Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

MP

May 9th, 2017 06:00

Dell Inspiron black screen with mouse cursor before login

I really need some help! My laptop was working fine yesterday but the other day I opened the laptop and before the accounts sections there was this black screen! I can't do anything, please help me and please don't suggest the ctr+alt+del cause I already tried and nothing happened I also tried the sticky key method that failed too. Please help me ;-;

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

May 9th, 2017 15:00

Sorry on that, I didn't see the title showing the mouse cursor part. When the system starts up go ahead and run Diagnostics by pressing F12. Also, on this system you should try running it in Safemode (to see if the black screen w/ cursor follows), but I will need to know what version of Windows and Model the system is to help further. 

Best regards,

Brad 

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

May 9th, 2017 15:00

If you reset/power on the computer does the normal Dell screen appear, or does it look like it powers on but with a black screen? Or is it just a black screen once Windows loads?

Also what model is your system? 

If it does power on but the screen is just black, you could try using an external monitor. 

Best regards,

Brad

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

May 9th, 2017 17:00

The other day one of my screens was black after a video driver update.  Probably the install did not complete correctly but I was on the Desktop, I just could not see it.

If you are on the Desktop, you can use the Winkey+x up arrow up arrow right arrow u to shut the system down  Rebooting might get you back to normal.

A forced shutdown may do the same thing.  

An external monitor may also be useful.

May 9th, 2017 18:00

The model is Inspiron N4050 and I already tried Safe Mode and it didn't work ;-;

May 9th, 2017 23:00

Will no one help me?! My laptop is broken forever ;-;

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 10th, 2017 07:00

:emotion-2:

I'm assuming windows 7 is on the system.....

If you haven't run the diagnostic tool on the system, I suggest you do so by following the steps below:

1. Power off system

2. Power on system, quickly tap the F12 key continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen. In the boot menu, stroll down to Diagnostic and then click it.  After quick tests, click on Hard drive and then run Thorough Test Mode. Please report back any error code.

May 11th, 2017 01:00

I already tried and I found no errors what so ever, do I need to disassemble my laptop to fix it? Or call a professional. And how do I find what OS I am using?

May 11th, 2017 06:00

My Operating System is Windows 7, 64-bit and my Service Tag is 2STDNT1 hope you can help me :)

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

I'm going to take a guess here and say the system is running windows 7:

1. Power off system

2. Power on system, quickly tap the F8 key. Hopefully this will open the Advanced startup options.I

I'd suggest you first try the option " Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)". Please click on link below.

Advanced startup options (including safe mode) - Windows Help

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

No, you don't need to open the system but windows needs to be reinstalled. Good to know there aren't any error codes. Keep in mind, the diagnostic tool is to check the hardware on the system. Please turn over the laptop and then write down the service tag number. If you don't see it, look in the battery bay. You'll need the service tag to find the correct OS on the system.

How to find Dell Service Tag (Official Dell Tech Support ...

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

After you have wrote down the service tag number, enter it in the link below.

www.dell.com/.../

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 11th, 2017 07:00

Please follow steps above to see if you could get into the Advanced Boot Option. By the way, please delete service tag number

May 11th, 2017 18:00

I already tried everything except Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Enable Boot Logging, Directory Services Restore Mode and Debugging Mode cause I'm not good at coding if you could tell me what to put, and heres a video link of my problem - https://youtu.be/qNtS-V00mrg

May 11th, 2017 18:00

I already tried all of the Options except Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Enable Boot Logging, Directory Services Restore Mode and Debugging Mode cause I'm not good at coding, if you could tell me what to put, and heres a video link so you could see my problem even better - https://youtu.be/qNtS-V00mrg

May 11th, 2017 19:00

I tried every option except Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Enable Boot Logging, Directory Services Restore Mode and Debugging Mode. Do you have any Ideas left?

No Events found!