Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 26th, 2011 11:00

Dell L702x RAM Slots issue !!!

Have just spotted this post at Notebook Review regarding the Dell L702x RAM Slots issue.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/564824-new-update-4dimms-l1702x.html

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

March 31st, 2011 16:00

Spudzz

Thanks for the heads up on the thread.  From my information the XPS L702X system ram will be configured accordingly.

The Dell XPS L702X has 2 DIMM sockets and 4 DIMM sockets.

• Systems shipped with only 1GB Video RAM will have 2 DIMM sockets.
  • Systems shipped with 3GB video RAM (Nvidia GT 450M) will only have 2 DIMM as it has a non 3D video solution.
  • Systems shipped with 3D 3GB Video RAM have 4 DIMM sockets.

It is dependent on the video solution that you chose with the system as to what system board will ship and if it will have two or four DIMM slots.

TB

37 Posts

April 4th, 2011 06:00

Thanks Terry,

But can you just tell me why Dell have blocked "for want of a bitter word" the other two DIM slots in this model.

I have a Nvidia GT555M card with 3GB RAM with the 2720 QM processor in my Dell XPS L702 and found  two of the four  slots have been blocked,if I had known this before I purchased I would not have purchased this unit,and I will be sending it back  to Dell in the next few days.

Chris.

I

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 4th, 2011 09:00

Spudzz

I can only assume that the four dimm boards aren't being shipped with all models to keep the costs down on the systems.  I certainly understand your concern and am sorry for the inconvenience.

TB

7 Posts

April 4th, 2011 18:00

The l702x Repair Manual only states “Your computer may have two or four user-accessible SODIMM connectors depending on the configuration of your computer.“

Speaking with Dell Escalations just now, he has confirmed that there are currently (as we’ve discovered) 2 motherboard models that ship with the non-3D XPS 17 laptops. He was unable to narrow this down to the 7-digit Sales “Item Numbers” we see in quotes/orders and only had the 5-digit part numbers. However, he did note that the motherboard which with 4 DIMM slots had the 3GB of video memory. Those with 2 DIMM slots had the 1GB listed.

Part Number

8DW4W    4 DIMM    3GB video memory

C2C0R    2 DIMM    1GB video memory

I’ve asked him to research how we can be assured we are ordering a laptop with the 4 DIMM motherboard. I’ve also asked him to confirm that the 4 DIMM motherboard also supports Optimus. He will discuss this with their tech team and get back to me within 48 hours. He also thanked me several times for bringing this and the Optimus issue to their attention.

Based on this, it would seem that choosing the GT 555m w/3GB graphics option should ensure you receive 4 DIMM slots for future memory upgrades. Alternatively, if you choose the GT 540m w/1GB graphics, you will be limited to 2 DIMM slots.

Yet, some here have received systems where this wasn’t the case. If so, could you please lookup the 5-digit part numbers using your service tag (on bottom) and Dell’s Support site and let us know what specific motherboard, graphics option, and display you received (as I've done here)? It would give a lot of us some peace of mind if we could clarify this.

37 Posts

April 5th, 2011 06:00

Based on this, it would seem that choosing the GT 555m w/3GB graphics option should ensure you receive 4 DIMM slots for future memory upgrades.

That is what I ordered,and received,but with only two 2DIMM slots.

What is the next step to get this sorted ????

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 5th, 2011 08:00

From my original post

The Dell XPS L702X has 2 DIMM sockets and 4 DIMM sockets.

• Systems shipped with only 1GB Video RAM will have 2 DIMM sockets.
  • Systems shipped with 3GB video RAM (Nvidia GT 450M) will only have 2 DIMM as it has a non 3D video solution.
  • Systems shipped with 3D 3GB Video RAM have 4 DIMM sockets.

The only system and I repeat the only system that should be shipping out with the 4 DIMM sockets is the 3D version.   Ordering the system with GT 555M with 3gb video ram without 3D will only ship with 2 DIMM slots.

If either of you purchased the 3D version with the GT 555m card and didn't get 4 DIMM sockets shoot me a private message with the service tag, express service code, your shipping and contact info and email addy and I will take a look.  If you got the wrong system board set up a service.

TB

37 Posts

April 5th, 2011 11:00

Hi Terry,

Thank you for your reply.

I understand what you are saying,but when I made inquires last Febuary about this issue"not an issue at the time"  I was informed by one of your technical staff

that if  I went with the 3GB (Nvidia GT 555m Graphics card and the -i72720QM processor) I would be receiving the unit with 4 DIMM sockets,no mension of the 3D screen was menioned .

