Highlighted
Not applicable

Dell Latitude 6430u - Fan Speed

Hi,

I´m using Dell Latitude 6430u for few days. I have upgraded from Win7 to Win8. Everything works fine, but the CPU fan seems to be very noisy already at low ultrabook load. I have upgraded BIOS to the latest version (http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/Product/latitude-6430u-ultrabook ), but this problem problem is still present.

Have you some advice, how to reduce fan speed?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
86 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Dell Latitude 6430u - Fan Speed

Hi peza,

Fans become loud or have abnormal sounds due to:

• An out of date BIOS.
  • Obstructions in the fan or vent area.
  • Physical Damage.
  • Dust accumulation in the fan or vent area.
  • Using near a heat source or in a hot environment.

Clean Air vents:

1. Check the vents on the computer to see if they are covered with dust and not allowing heat and air to pass through.
  2. Turn off the System
  3. Remove all power sources: Unplug the AC Adapter and Remove the Battery, or Unplug the Desktop Power Cord.
  4. Use a compressed air can to blow the dust out of the vents. Be sure to hold the can at an upright (near 90 degree angle) and hold it 15-20 centimeters (6-8 inches) away from the target.

Hardware Diagnostics Check:

I recommend running diagnostics on the computer (power off the computer, restart the computer by holding the “FN” and Power button on the computer).

Let me know the status.

Awaiting your response!

Thanks & Regards
Rajesh R
#iworkfordell
To know  more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US ; UK; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
If a post answers your question, please click "
Yes".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi Dell-Rajesh R,

- BIOS have been updated to the last version A04 (www.dell.com/.../latitude-6430u-ultrabook)

- no obstructions

- no physical damage

- no dust accumulation (I'm using laptop only for tree or four days)

- no using near a heat source

I have checked the hardware diagnostics, all components (including fan) work properly. Fan speed was between 4000 and 5000 rpm due the diagnostic.

I would like to point out that laptop is completely silent directly after boot, but after few minutes (during web browsing, CPU usage cca 10 %) fan begins constantly working and will almost never slow down. I tried to change power schema to Quiet mode (in windows battery settings), but with no effect.

I wish the fan speed would be increased proportionally with the performance.

Thank you for advice!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi peza,

Check the status of fans in Safe mode with networking.

Refer the following link which has steps to boot into safe mode with networking:

http://bit.ly/yFE1MQ

Also, check by creating a new user account and see if the issue persists:

For more Information refer Microsoft article on User accounts:

http://bit.ly/RRLZ0N

Awaiting your response!

Thanks & Regards
Rajesh R
#iworkfordell
To know  more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US ; UK; India. For Dell support videos click Here.
If a post answers your question, please click "
Yes".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I do have the same problem, the fan is either on running almost full speed and very noise or it's off. Looking at the CPU temperature with a tool like Speedfan it shows mostly more than 50degree even when CPU is not used.  

Is there any optimized bios planned?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Exactly! Here is Open Hardware Monitor print screen: tinypic.com/view.php

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Same problem here. I received the laptop yesterday and the noise is comparable to the one in my Latitude E6410 which is unacceptable. I am only running a browser with two tabs and the sound is loud enough that you can hear it across the room. It should not be dust since it is a new laptop.

Any advice on how to solve this issue would be highly appreciated. I love the design of the system and I would rather not return it but if the noise is at this level when the system is new, I can only imagine that I will get much worse as time passes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Same issue here as well. Running Windows 8. As a test, I booted into WinPE and did a capture. The fans ramp up loudly there too. This is a definite BIOS bug. It is repeatable on multiple 6430u machines. This is in addition to the keyboard and touchpad not waking from sleep issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Really hope someone on the BIOS team is reading this and/or aware of the issue.  I too have the problem that the fan turns on after about 2 minutes of very light use.  The fan makes a high pitch whine which is really, really annoying.  I'm not doing anything other than reading email and have tried all of the tricks, latest BIOS, nothing blocking vents, set power settings to reduce CPU load, etc.  CPU temp is hovering around 50C, but the fan is running anyway.

