Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 10th, 2012 20:00

Dell Laptop w/ Windows 8 won't boot past dell logo screen

Inspiron 15R SE 7520

When I attempt to start my laptop it goes to the Dell logo screen and will not boot Windows 8. Any suggestions?

I've had the computer less than a month and if I have to restore the system completely it will not cause much of a problem.

Thanks for the help in advance!

2.6K Posts

December 10th, 2012 20:00

Hello Univers789,

Re-installing windows is the last resort. So before doing that, you can try the steps mentioned below which might fix the issue.

1. Restart the laptop and start tapping the F2 key at the Dell logo for enter the BIOS.
2. Navigate to the “Advanced” menu.
3. Change the SATA operation/selection in BIOS from Intel Smart Response to AHCI.
4. Press F10 to save changes and exit.
5. Reboot the system.
6. Go back into the BIOS by tapping the F2 key and change the SATA operation/selection in BIOS from AHCI to Intel Smart Response.
7. Save changes and exit by pressing the F10 key.
8. Reboot the system and it should boot normally into Windows.

In case the above steps don’t fix the issue, run the Pre-Boot System Assessment (PSA / ePSA) Diagnostics. Run the test and check if gives any error code. Note down the error code and update me with the same, would let you know the next course of action.

Please write back with results. 

2 Posts

December 10th, 2012 21:00

Your steps worked. Thank you for the help. Could this have been caused by something I did? If so please let me know what I need to change to avoid this. Thanks!

2.6K Posts

December 10th, 2012 23:00

Hi,

Glad to know that the issue was fixed. 

This issue is only seen on systems configured  with the SSD cache drive and Hard Drive used for IRST. If you restart the system after it is forcibly turned off, windows 8 tries to use the fast start-up method. When this occurs, the system determines that the previous restart attempt was unsuccessful, and then tries to restart by using the full start-up method. However, this full start-up attempt fails because of an access violation that is caused by memory corruption. 

Resolution to this issue is the steps mentioned in my previous post, which has perhaps fixed the problem that you have been facing. 

2.6K Posts

December 13th, 2012 00:00

Hi ,  

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please write back. Other community members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

9 Posts

February 7th, 2013 15:00

I am also having this issue with my 2 month old Dell Inspirion 17r  .I went in and changed it the first time. When I went back in to change it back, it's wasn't changed and a "WARNING" came up and said if I change it, it could prevent a reboot and might need a re-install. So I cancelled.

1 Message

February 8th, 2013 05:00

This is a surprising feature of Windows 8, where everywhere else it's going to great extent to make things easy and be user-friendly, why in the world do they do this?  I can imagine many people buy a new pc, bring it home and then get frustrated because it won't turn on.

And what is that "Safe boot" feature for?  To protect us from gremlins who might swap our hard drives while we are sleeping?

They should at least display a message to the lay user letting them know what is going on.

1 Message

April 2nd, 2013 07:00

Hi Dell-Allan D,

Your solutions do NOT work. My wife purchased a Dell Laptop from Costco and I spent a few hours going through your support and nothing worked. It was a solution on this board that resolved the issue. I inserted my Windows 7 CD and repaired the operating system using it. Once done, I was able to get passed the logon screen and use my computer again without having to reformat my hard drive. I would greatly appreciate it if you could add this step to your troubleshooting guide as it appears as though you have serious issues with your computers and Windows 8.

2.6K Posts

April 4th, 2013 02:00

Hello Compuser1,

Thank you for your input. I would definitely update the same in our repository.  

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 1st, 2013 16:00

Kai.nl,

Please continue with Dell-Allan D

Just a suggestion, can you get in the system using these instructions?

Windows 8 shutdown to bring up troubleshooting mode

Rick

1 Message

June 1st, 2013 16:00

Hello Alan D,

I've run into the same issue with my wife's Dell Inspiron 18z. Before I read this thread, I found another thread on Google (this one: http://www.itworld.com/answers/topic/operating-systems/question/windows-8-won-t-boot-what-can-i-do ) which I tried. But using Shift + F8 brought me straight to the ePSA Pre-boot System Assessment. I have let the system run its own diagnosis and it did not find any errors. I tried your instructions with the SATA operation and unfortunately it did not fix the problem either.

By the way, did you mean something specific by 'reboot' or is the normal restart after F10 sufficient?

The problem with the PC in detail: the issue came up after I switched off the PC when the system completely froze in the middle of some web surfing. Everything (mouse, keyboard and system buttons) stopped working and the PC was stuck in the same screen where it stopped. I switched it off using the power button and i've never seen the Windows environment ever since. If I attempt to start the PC now, it goes on to a blue screen (after the black Dell logo screen) where it says there's a problem and the system will collect data and reboot. Then it reboots and gets stuck on the black Dell logo screen.

Could you please help me out? At this moment I have started another ePSA Pre-boot System Assessment and i've passed the point where it says there were no errors. This time, I continued with the thorough test mode as recommended in the pop up screen after the initial test.

Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks.

1 Message

October 12th, 2013 09:00

My Inspiron L840 doesn't have the this option under Advanced menu???

2 Posts

October 21st, 2013 09:00

Ive just turned the computer off and on and then pressed f2. I went into the BIOS advanced and changed the SATA to its original setting exit and saved. Now it goes back to the sign in page but im sure if I try to sign in all it would do is go to a black screen.

2 Posts

October 21st, 2013 09:00

I have followed the intructions but the thing is my SATA operation was already AHCI. So I just chose the other one and saved and exit. I pressed f2 to come back to BIOS system but now it wont do amything and requests to system restore to a previous point. So sure I di that and all it does is sit at the Dell screen. Im not sure if I want to press cancel when it asks me to system restore. Please help my parents are going to murder me lol..

February 12th, 2014 22:00

I'm having this problem with same dell laptop. When I g Operation selection is ATA and AHCI and the one the computer was on already was the AHCI. 

Pls let me know whether I need to do this whole process at all or whether ATA means the same as Intel Smart Response.

Thanks.

2 Posts

February 13th, 2014 04:00

i have dell 3521 windows 8...then i done recovery....after that dell logo is not seen in starting process but windows logo is seen....l

To understand me plz see this images

This first boot screen the things in Red box i see it before recover laptop, I want remove this thing like before

===============================================================================

In this red box is Windows 8 boot logo after recover I want see Dell logo like before

plz ans it.... 

No Events found!