Highlighted
2 Bronze

Dell Inspiron mini 1018 Boot Anomaly

Jump to solution

My mom's Dell mini has stumped me. It boots directly into Windows (Win Starter 7) only after standing a long time or sometimes after a high number of re starts.

It normally boots and pauses at the DELL logo with loading bar/indicator indefinitely.

F2 and F12 doesn't work for entering boot menu or to enter setup. Pressing any other key like space bar or the down arrow key will cause the bios settings to load.

Making any changes to the Bios, saving and exiting (F10) just results in the same DELL logo screen. I have tried changing SATA settings from AHCI to ATA and back.

Here is the kicker: If you enter the BIOS settings and exits without saving, Windows boots immediately without issues.

I checked the hard drive and there are no issues.

Please help......

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
2 Bronze

RE: Dell Inspiron mini 1018 Boot Anomaly

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply. I had to order a new keyboard as some keys were not working. Replacing the keyboard fix the non working keys and the boot issue. Boots 100% again.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hi Plexsol,

I would try running diagnostics on the system, you try to enter a one time boot menu by pressing F12 at the Dell screen and loading them from there. However if this doesn't work once the system boots to Windows (going into BIOS and out like you stated), you can visit this link and run Online Diags by entering your Service Tag from the system. The reason I suggest running the diags is it could be hardware (like the memory/drive) causing some issue/hault at the Dell screen. 

Let me know if the diagnostics show anything and also if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Brad

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply.

I ran diagnostics and found no errors at all.

Here is a stupid question: Would a faulty keyboard cause this? A few key are not working at all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Sorry on the delay and for missing this, I have sent you a Private Message.

Best regards,

Brad

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply. I had to order a new keyboard as some keys were not working. Replacing the keyboard fix the non working keys and the boot issue. Boots 100% again.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos