Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 16th, 2016 18:00

Dell Inspiron15 3000 Series (3558) - Does anyone know how to ramp performance?

What is the best way to get the most performance out of my laptop without spending a lot of money and voiding the warranty?

Does it make a difference to have most of my files on a external hard drive vs. my internal drive?  

I would also like to know how to find out which drivers I currently have installed vs. the ones I do not.

Thanks for you time and effort.   I just want to maximize my computers capabilities.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 17th, 2016 04:00

The external drive is limited not by the USB 3.0 interface, but internally - no spinning hard drive can come anywhere near USB 2.0 speeds, let alone USB 3.0.  Add in the driver overhead and an external drive will be slower than ANY internal drive, all else equal.

If you want the fastest you can get, replace the internal drive with a solid state drive and use the hard drive externally for data storage - NOT for running programs.

2 Posts

August 16th, 2016 19:00

Thanks,  I just want it to have all the optimal settings and drivers for it to run smoothly.  I plan on not putting much on the internal hard drive bc my external hard drive is faster I believe with the usb 3.0.  I did know if I could maximize the processor output to perform at its top capability. That's all.. I don't expect it to be like an Alienware haha.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 16th, 2016 19:00

It depends on what you're looking for.  This is a  low end system that will never be a performance system.

If it has a conventional hard drive or hybrid hard drive, replace it with a solid state drive.  There's just about no other way to upgrade this system performance-wise.

No Events found!