That is why I am so annoyed about this issue.

7 Posts

April 5th, 2011 11:00

It sounds like Terry would be best to help you with your particular order.Just be sure to clarify that you do not have the 3D display and try to be sure you are getting the motherboard (p/n 8DW4W) with 4 DIMMs. My concern is with ordering the correct replacement, again without a 3D display.

However, if you could also send / post your service tag so that I and others are able to confirm the part number of your motherboard, it may help a lot of other people avoid this problem. You don't need to share any personal information. The service tag simply allows others to look up the part numbers of your machine.

I've also discussed this with others at the NotebookReview forum. It seems there there have been a lot of misleading responses from Dell regarding this and the Sandy Bridge features (Optimus, etc). Although a lot of people included myself are frustrated, I would remind us all that this is brand new technology and many of the Dell reps often do not yet have the updated technical specs. We should do our best to be patient, clear, and courteous as we all do our best to sort out these technical details.

Isn't it fun being an "early adopter"? ::sarcasm::  But seriously, I do a lot of tech purchasing professionally for schools and these are great systems and good prices. Despite all this confusion, I'd still recommend them.

7 Posts

April 5th, 2011 12:00

Hi Terry,

Thank you for your reply.

I understand what you are saying,but when I made inquires last Febuary about this issue"not an issue at the time"  I was informed by one of your technical staff

that if  I went with the 3GB (Nvidia GT 555m Graphics card and the -i72720QM processor) I would be receiving the unit with 4 DIMM sockets,no mension of the 3D screen was menioned .

That is why I am so annoyed about this issue.

Dell Escalations (US) also told me the same thing referencing his parts catalog.

Thanks again for letting me look up your Service Tag. Unfortunately, it seems yours (in Ireland) does not list specific part numbers. So I wasn't able to look up the motherboard p/n.

Quantity Parts # Part Description
1 N02X7M06
1 XPS L702X : 2ND GENERATION INTEL CORE I7
1 DISPLAY : 17.3IN HD+ WLED TRUE-LIFE (160
1 LCD BACK COVER : SILVER ANODIZED ALUMIN
1 SHIP ACCESSORY : ENGLISH DOCS
1 RESOURCE DVD : XPS L702X
1 MEMORY : 4GB (2X2GB) 1333MHZ DDR3 DUAL C
1 HARD DRIVE : 500GB SERIAL ATA (7200RPM)
1 OPTICAL DRIVE : 8X DVD+/-RW DRIVE INCLUD
1 POWER CORD : UK 250V
1 POWER SUPPLY : XPS 150W AC ADAPTER
1 BATTERY : PRIMARY 9-CELL 90W/HR LI-ION
1 CARRY CASE : NOT INCLUDED
1 GRAPHICS : 3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 555M G
1 TV TUNER : INTERNAL DVB-T TVTUNER
1 MODULE..., CARD (CIRCUIT)..., NETWORK..., 6230, CNB, WORLD WIDE...
1 MOBILE BROADBAND : NOT INCLUDED
1 KEYBOARD : INTERNAL BACKLIT UK/IRISH QWE
1 OPERATING SYSTEM : ENGLISH GENUINE WINDO
1 OS MEDIA : NOT INCLUDED
1 SOFTWARE : MICROSOFT OFFICE STARTER: RED
1 SOFTWARE : WINDOWS LIVE
1 SOFTWARE : DELL STAGE SOFTWARE
1 SOFTWARE : DELL SUPPORT CENTER 3.0
1 SOFTWARE : DATASAFE LOCAL 2.3 BASIC
1 ANTIVIRUS : MCAFEE SECURITYCENTER 15 MON
1 STANDARD SERVICE ? 1 YEAR OF COLLECT & R
1 INFO 1YR IN-HOME WARRANTY SUPPORT, INCLU
1 4YR IN-HOME WARRANTY SUPPORT, INCLUDING
1 NO ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE PROTECTION
1 DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP 2GB - 1 YEAR LICE
1 SOFTWARE: DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP 2GB - 1
1 XPS L702X ORDER - IRELAND
1 XPS- SYSTEM ONLY

If your willing, you could try using a free utility called HWiNFO (download) which found my motherboard part number and detected the 4 DIMM slots. See this post here to see my results.

I look forward to getting this clarified. I know a ton of people who are salivating over these laptops but hesitant to make their orders until we get this cleared up.

Thanks again!

