Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 24th, 2015 17:00

Dell L502x Crashing/Freezing on every game and buzzing sound 3/24/2015

I have had this laptop for like 4 years and for 2 years it has crashed on every game I try running it doesn't matter. It has the 540m graphics card and yes I already switched the games I try playing so that the 540m is the default video card. I have 4gb ram and 1366x768 resolution. I tried using the underclocking method which works but you get reduced frame rate noticeably. I can play the games for 10 seconds to a minute then the game freezes and a buzzing sound is made. The computer basically locks up, and there is a chance that you can ctrl+alt+delete back to the desktop if it isn't completely frozen. I was playing sleeping dogs and this happened after about 10 seconds of gameplay and I got back to the desktop after the lockup/freeze which looked like this

this is currently the latest driver for this card. I also tried using the 344.75 driver which was supposedly the solution to the crashing/freezing but it still crashed after a minute of sleeping dogs gameplay on lowest settings (except the low resolution buffer) and 800x600 windowed resolution. Since that is the only resolution that has high enough frame rate to be playable (while graphics card is underclocked) if it isn't underclocked I get the freeze/crash after 10 seconds to a minute of game play. Is there another solution other than underclocking which kills my already low frame rate of 15-25 fps (800x600), I know that if I could play without underclocking my frame rate would be higher. Maybe I would even be able to play full screen 1360x768 but currently with the underclocking method my frame rate is around 14 which is unplayable making me have to resort to the 800x600 windowed resolution which really is too small.

3 Posts

3 Posts

when the game crashes and you go back to the desktop it has this error at the bottom right Display Driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 347.88 stopped responding and has successfully recovered. A few times I have gotten a blue screen of death or just a frozen computer with no other way out than to press the power button to shut off and restart.

No Events found!