Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 26th, 2011 11:00

Dell L702x RAM Slots issue !!!

Have just spotted this post at Notebook Review regarding the Dell L702x RAM Slots issue.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/564824-new-update-4dimms-l1702x.html

37 Posts

August 6th, 2011 13:00

99,I appreciate all you say,  but you will still have to make a decision on what you need to do next.All the best.

off now for a few pints of Guinness

I agree. Actually I did some online research, and found (among others) this thread. I do not want 16GB now, I want the possibility to add them in the future. I also would expect this from the XPS line :)

So, when I got propery informed (NOT by Sale nor Tech support), I chosed not to buy dell at all :-/

4 Posts

Spudzz, I did do research - the "only 4 slots IF you get the 3D AND you get the 3GB 555 GPU AND you hold your mouth right" thing only turned up after purchase. There seems to be a ton of misinformation out there regarding these laptops, INCLUDING AT DELL ITSELF. By the way, in investigating this it turns out there have also been buyers that have gotten the "magic" combination and STILL got only 2 slots, and I have located more than one person that was lucky enough to purchase something similar to mine that got 4 slots...it looks like it's a turkey shoot.

Keep in mind that Dell's own support people told me that I had 4 slots, even though I didn't...how much online research can you do in order to avoid something like that...?

November 3rd, 2011 06:00

Dell need to sack the engineer who decided to disable 2 of the DIMM slots on these motherboards. We've just been caught out by purchasing a non-3D 8gig L702x and were assured by the Dell rep that we could install an extra 2 x 4gig RAM. We double and triple checked with the rep that 4 DIMM slots would be available on the motherboard and purchased the extra RAM along with the order.

This is ridiculous, my husband needs the 16 gig for developing and testing ESXI servers within VMWare, and therefore being a business machine we do NOT want 3D as it's a complete waste of $500 or so bucks. There is no engineering reason why they need to disable the 2 DIMM slots.

And, it appears Dell reps have been screwing this issue up for multiple users since at least as early as March this year. There is obviously a demand for 16gig without the 3D. Time to give the customer what they want IMO....

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 3rd, 2011 07:00

It was more likely an accountant who decided to do this - not an engineer.

November 6th, 2011 19:00

This is crazy, our Dell representative has offered us 2 x 8Gig RAM modules. I questioned this as all the information appears to suggest the DIMM slots only support up to 4gig RAM, with a total of 16Gig supported by the motherboard. The response I got from the Dell rep is:

"Acording to our technical support said that it is able to read up to 32GB ram

So for 2 x 8GB shouldn’t be any issue"

It would be fantastic if he is right, but I don't have high hopes and I am cringing over this whole issue.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 7th, 2011 04:00

Well Crucial Does not say this works.

Memory Type: DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 PC3-12800, DDR3 (non-ECC)

Maximum Memory: 8GB

Slots: 2

Each memory slot can hold DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 PC3-12800 with a maximum of 4GB per slot.*

*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

Recommended Upgrade

part image

November 7th, 2011 22:00

well, Dell sent a technician today to deliver 2 x 8gig modules and test. Installed and tested and it actually works.........so far. BIOS detects the full 16gig, windows sees the whole 16gig and windows memory test reported all was fine.

So I dunno what's going on, the dell information is totally screwed.

Let's hope after using it over the next few days/weeks it doesn't fall over.

1 Message

November 11th, 2011 17:00

Hi, You must be a computer wizard, I am looking for a computer that will work well for my trading purpose,I have this hp that freeze up most of the time, I am looking for something that can allow me to have many windows open at the same time.   Anybody out there, please, I need some help:emotion-2::emotion-2:

4 Posts

November 11th, 2011 17:00

I wish Dell would provide me with 2x8gig as well.

I specifically purchased the machine to upgrade.

November 14th, 2011 07:00

FYI-

Non-3D 1080p screen is Matte.

3D 1080p screen is Glossy

November 14th, 2011 07:00

Hi All,

I have been a devoted Dell customer for over 15 years. I just reveived my L702X and am debating on returning it. Although it appears i have 4 memory slots, I do not. In my opinion this is a BS move by Dell. Would it really have cost much to include 4 slots on all L702X laptops. I mean this thing is huge already and my laptop has room for the extra chips but they are disabled. Another gripe is the GDDR3 memory on the Nvidia card. Apple can cram a 6770 with GDDR5 in a smaller lighter 17" laptop AND it beats the GT555M that is in the L702X. My point being that this laptop should have a better video card judging from the size and wieght. I mean this thing is huge already and there is room on my system for the extra slots, they are just disabled.

The 4 memory slots should not be limited to the 3D system which does not include Nvida Optimus. Without Optimus you get no battery life!!

Those users who have a L702X with 16GB installed. Please run Windows Experience Index and post your Memory speed socre.

My soon to be returned system....

i7-2720QM

8GB

Nvidia GT555M 3GB w optimus

Dual 500GB HDDS (1 Seagate, 1 WD) not matching for some reason.....

Intel Wireless N 1030

17.3in FHD WLED AG 1920x1080

Blu-Ray

9 - cell (REQUIRED for CPU / GPU config) I wanted a 6 Cell!

November 14th, 2011 19:00

i7-2720QM

8GB

Nvidia GT555M 3GB w optimus

12 Posts

November 26th, 2011 12:00

Memory:

Why then, when I log on to Crucial.com and run their memory tool I am offered an upgrade to 16 GB ?  It shows two empty slots, and suggests that Dell should not have installed a 2GB chip along side a  4GB chip. When I purchased this Dell XPS L702X, I opted out out of the 3D and only got 1GB Video with the Nvidia GT 555M. I asked about upgrading Memory on the phone at the time of purchase and was talked out of it, then when I called to order more memory chips they informed me they didn't have any.    If I cant upgrade to 16 GB of of Memory, I too will deal with Dell on a full refund or replacement better machine. I certainly dread it after what I've been through already with Dell CS and Support.  Below is what Crucial shows for my system.

DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 PC3-12800 Memory Type: DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 PC3-12800, DDR3 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 16GB
Currently Installed Memory: 6GB
Total Memory Slots: 4
Available Memory Slots:  2

12 Posts

November 26th, 2011 12:00

Am I detecting here that I was purposely deceived or mislead when ordering this machine?  That the two indicated empty slots are useless? This whole thing is a little suspect.

No Events found!