Highlighted
AquaeAtrae
1 Copper

Re: Dell L702x RAM Slots issue !!!

Thank you for looking into these, Terry. I've already been working with Dell Escalations (Ref #833014046) and my EPP Sales rep to resolve this. And just wanted to share this update posted at notebookreview.com. It's been a challenging few weeks but I'm confident we'll get this cleared up.

I just got off the phone with an US EPP Sales rep who I've worked extensively with. He has on several occasions gone beyond the requirements of his position to help me resolve the discrepancies with these brand new components. He's as frustrated as we are with the conflicting information and wants to contact the actual manufacturer of the motherboard to get us a straight answer. Barring that, he's offered to personally go up to their demo room and put his hands on the actual machine before I place my order.

The official technical specs Dell has for the motherboard he looked at (an XPS 17 FHD non-3D, 555m w/3gb video memory, i7-2720) make the following claims...

• 2 DIMM slots
  • Each slot can hold up to 4GB per memory module
  • Total maximum memory possible is 16gb

Obviously this (2x4=16) doesn't add up! Hence the confusion. He's aware of it and I honestly think he's working to get us some clarification. He will call me back tomorrow morning/afternoon so I can process my order. I will, of course, pass along whatever details he and/or Dell Escalations are able to dig up.

Having spent much of the last few weeks working with the disparate departments within Dell, I have to say the EPP Sales (US) has consistently proven to be very professional, albeit misadvised by Dell's tech department and manufacturers. For those of you who are eligible (gov/edu/corp/health employees), I would strongly urge you to place orders with them (Dell Member Purchase & Employee Discount Program (EPP) | Dell). They also have discounts even beyond Dell Home's coupons, which are impressive.

Mind you, they are super busy these last few days (5 to 10min hold times which is really long for them) and even they are fallible. So, again be patient and courteous. Remember, the reps we contact are really "on our side". They're doing their best while often having their hands tied in complicated ways. Give them an honest chance and I'm confident they will make things right.

0 Kudos
Spudzz
1 Nickel

Just an update on my situation.

I have returned my unit to Dell for full refund,will wait a bit to see how things sort themselves out in the near future.

Let me just add,  that this is my sixth laptop from Dell,and up tell now had only minor problems with them,

and the problems I did have were all sorted very professional by Dell technical customer care staff.

0 Kudos

I am sorry that there was so much confusion regarding the memory issue with the XPS notebooks.  As a recap the memory supported (and the amount of dimms accordingly) are as listed below.

If you have purchased a non 3D system regardless of the GPU it will only support up to 8 gygs of memory (2 dimms).  

If you have purchased a 3D system with the Nvidia GT550M with only one gyg video memory the system will not support more than 8 gygs of memory (two dimms). 

Only if you have purchased a 3D system with the Nvidia GT 555M graphics and 3 gygs video memory will the system support more than 8 gygs of ram (4 dimms).

Hopefully this will clear things up for future purchases.  Spudzz and AquaeAtrae, I again apologize for the confusion and the frustration that you two have had making these purchases

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
catsclaw227
1 Nickel

Terry --

Maybe you can answer this question about the difference between the GT 555M 1GB and the 3GB versions.

On the NVidia website, it shows two different versions of the GT 555M, one with SDDR3 and one with GDDR5:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gt-555m-us.html

There is a significant difference between the Processor Clock and the Memory Clock of these two versions of the 555M, according to nVidia, so are these two versions the 1Gb adn the 3GB versions?  Which GPU engine is the 3GB card using?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

The RAM type is the same for both - DDR, not GDDR.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xpsL702X/en/SG/sg_en.pdf

if you look at the discussion below, you'll see there's no speed difference between the two - one has more pixel shaders than the other, but that's it.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/545708-gt-550m-no-faster-than-gt-445m.html

0 Kudos
catsclaw227
1 Nickel

The RAM type is the same for both - DDR, not GDDR.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xpsL702X/en/SG/sg_en.pdf

if you look at the discussion below, you'll see there's no speed difference between the two - one has more pixel shaders than the other, but that's it.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/545708-gt-550m-no-faster-than-gt-445m.html

According to nVidia's website, the 555M (even the DDR version) has more memory bandwidth and more CUDA cores than the 550M.  Here's their comparison:

550M 555M SDDR3 555M GDDR5
CUDA Cores 96 144 96
Processor Clock (MHz) 1480 MHz 1180 MHz 1506 MHz
Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec) 11.8
Up to 14.2
Up to 14.2
Memory Clock (MHz) 900
900 MHz 1569 MHz
Standard Memory Config DDR3
DDR3 GDDR5
Memory Interface Width 128-bit 192-bit 128-bit
Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec) 28.8 43.2 50.2
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Those would be maximum numbers - not necessarily the way the chip is implemented on this system.

0 Kudos
catsclaw227
1 Nickel

Those would be maximum numbers - not necessarily the way the chip is implemented on this system.

I don't understand, why would Dell (or anyone) purposefully throttle the chipset?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Because with a notebook, it's always necessary to balance performance with power/heat requirements - and in most cases, the latter takes precedence.

0 Kudos
catsclaw227
1 Nickel

Sure, I understand this and expected that this was the primary reason, but with the GT 555M chipsets, aren't they designed (via Optimius tech) to be lower power consumption and cooler in the first place? 

I was under the impression that the GT set aren't as fast or run as hot as the GTX series of notebook GPUs, specifically so they can balance the power/hear requirements that some notebooks have.  And the XPS 17 (L702x) is designed specifically for this range of GPUs, so why throttle them?

Maybe it is as much a marketing/cost dance as it is a real hardware issue, but I would think that it would be less advantageous to spend the time throttling back the GPU than just taking it as it is and building your system around it's capabilities.

I suppose we'll never know.

If Terry pops back in here, maybe he can answer the question about whether the 555m is actually throttled back in the L702x.

(NOTE:  I see I am getting way off topic, maybe I should take this to another thread)

0 Kudos