to your previous BIOS release, so please bear that in mind.

807 Posts

August 11th, 2013 12:00

OK....BIOS settings are good. Hardware diagnostics seem good, however, the thermal indicator warning is not.

Let the system cool down. Ensure the vents are clear and that the fan is running. If the system is running hot then the fan should be working overtime.

Re-flash the BIOS back to the version you were using originally.

14 Posts

August 11th, 2013 12:00

In bios setting I hit f9 and reset it to defaults, the sata thing had AHCI in front of it. All the tests were passed, every icon has a green check mark before it. It did show me a warning though saying,''a thermal indicator is out of range'' having temerature 100 degrees. My laptop went very hot. The problem persists.

14 Posts

August 11th, 2013 22:00

well, my original version was A02 how can i flash it if i can't boot in normal mode ? In safe mode ? Any special method ?

Edit: I can only see A04, A07, A09 and A10 versions available at dell's website.

807 Posts

August 12th, 2013 03:00

You need to reduce the CPU temps. It's this that's preventing the system from starting. Carefully use a hoover and a can of compressed air and clean the vents. Open the system and clean the fan assembly and the heatsink.

If the system is quite old (2 years) then the thermal pads / paste may need replacing.

Once the CPU temps are under control then I'm hopeful the system will boot up normally.

No Events found!