This is getting really frustrating, and I'm not going to be able to recommend this laptop to co-workers unless we can get a BIOS patch with updated thermal set points and fan speeds.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

I was initially having this issue as I am using the d5000 dock. Dell released a WiGig update a couple hours after I posted here and the fan issue is gone. I have additionally installed the latest DisplayLink package and the Intel HD Graphics 4000 15.31 package. I no longer have this issue with the fans being loud.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hmmm - updated the graphics driver and 1601 driver but no change.  Will have to look at display link.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Now running latest 1601, Display link, wireless hub, and intel graphic driver and there's no change to CPU temps or fan speed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

The only difference I note between my machine and what others describe is that I did a clean install of Windows 8 and no upgrade and I am not using the factory image. I re-installed from scratch when the new WiGig package was released. The fans are still coming on during a load but are much quieter than before and never get loud even when watching HD content using the d5000 dock.

**Just wanted to update this to make note of any differences I am aware of that may assist others working on this issue**

I also did not install the Intel Chipset package for the USB controllers. They are still at the Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller. The Intel USB 3.0 drivers installed automatically as they are in the default Windows 8 build image. My Storage Controllers are also installed as the Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller, which is the new default from Microsoft with Windows 8, and the Intel Mobile Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller. Additionally, I am using UEFI.

When I did a clean install, I purposefully installed NO additional drivers with the exception of the audio packages for Intel Display Audio and IDT High Definition Audio CODEC as well as the packages mentioned previously for DisplayLink and WiGiG. The Intel Display 15.31 package was not installed until a couple days ago when the display began to get a bit wonky, which was immediately fixed with the new version. Numerous drivers did install on their own with Windows Update. I purposefully only used Windows Update for the driver installations.

I also note that I have altered some of the Power Options but am unsure if this made any difference. USB selective suspend is disabled; wireless adapter settings for power saving mode are at low power saving; and PCI Express Link State Power Mangement is Off. Doubt those are making any difference but I did want to note them here.

I would suggest taking a peek at your list in Device Manager for the things I list above to see if you note any differences? I am curious to know if I install a package or uninstall something if the fan issue returns. When the fans do come on, again they are much quieter then before, the heat is definitely emanating from the 1601 card and not the processor or graphics.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I've done some characterization of the fan behavior.  It looks like there is hysteresis of around 8C.  Once core (or GPU?) temp is above ~58C for ~30 seconds the fan kicks in.  Then it stays on until the temp drops below ~50C for ~30 seconds.  Problem is that this doesn't really happen - the temp is staying between 50 and 60C under normal conditions.   Also given the temp behavior I'd like to see a "quiet fan" option where it isn't running at 4000RPM.   Note there are other trip points where the fan is even faster, but I can only get that running something like prime95.

As far as drivers go I don't know - the WiFi driver is up to date.  I haven't seen any correlation between radio on/disabled and temp, but I can experiment.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Update - I've learned two things:

1) My laptop had a bad fan which was generating more noise than what was expected.  We have another 6430U and while the fan is running it isn't as loud.  We suspect a bad bearing in the loud laptop, and have ordered a replacement fan.  It is trivial to replace the fan.

2) Our image didn't have the Dell Feature Enhancement Pack.  Once I installed that a new category appears in Power options which allows me to assign the fan profile to "quiet".  This changes the set points so the fan is much more reasonable.  On the downside it does reduce the performance slightly, but not a huge deal.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

I do not have the Dell Feature Enhancement Pack installed as I prefer the Windows 8 default onscreen notifications so that is not allowing my fan to be quiet. Awesome that a part replacement can possibly solve the issue!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I just received this laptop at work and I am also experience the constant loud fan issue.  It is rather annoying to hear a loud fan in a quiet office when there is nothing happening on my laptop except outlook.