7 Posts

April 5th, 2011 17:00

Thank you for looking into these, Terry. I've already been working with Dell Escalations (Ref #833014046) and my EPP Sales rep to resolve this. And just wanted to share this update posted at notebookreview.com. It's been a challenging few weeks but I'm confident we'll get this cleared up.

I just got off the phone with an US EPP Sales rep who I've worked extensively with. He has on several occasions gone beyond the requirements of his position to help me resolve the discrepancies with these brand new components. He's as frustrated as we are with the conflicting information and wants to contact the actual manufacturer of the motherboard to get us a straight answer. Barring that, he's offered to personally go up to their demo room and put his hands on the actual machine before I place my order.

The official technical specs Dell has for the motherboard he looked at (an XPS 17 FHD non-3D, 555m w/3gb video memory, i7-2720) make the following claims...

• 2 DIMM slots
  • Each slot can hold up to 4GB per memory module
  • Total maximum memory possible is 16gb

Obviously this (2x4=16) doesn't add up! Hence the confusion. He's aware of it and I honestly think he's working to get us some clarification. He will call me back tomorrow morning/afternoon so I can process my order. I will, of course, pass along whatever details he and/or Dell Escalations are able to dig up.

Having spent much of the last few weeks working with the disparate departments within Dell, I have to say the EPP Sales (US) has consistently proven to be very professional, albeit misadvised by Dell's tech department and manufacturers. For those of you who are eligible (gov/edu/corp/health employees), I would strongly urge you to place orders with them (Dell Member Purchase & Employee Discount Program (EPP) | Dell). They also have discounts even beyond Dell Home's coupons, which are impressive.

Mind you, they are super busy these last few days (5 to 10min hold times which is really long for them) and even they are fallible. So, again be patient and courteous. Remember, the reps we contact are really "on our side". They're doing their best while often having their hands tied in complicated ways. Give them an honest chance and I'm confident they will make things right.

37 Posts

April 7th, 2011 03:00

Just an update on my situation.

I have returned my unit to Dell for full refund,will wait a bit to see how things sort themselves out in the near future.

Let me just add,  that this is my sixth laptop from Dell,and up tell now had only minor problems with them,

and the problems I did have were all sorted very professional by Dell technical customer care staff.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 18th, 2011 09:00

I am sorry that there was so much confusion regarding the memory issue with the XPS notebooks.  As a recap the memory supported (and the amount of dimms accordingly) are as listed below.

If you have purchased a non 3D system regardless of the GPU it will only support up to 8 gygs of memory (2 dimms).  

If you have purchased a 3D system with the Nvidia GT550M with only one gyg video memory the system will not support more than 8 gygs of memory (two dimms). 

Only if you have purchased a 3D system with the Nvidia GT 555M graphics and 3 gygs video memory will the system support more than 8 gygs of ram (4 dimms).

Hopefully this will clear things up for future purchases.  Spudzz and AquaeAtrae, I again apologize for the confusion and the frustration that you two have had making these purchases

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 29th, 2011 12:00

The RAM type is the same for both - DDR, not GDDR.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xpsL702X/en/SG/sg_en.pdf

if you look at the discussion below, you'll see there's no speed difference between the two - one has more pixel shaders than the other, but that's it.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/545708-gt-550m-no-faster-than-gt-445m.html

April 29th, 2011 12:00

Terry --

Maybe you can answer this question about the difference between the GT 555M 1GB and the 3GB versions.

On the NVidia website, it shows two different versions of the GT 555M, one with SDDR3 and one with GDDR5:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gt-555m-us.html

There is a significant difference between the Processor Clock and the Memory Clock of these two versions of the 555M, according to nVidia, so are these two versions the 1Gb adn the 3GB versions?  Which GPU engine is the 3GB card using?

April 29th, 2011 13:00

The RAM type is the same for both - DDR, not GDDR.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xpsL702X/en/SG/sg_en.pdf

if you look at the discussion below, you'll see there's no speed difference between the two - one has more pixel shaders than the other, but that's it.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/545708-gt-550m-no-faster-than-gt-445m.html

According to nVidia's website, the 555M (even the DDR version) has more memory bandwidth and more CUDA cores than the 550M.  Here's their comparison:

550M 555M SDDR3 555M GDDR5
CUDA Cores 96 144 96
Processor Clock (MHz) 1480 MHz 1180 MHz 1506 MHz
Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec) 11.8
Up to 14.2
Up to 14.2
Memory Clock (MHz) 900
900 MHz 1569 MHz
Standard Memory Config DDR3
DDR3 GDDR5
Memory Interface Width 128-bit 192-bit 128-bit
Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec) 28.8 43.2 50.2