Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 14th, 2014 00:00

Dell InspironN4050 , No Sound From Audio Jack...

hi, i am using Dell Inspiron N4050 , i am having problem with my audio jack. their is no sound coming from my audio jack  in windows , i tried every solution available on Google but None of them work..
first i thought that it's an hardware issue, but now i think it's software/driver related issue, because jack is absolutely working fine in ubuntu without causing me any problem... i am also using the latest IDT drivers available for my hardware. my Audio device is IDT High Definition audio Codec .. Hope SomeOne tell me Working Solution, ...  :emotion-6: :emotion-6:
i am Using Widnows7 32Bit all Drivers are UpToDate....
(Sorry For My Bad English)

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 16th, 2014 06:00

I looked into this on some Linux discussion boards. This appears to be a problem for a lot of people with dual boot systems and I do not think it is limited to just IDT audio. They say that Ubuntu (or whatever version) does something that Windows cannot undo. The most common suggestion is to shut down the laptop, disconnect from AC power, remove the battery, then reconnect power and restart.

See this thread at askubuntu.com.

i don't think now days such Type of hardware are made whose are only Compatible with only OS..  

I agree. The hardware is obviously compatible with either OS, but appears incompatible when using both together. My guess is that either Windows or Linux could fix the incompatibility, but will they?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 17th, 2014 06:00

hmmm But most Pc/Systems whose are affected by This hardware realted issue are using IDT Audio Device...

The person who started the thread I linked you to has an Asus laptop with Realtek audio.

so everytime when i LogOut from Ubuntu i need to do that "REmove Battery "Trick,

Does the trick work? I think a better workaround would be to use a usb audio jack.

i don't think it could be fix in Linux(Due to OpenSource) so i think  DELL should report This Issue To Microsoft , i think Microsoft Will try To Fix It.

If you want to report this problem to Dell, you can contact tech support. If that does not work, you can send a private message to any of the Dell employees who sometimes post on this forum (they have the word Dell in their screen name), and request that they pass on the information to tech support. To send  a private message click on the name, which is a link to their personal page, then click on the link to send a message.

To report it to Microsoft, go to this page and look for "Send us feedback" on the right side.

May 14th, 2014 03:00

Hi FurqanHanif,

Thank you very much for reaching out to us.
Please follow the below mentioned trouble shooting steps:

1.Try refreshing the Audio drivers; Open device manager under Audio, right click on IDT High Definition audio then click on uninstall.

2.Click on Action at the menu, Click on Scan for hardware changes

3.Try connecting Audio device and check whether it’s working.

If still not working please uninstall audio drivers and reinstall.

Click here to download audio drivers: http://dell.to/1jf8eQB ,Scroll down the page under Available formats click Download

Please let me know if this helped.

Thanks,
Raghav
Social Media and Community Professional
Order Status: http://dell.to/1fgKSTr
Download Drivers: http://dell.to/1hcxG98

18 Posts

May 14th, 2014 05:00

Oky , So i Uninstalled my Audio Drivers Completely and then i restarted my System, after that i again Installed the Audio driver which i downloaded from your Given Link and restarted my PC , Audio Jack again Started To work but after 3,4 Restarts again the Same Problem..... :emotion-6: So Now What?? :emotion-6:

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 14th, 2014 06:00

Audio Jack again Started To work but after 3,4 Restarts again the Same Problem

Install the native windows audio driver. If you have the same issue when using that driver then the fault is not the IDT driver. It is probably intermittent failure of the impedance sensor of the headphone jack -- failing to detect when headphones are plugged in. It's a Windows thing. Non-Windows OS's do not use it so when it fails the symptoms only appear when in Windows.

To install the native audio driver:

1. In Device Manager, right click on the IDT driver to open the context menu.

2. Click "uninstall".

3. Check the box "Delete the driver software for this device". Don't skip this step.

4. Restart the laptop. Go back to the Device Manager and check the Sound...Controllers. If the IDT driver is still there, repeat the procedure until it no longer appears. When all versions of it have been removed from your hard drive, Windows will replace it with its native Windows driver named "High Definition Audio Device".

18 Posts

May 14th, 2014 12:00

When i Restart my Pc 3,4 Times Audio Jack Stop Working and again Some restarts it starting to Work Again, when it Work, if i in/out Headphone Jack more Than 1000 times it works fine, but when Jack Won't Work if in/out headphone Jack More than 1000 times it won't work. So Why that sensor won't stop WHen my audio jack is working fine, means if audio jack works when windows start Sensor won't fail, No atter how many times i In/out Jack but when sensor fails , it stays Fails?? Why is That , i Don't Get It... :emotion-6: :emotion-7:
And my Internal Microphone won't work when i switched to native windows drivers... Now,How i Solve This.... ?? :emotion-9:

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 14th, 2014 13:00

When i Restart my Pc 3,4 Times Audio Jack Stop Working and again Some restarts it starting to Work Again,

It could be intermittent failure. I don't have an explanation, but if you have the same issue with the native driver then the fault is not with the IDT driver. If the fault is not the IDT driver and you don't have the problem in Linux, then all of that strongly suggests that the sensor is failing.

And my Internal Microphone won't work when i switched to native windows drivers... Now,How i Solve This.... ?? 

The point of using the native driver is to help diagnose the issue. After you are finished testing with it re-install your IDT audio driver.

18 Posts

May 14th, 2014 22:00

Audio Jack is Still Not Working after installing Native Windows Driver... :emotion-6:
and another thing i want to tell that i Noticed when i reinstall the drivers audio jack started to work again perfectly but when i Booted in Ubuntu(My Pc Is Dual boot Windows7 and Ubuntu) and after that again Boot in windows now Jack is bot working... now i again re-install drivers and jack started to work again??? why is  that??? :emotion-7: Looks Like IDT release it's Hardware And Software Without Testing It... :emotion-12: :emotion-39:
And 2nd is their any way to disable that sensor or whatever it is , like Ubuntu ... ?? :emotion-40:

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 15th, 2014 08:00

Jack is bot working... now i again re-install drivers and jack started to work again??? why is  that??

