Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 7th, 2012 03:00

Dell Inspiron power light stays on

When I shutdown my Dell Inspiron 1545 the power lights stays on (white) - it used to turn off - any ideas why this might be?

4.4K Posts

July 7th, 2012 04:00

Hi jd70,

Welcome to the Community,

Try to release flea power.Remove any peripherals connected to the system.Disconnect the AC adapter,remove battery,press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.Reconnect only the battery and AC adapter,turn on system,after it loads to windows,shut down the system and check if the power light goes off.

If the issue persist remove the battery and turn on and shut down system only with AC adapter connected (without the battery). Confirm if the power light goes off,when you shut down the system,while using it only with the AC adapter.

Thank You

4 Posts

July 7th, 2012 05:00

Thanks

First suggestion seems to have fixed the problem

2 Posts

November 22nd, 2013 08:00

I have the same problem but none of these tips seemed to work.  I have also updated all drivers and BIOS on the system.  It is a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro on a Dell Inspiron N5050.

2 Posts

November 26th, 2013 07:00

Well, I have solved my own problem. 

For those who have this issue and the above suggestions didn't work...

I took the laptop apart and changed out the CMOS battery.  After putting it back together, everything worked perfectly.  The machine now shuts down completely.

4 Posts

December 21st, 2013 02:00

PS: I forgot to confirm that the power light does go off when only the AC adaptor is connected. It only stays on when the battery is inserted.

Thank you.

4 Posts

December 21st, 2013 02:00

Hello,

I have tried the two suggestions but the light is still on when I put the battery back in on both attempts. It used to go out before. Is there anything else I should try?

Thank you.

4 Posts

December 22nd, 2013 03:00

It seems to be working now as the light is off.

Thank you.

3 Posts

July 30th, 2015 11:00

What did you do that it seems to be working.  I saw no replies to any of your questions !

3 Posts

July 30th, 2015 11:00

I should add to my last reply that after your suggested solution and trying without a battery the power light DOES go off with only the AC adapter being used NO battery !

4 Posts

August 18th, 2015 15:00

I find updates revert it back so I try the suggestion above a couple of times and it seems to work.

I've also done this;

Under "Network adapters" right-click "RTL8111E Fast Ethernet controller", select Properties and go to the Power Management tab. Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

Go to Start menu → Control Panel

In Control Panel, go to "Hardware and Sound" → "Power Options"

Under Power Options click "Choose what the power buttons do"

Select the option that says "Shut down"

Also select "Choose what closing the lid does" and select "Shut down"

No Events found!