I checked the BIOS and couldn't find any settings.  I also got speedfan working, but as soon as I modified the fan speed, something else hijacks the fan and puts it loud again.

This thing is brand new, so I'm not sure what the deal is.  Hopefully there is a fix in the works!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

A prior poster stated there are fan options in the Dell Feature Enhancement Pack. Do you have that installed? If not, you can find it here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Thanks, daova2 - I do have this installed.  I played with the various fan options and noticed the fan goes quiet when I switch the setting, but then it ramps right up again regardless of setting (even on quiet mode).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Do you have the latest Dell Wireless dock software or are you using the wireless dock?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

You probably already noted this, but just in case...  the Dell Enhanced Settings in the Power Options > Advanced Settings are specific to On battery and Plugged In.  I have "on battery" set to "quiet" and "plugged in" to standard.  I also noticed the setting didn't "take", and then realized I was plugged in.  As soon as I removed external power the fan turned off.  Note that in quiet mode the fan still turns on, but isn't as aggressive.  

I also replaced the fan and the replacement was a different manufacturer.  Previously I had a loud fan that sounded like something from a dentist (high pitch whine).  The new fan is much more quiet, and I hear air moving, but not the whine of the fan bearings.  I'm wondering if there was a change made in manufacturer/lot of fans.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I am not using the wireless dock - just have USB devices and a monitor plugged in.

I did switch both the "on battery" and "plugged in" settings and didn't hear too much of a difference; the fan still runs at a constant 4500 RPM at idle.  I do just hear the airflow moving which is alone enough to annoy me.  As someone who builds commuters, I strive to have my components as quiet as possible especially when they are idling.

I have been monitoring temps and have noticed this thing runs relatively hot. Between 50 and 60 degrees Celsius on idle and jumping up to 75 - 80 on medium load.  I think this thing just might not be designed the best.  I have a Macbook Pro at home that is a powerhouse but I can only hear the fan kick in on a heavy load.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Did you try loading the latest Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver version 15.31?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I did update the Intel HD Graphics to the latest 15.31 version - it seemed to help.  The fan hovers right around 4300 RPM now instead of 4500 RPM on the quiet mode.  Though once the fan turns on, it never seems to turn off.  I also updated the DisplayLink driver to the latest version.

Its interesting, before the temps climb above 55 degrees Celsius, the fan is turned off completely.  It would make sense to at least have it running at an inaudible 2000 RPM or so.  It's like the fan has an on or an off position.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

If you are not using the wireless dock, then you do not need any of the DisplayLink software/drivers. I would remove those. Are you running Windows 7 or 8? Did you install your own image or are you using the factory/OEM image from Dell?

Open Device Manager and let me know what it lists below Universal Serial Bus controllers. Does it show 'Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller' or something different below the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I actually use two USB devices that go from USB to DVI for an extra monitor - these also use the DisplayLink software.

I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise edition that our IT folks loaded on.  I'm guessing it is a stock setup with modifications here and there.  I didn't find 'Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller', just the USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller and USB 3.0 Root hub, and a few other USB hub mentions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Please try installing this Chipset driver to see if you get a difference. Barring that, bring it up to the IT department. They should be able to replace the fan for you to see if that makes a difference.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Thanks daov2a, however that link appears to be broken.  Mind pasting the URL? I'll then give it a shot.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Fixed the prior post.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

No luck - I updated with the chipset driver you suggested and the fan still runs as it has been.

Another coworker is experiencing the same symptoms.  Again, it appears that the fan is functioning normally, it's just that it is constantly on after the laptop heats up above 55 Celsius or so and emits a constant airflow noise.

I've been reading other threads and it looks like it affects a variety of dell laptops - the thermal controls are set to have the fan on at a higher speed most of the time.  It is a BIOS setting that can't be easily modified.

