Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 3rd, 2011 22:00

Dell Laptop 1555

Hello,

I basically wanted to write and see if anyone else has had this problem.  The reason that I am trying to see if anyone else has had this problem is because I truly believe that this laptop may need to be recalled.  

I bought the Dell laptop 1555 around 1 and a half years ago.  Almost immediately I began having problems with it.  You name the problem, I had the problem.  The computer was freezing, it was over-heating, I was getting error messages saying that my AC adapter was not communicating with my computer properly and it had to be fixed or it would affect the performance.   

To make a long story short, I was in contact with Dell each time.  Over the course of a few months, I was sent new memory to install myself, I spent several hours troubleshooting with their agents on many occasions, and eventually a technician had to come to my house.  Over this 3-6 months period of time, I had the memory replaced twice, a new motherboard installed, and a new hard drive. 

After a few months had past after all the replacement parts were put in, I started having problems again.  I contacted Dell and they told me my computer was a hazard and to mail it in and they would mail me out a new computer.  I told Dell that I did not want this same laptop; I wanted a new one because I felt something was severely wrong with the hardware on this particular computer.  They told me to give the 1555 one more chance and mailed me a new one.

Within months of months of me having the brand new 1555, I started having issues again.  They sent out a technician out to my house to yet again replace the AC adapter, the hard drive, and memory.  After that things were okay for a while.. 

Well -- being that I have been through a literal hell with Dell, I just about had it.  They refuse to believe something is wrong with this particular model.. So I call, and even though my product is not under warranty anymore, I basically go the highest person up.  I explain the hell I have been through with them.  So they call me back, run a scan on my computer.  They find that the hard drive has crashed (again for the third time).  They send a technician out to my house for a THIRD time and he replaces the hard drive.  Well - the technician at Dell called me to see how my laptop was working.  There was only one problem, IT WASNT.  We sat on the phone for multiple hours troubleshooting before he decided to send another technician out to my house again to replace the motherboard, hard drive, and memory -- again!

Now let me explain something.  I have been with Dell for 15 years.   I have owned 7 computers from their company and I have always thought Dell was the best in the business.  I have never had one issue with any of my Dell computers, until this one.  I am in school for information technology/web design and I am an avid computer user.  I do not get viruses, I do not do risky browsing and I  make sure my computers stay in the top of the line condition.  

I have no idea why this is happening but I do know its their hardware.  I have never had operating system issues, only hardware issues.  Please state if you are going through this problem.  We need to let Dell know as consumers we will not accept this type of boot leg product that doesn't even work!

147 Posts

April 4th, 2011 01:00

I agree with you100% and have had many problems with the 1555 model.  I also have 6 other Dell laptops and the 1555 is NOT a quality product!  

Friday, September 24, 2010

Dear Sirs:

I have been a Dell customer and used Dell computers for about 25 years.  I have a Dell desktop and 2 Dell laptop PCs plus an older Dell Latitude C540.  One of the laptops is an Inspiron 1525 that I have had absolutely no problems with.  The upgrade from VISTA to WIN 7 was quick and no trouble at all.  I use this laptop daily and have for several years.  The newest Dell is a Studio 1555 laptop that has had a lot of problems and in fact if I could trade it for another Inspiron I would do so gladly.  These are the problems that I have/had with the 1555:

1.    Defective keyboard which I replaced.

2.    The display screen has become permanently marked in the middle of the screen by coming into contact with the keyboard when in the closed position because the rubber bumpers/stoppers that are mounted into each side of the plastic bezel have fallen off and/or deteriorated where they do not hold the screen off the keyboard.  This problem was called into Dell while the 1555 was still in warranty.  The plastic display screen seems to me to be flimsy and flexes too easily.

3.    The plastic left side hinge has cracked and the plastic cap has come loose where I have had to use electrical tape to “bandage” hold it together.

4.    The AC power adapter cable has broken at the blue LED that indicates that power is being supplied via the AC adapter.  Again I had to use electrical tape to “bandage” this problem, Dell is in the process of shipping a new AC adapter however the Dell supported hardware forum has several posts where folks have this same problem.  Reference this site:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19276957.aspx

The problems with this Studio 1555 are NOT the quality that I have been accustomed to with Dell over the years BUT I can assure you that I will look long and hard before selecting another Dell product.  

147 Posts

May 15th, 2011 05:00

Kudos to Dell as they gave me a call to send in the laptop which I did and they fixed/replaced everything and they were very fast!  The laptop looks brand new again!!!!

Thanks Dell.

1 Message

November 3rd, 2011 19:00

I too have had some problems with the Dell Studio1555. I always get a message saying that the power source is unknown and may damage my computer. The only power source I use is the Dell power source that came with it.

The latest problem that may be something I did is that I can not get the display bezel to snap on. I had to replace the screen because it became damaged. After disassembling according to the instructions all was going well until I tried to get the plastic bezel to snap back on. The instructions say to start at the corners and just snap it on. Well it just won't go on. I'll get part of it snapped on and another side pops off. I took the screen out again thinking maybe I didn't get it screwed in right but all is correct. I'm afraid I'm going to damage the new screen by trying to snap on this bezel over and over again.

Any suggestions?

5 Posts

December 14th, 2011 18:00

My 1555, about 1.5 years old was working fine and now I'm having all kinds of issues with the wireless connection.  I've spent 3 full days deleting drivers/hardware and rediscovering and installing drivers - still won't connect to sites it sees including open WiFi as well as my personal secure home site.  Other laptops work fine - just the Studio 1555.  Seems strange that the Bluetooth 370 minicard - added about 1 year ago, has never worked & Dell site does not show any driver for it.  My OS is Win7 x64.

Looks like my last purchase from Dell after MANY years and lots of products.

No Events found!