Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 4th, 2016 08:00

Dell Inspiron i7559 freezes

Recently bought a new laptop dell inspiron i7559 2 months back.

Was currently ingame Dark Souls 3 when my keyboard hung followed by my mouse and then my screen. I was unable to hard shutdown the laptop as the keyboard has hung and the power button does not work. I cant remove the battery as well since the laptop has an internal battery.

Would appreciate some help in solving this asap. As of right now writing this post im waiting for the laptop to drain its battery which is ridiculous to say the least.

2K Posts

July 9th, 2016 10:00

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for the update.

Apologies for delay in response as our site was under maintenance.

Have you tried playing any other games and check for the crash? Have you updated the BIOS and reinstalled the video drivers as suggested?

Keep us updated.

4 Posts

April 5th, 2017 02:00

Hi,

I'd like to report that I have absolutely the same issue with the same type of laptop - Dell Inspiron 7559. First keyboard stops, then mouse, then laptop freeze and I cannot shut it down with the power button. I have to unplug the laptop, then open the hood and unplug the battery cable.

I have this laptop for about 4 months and this happened 5 times. The windows 10 logs are filled with error:

: The embedded controller (EC) did not respond within the specified timeout period. This may indicate that there is an error in the EC hardware or firmware or that the BIOS is accessing the EC incorrectly. You should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS. In some situations, this error may cause the computer to function incorrectly.

It is important to note that I have the latest BIOS 1.2.2 that was released on 22nd of March 2017 and still have the issue. It happened again today.

Please, fix this issue!

2K Posts

July 4th, 2016 15:00

Hi MATTHEWAHANI,

Are there any bluescreens / system crashes? What is the current OS installed on the system? Are you playing the game via retail media or via steam? Does the system overheat? Were there any recent updates on the system - windows updates / driver updates?

Is the power button functional - do you feel a click when you press the power button? Once you press and hold it down for a while, the system should automatically turn off. Disconnect any external components you might have connected and try again.

Once the system boots into windows, test the game again. Check if the issue is seen with any other games as well.

Update the BIOS - http://dell.to/29fOv6g- restart the system and if required reinstall the video drivers from the vendor site - for Intel video card - http://intel.ly/1qEcrCW and for nvidia - http://bit.ly/28VZ5Ls%C2%A0

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

July 4th, 2016 19:00

Didnt see any blue screen or system crashes. Its windows 10. Playing via steam. didnt sense any overheating. There was a windows update a week back. Power button is definitely functional.

I waited for the battery to drain. Now im testing the game and seeing if it crashes again. Thank you for your reply

1 Message

September 17th, 2016 21:00

hi i have same problem here i got an update few days ago now i played gta v game frozen first but the sound ok like in the car radio than sound stopped than full hardware freez i can click power button but it wont shut it down im waiting my battery power to drain out

7 Posts

October 20th, 2016 07:00

Please dell put some effort into fixing this

4 Posts

May 3rd, 2017 09:00

Hi,

Sadly I haven't. Since I posted my response the laptop frozen one more time. So it is not that often but still quite annoying.

I can urge you to post in the forum so that Dell can see it is a mass issue and fix it.

Kind regards

1 Message

May 3rd, 2017 09:00

Im having the exact same issue. Only way to turn it off is by unplugging the battery cable. I'm still in doubt whether i'm sending it off to Dell to get it checked out. Will lose it for a week though. Can you please reveal me when/if you found a way to fix it.

13 Posts

May 6th, 2017 12:00

I can confirm that this did happen to me as well. I have the dell inspiron i7559 signature edition. It only happened to me once and I fear that it will happen again.

4 Posts

July 12th, 2017 02:00

This issue happened again!

First the keyboard freeze and when I try to Shut down the PC via Windows 10 options, it hangs after awhile. And then I cannot turn off the laptop via the power button. I had to unplug the battery from they MOTHERBOARD in order to make this PoS shutsdown.

This was with BIOS 1.2.2. Now I found out it has a new BIOS 1.2.3 so I updated to it. Lets see if it has fixed the issue.

4 Posts

August 2nd, 2017 03:00

And again! This time with BIOS 1.2.3 and the log error is the same "The embedded controller (EC) did not respond within the specified timeout period..."

Please, advice something as this is annoying as *** and personally I won't buy anything Dell anymore. But at least give me something to hold on to!

1 Message

September 5th, 2017 21:00

I have the same issue and it happened to me twice. BIOS and drivers had been updated completely since the first crash but it didn't work. My laptop is just ~1 year old and it killed 12% of my battery.

Although Dell hasn't fixed this, does anyone have an alternative to deal with this issue other than unplugging the battery cable? After the last crash, i think  a setting in "Power options" - closing the lid will shut down the computer - can help a little bit. Have anyone tried to do like that?

/*Sorry for bad english*/

No Events found!