So for the time being, I think I'm SOL unless Dell decides to release a BIOS update.  I appreciate all the troubleshooting help from the thread though.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Well, that stinks. If you have access to DOSD, I would get it replaced anyway. You can try running Resource Monitor to determine if a particular software or something is pushing the heat up like that? I agree though. Besides the fan bug plaguing some, the sleep bug needs to be fixed ASAP. It will take a BIOS update for both and I'm not sure what is taking so long. Pretty simple for Dell to fix these two things especially since the Latitude 6430u is a flagship product they are pushing to the Enterprise.

My guess is that since the A02 driver/software was taken down that very soon, there will be an update to both.

For anyone out there trying to get a hold of the A02 Dell wireless dock software, take a peek at my setup guide here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Can't agree more.  This is a horriblly noisy fan, I just received my new work PC on Tuesday. To those who #iworkfordell, it would be very useful to release a patch to fix this

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Anyone have an idea as to the best way to get attention from Dell regarding this?  This seems to be a popular device around the office here, I imagine others will be facing the same issue.

And to clarify a previous post, the fan runs loudly even when the machine is idle (i.e. less than 2-3% load), so there shouldn't be anything causing extra work/heat.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have multiple 6430u's.  

1 running Windows 8 Pro, self install, with a Core i7, and the 1540 wifi card, running A04 BIOS

1 running Windows 7 Pro, self install, with a Core i5, and the 1601 WiGig card, running A04 BIOS.

My Core i7, fan runs a lot, not continuous  But probably 35-45 minutes per hour..  It's not loud per say, but just annoying that it's on so much.   Here are my stats from Open Hardware monitor

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb180/pparks1/OpenHardwareMonitor_zps581badcb.png

The Core i5, is showing strange behavior with CPU-z.  The multiplier and clock speed is changing radically even when under no load.  If I change to the power savings setting within Windows 7, it will stay at 800Mhz.   But under the balanced setting, it's jumping all over from 800Mhz to 2600Mhz and it's jumping from 8x, to 15x ,to 26x, to 8x, to 12x, in 2-3 seconds.  And this is with nothing running and task manager showing CPU load under 2%.    The fan on the Core i5 seems to run 24x7.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Interesting. I wonder if you put Windows 7 on the i5 version if the CPU behavior changes (or Windows 7 on the i7).

As I have stated since receiving my dock and 6430u, Windows 7 does not run as well on it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi all,

We've bought 3 of these 6430u here and have he same problems. One of them run an embedded ubuntu, one with Arch Linux and the last one with windows 7.

The fan becomes noisy if you just open a browser and watch a video on youtube for example. Our BIOS is up-to-date and the ubuntu one had its motherboard changed but it didn't fixed the problem.

The one with windows 7 is the less noisy

We all have an i7 processor, 16GB of memory and SSD disks. We are starting to think that it's just a conception problem 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DellEMC

I thank all of you for posting here, I know that I have spoke to some of you via private messaging and wanted to let all of you know that Dell engineering is aware of your concerns and are currently investigating them.  I don't have a lot of info other than that but hope to learn more shortly.  I will post here as soon as I learn more.

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

The noise, for me, came back when I updated to v15.31 of the Intel HD Graphics 4000 package and when I was briefly using Win7. Pulling it back to the v15.28 package made the noise go away. My fan will get noisy when I run Firefox or Chrome for an extended period of time whether I am watching videos online or not. This laptop is definitely aimed at and calibrated for Win8 and IE. If I stick to IE (or the modern IE as I'm using Win8), the noise does not occur.

I would, if possible, recommend installing a different version of the Intel package but there is only one Linux package on Intel's site here.