I cannot explain it. I said it is "probably" hardware failure because the symptoms "suggest" that, but maybe it isn't. Sensor failure creates software failure so it is all mixed up and really tough to diagnose, and frankly sometimes requires guesswork.

Look, I assume that the jack worked okay when the laptop was new, and this is a recent problem that has developed? In that case perform a system recovery and test the jack immediately afterward, before allowing Windows updates (security updates are okay) or installing programs. The recovery will fix all software issues and make the jack work like it did when the laptop was shipped from the factory, and the only reason it would not work would be due to hardware failure.

The only other way to prove or disprove hardware failure is to replace the jack with a known working one.

The only other reason I can think of for the jack to not work is if it is configured to be the "communication" headphones. With that configuration regular audio would continue to go to the speakers and only "communication" audio would go to the jack. When the jack does not work, is sound to the speakers cut off? Or does audio still go to the speakers?

Looks Like IDT release it's Hardware And Software Without Testing It...

If it were due to the IDT audio driver, then the problem would go away when you use the native driver. Also all other laptops with your IDT driver would have the same issue.

Concerning the hardware, as far I know IDT only supplies the audio chip, not the jacks.

And 2nd is their any way to disable that sensor or whatever it is , like Ubuntu ... ??

There could be a hack that somebody has come up with, but I don't know of any. A workaround would be to get a cheap little usb audio jack.

The only fix I can suggest right now is to perform a system recovery, and if that does not fix it then it is because of hardware failure.

18 Posts

May 15th, 2014 11:00

okyY , when jack is not Working( i Plugin my HeadPhone No Sound Coming from Headphone neither from Speaker) , When Jack is Working( i Plugin Headphone No Sound Coming From Speakers But Sound is Coming From HeadPhone)..
i GooGle My Problem and i Found that alot of people who have IDT chipset has Smilar Issue... :emotion-6: So i Think IDT chipset is The Problem... :emotion-40:

i Tried System Recovery , jack Started to work again, i restarted my PC more than 5,6 Times, works Fine, now i booted into my Other OS (Which is Ubuntu) , now i again Restarted My Pc  and Booted into Windows Now the Same jack again Not working.. i re-installed the Audio Drivers and Restarted , jack again started to work again but again Every Time When i restarted My Pc From Ubuntu or Other LINUX based OS i face the Same Problem/Issue... Windows TroubleShooter also Not Finding Any Problem..
i  Run the Dell Diagnostic Tool too and it also has not Detected Any Problem... :emotion-7: 

18 Posts

May 16th, 2014 05:00

i Think it would be Great if You also Test that Too, if you have an Inspiron series Laptop which have IDT Chipset then Please also Check this Issue on That Laptop, because i think a lot of laptops have been affected by this bug, my friend who bought  N4050 Recently also have the similar issue(Jack works Fine, after restarting from Ubuntu Jack won't work)... Maybe it's a Firmware problem, IDT should also Check this issue, maybe this issue related with IDT chipset not with Audio Jack.. :emotion-40:
Dell also should take some action on this or at-least they should check the other laptop which have an IDT Chipset ..... :emotion-7:
So it'll be nice if you Check that issue too Sir...  ... 
i don't think now days such Type of hardware are made whose are only Compatible with one OS..  :emotion-40:

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 16th, 2014 05:00

i Tried System Recovery , jack Started to work again, i restarted my PC more than 5,6 Times, works Fine

Your initial tests suggest that a system recovery fixes the problem. I would do the recovery again  and test the headphone jack for a longer period of time -- maybe a couple of weeks. If no symptoms show up then it looks like the hardware and software are both working properly.

Then if you boot into Ubuntu again and subsequently the jack again fails to work in Windows, it would seem that the jack is compatible with either Linux OS or Windows, but not with both. In that case, if you have to continue to use both OS's on your laptop, you might have to get a usb audio jack if you want to continue to use the headphone jack with Windows.

i GooGle My Problem and i Found that alot of people who have IDT chipset has Smilar Issue..

If a lot of people find their headphone jack does not work in Windows right after using Linux, then it looks like a systemic bug. Maybe someone on a Linux discussion board would have some idea of how using Linux could affect Windows like that. I have no idea.

18 Posts

May 16th, 2014 10:00

hmmm But most Pc/Systems whose are affected by This hardware realted issue are using IDT Audio Device... Because I never had face such problem , many of my friends have Other Brand Notebook whose Audio Hardware is Not IDT and they are working Fine... :emotion-40:

so everytime when i LogOut from Ubuntu i need to do that "REmove Battery "Trick,... :emotion-6:

i don't think it could be fix in Linux(Due to OpenSource) so i think  DELL should report This Issue To Microsoft , i think Microsoft Will try To Fix It... :emotion-40: 

18 Posts

May 17th, 2014 06:00

Many of other people also reported this Issue to Microsoft but Looks like they are not interested in it or maybe they want people to use Only one OS , WINDOWS.. :emotion-40: i Reported this To Dell.... i hope Dell take an Action on this... :emotion-42: 

hmmm usb Audio Jack Looks Ok too me, i 'll Purchase one tomorrow ... 

And Thanks for your Precious and important Time , Apologies for Wasting your Time.... .............
Again Many Thanks.... :emotion-21: :emotion-21: :emotion-21:

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 17th, 2014 07:00

I enjoyed this conversation with you. It introduced me to a new topic of which I was unaware. At least the next time this comes up I will know this issue exists.

No Events found!