I hope that Dell is working on a BIOS update that also includes a fix for the keyboard/trackpad not waking the laptop from sleep bug. Realistically, I believe this will require some input and assistance from Intel. With Haswell already coming to many devices, this laptop may be left behind unfortunately.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I've just received my 6430u and also having this issue, it's horrible. After 1-2minutes of start up fan starts. I've been working 3-4hours, the fan was almost all the time on. After headache started I've switched to my old laptop, silence is priceless.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

After OS has just started I have 65ºC, if I try to do something I've seen 89ºC, in my case I think the laptop is not well assembly because this temperatures are nonsense (my other laptop, sony vaio, has 45ºC, same room similar cpu)

Update: according to dell support those temperatures are normal, so basically this laptop is the worst I've ever had.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DellEMC

For those of you that are noticing abnormal amounts of fan noise on your latitude E630u and would like to try a service to replace the fan please message me with the service tag of your system.  Just click on the link in my signature and click start conversation.  If we have already been discussing this via private message just shoot me a reply.

You can also just post here that you would like to try a service and I will shoot you a friend request. I will likely reply to your messages Monday and start setting up some services and go from there.

Have a great weekend

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi Terry,

i would definitely try a service for my fan noise. i am based in France

regards

oren

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I've already try to use service support. They changed the full board and the heat sink, something has improved but anyway the fan is still running nonstop after 1h or so if you use it normally (my older laptops were completly silent in comparision with "this").

Basically this is a laptop bad designed imho, you can't say is broken but I cannot be in a library working with this (or at least without being hated by everybody).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I agree with you, blaxter - it must be a design issue considering this pervasive amount of issues.  One thing I have noticed that could be improved upon: the fan is off before it kicks on to loud mode - this surprises me.  I would at least have the fan constantly running at an inaudible level to dissipate some heat instead of having it more at an all or nothing setting.

If  BIOS update is released to do this, it may improve things, but unsure of how much.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Hello:

I, too, have the same issue with this laptop.  The noise from the fan is very annoying considering this is a premium laptop.  My 6 year old Lenovo is more quiet.  I could hear the fan noise from 20 feet away so I can only imagine how this translate into a library setting.  We need a fan update from Dell to activate it much less frequent.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

For folks just getting their systems and have the loud noise, check to make sure that "Dell Enhanced Settings" appears in Power options.  Under that "Thermal Mode" which then allows you to assign the fan profile to "quiet".   This doesn't actually make the fan always quiet, but it certainly makes it a lot more quiet.  

If that option doesn't appear, download the Dell Feature Enhancement Pack.

Also, my original fan was VERY loud - the bearings were horrible.  After replacing it the noise went from a high pitch scream down to a muffled sound of air moving.  Still there, but 95% of the time it is lower than ambient noise.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Thanks

I did what you recommeded and the power plan is now set to Quiet (reduced fan levels).  The noisy fan turned off when I switched to this mode.  I did have to download the package.  I hope this will remedy the fan issue. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I bought mine with ubuntu as operative system, so I don't have any dell utility. Anyway this should be controlled at bios level, or at least that way worked all my previous laptops/desktops.

The only way to avoid noise of this laptop I've found so far is headphones all day long.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi, I just bought 2 of these laptops in the best possible config and I am also very displeased by the fan noise...even when setting "thermal profile" to quiet the fan still spins at 4300RPM most of the time which is simply way too much IN SILENT ENVIRONMENT.

I really hope that Dell will include a profile that would change the fan behavior. I think that most people would be much more satisfied if the fan ran about 3000RPM constantly rather then jumping from 0 to 4300 erratically...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi, we also bought 2 of these laptops together with the wireless docking. Design is very nice and also the wireless docking is working well. But the noise.......

I was in a meeting and people only talked about the noise this thing is producing, instead of the design.

i already logged a ticket at DELL support and they are really willing to help. they already replaced the fan and the motherboard. but nothings helps.

I told them about this active thread and that the problem seems to be a general one instead of single one.

Hopefully they find the solution very soon, because this is unacceptable for a laptop of this price. Or at least let them confirm that it is a problem and they work on the solution.

0 Kudos