Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2013 12:00

Dell Latitude 6430u - Fan Speed

Hi,

I´m using Dell Latitude 6430u for few days. I have upgraded from Win7 to Win8. Everything works fine, but the CPU fan seems to be very noisy already at low ultrabook load. I have upgraded BIOS to the latest version (http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/Product/latitude-6430u-ultrabook ), but this problem problem is still present.

Have you some advice, how to reduce fan speed?

Thank you!

3 Posts

June 25th, 2013 16:00

Thanks Eosphotog !

I did what you recommeded and the power plan is now set to Quiet (reduced fan levels).  The noisy fan turned off when I switched to this mode.  I did have to download the package.  I hope this will remedy the fan issue. 

10 Posts

June 26th, 2013 02:00

I bought mine with ubuntu as operative system, so I don't have any dell utility. Anyway this should be controlled at bios level, or at least that way worked all my previous laptops/desktops.

The only way to avoid noise of this laptop I've found so far is headphones all day long.

2 Posts

June 28th, 2013 03:00

Hi, I just bought 2 of these laptops in the best possible config and I am also very displeased by the fan noise...even when setting "thermal profile" to quiet the fan still spins at 4300RPM most of the time which is simply way too much IN SILENT ENVIRONMENT.

I really hope that Dell will include a profile that would change the fan behavior. I think that most people would be much more satisfied if the fan ran about 3000RPM constantly rather then jumping from 0 to 4300 erratically...

50 Posts

July 1st, 2013 09:00

I noticed this fan noise specifically for Windows 7. With Windows 8, I have had no noise from the fan. Same for Windows 8.1. Obviously not a solution for everyone but that has been my experience so far.

6 Posts

July 1st, 2013 09:00

Hi, we also bought 2 of these laptops together with the wireless docking. Design is very nice and also the wireless docking is working well. But the noise.......

I was in a meeting and people only talked about the noise this thing is producing, instead of the design.

i already logged a ticket at DELL support and they are really willing to help. they already replaced the fan and the motherboard. but nothings helps.

I told them about this active thread and that the problem seems to be a general one instead of single one.

Hopefully they find the solution very soon, because this is unacceptable for a laptop of this price. Or at least let them confirm that it is a problem and they work on the solution.

July 3rd, 2013 05:00

i have windows 8 and  i have the fan noise. The only way to work with the laptop near me is to set up this thermal option described earlier.

Even with that, the laptop still make some noise, time to time when i am soliciting it a bit.

50 Posts

July 3rd, 2013 07:00

I only notice noise from my fan if I began something graphically intense. This graphic intenseness includes the use of any browser other than IE. If I use only IE, then the fan noise does not occur but if I load up Adobe Premiere or Handbrake or Firefox or Chrome or Opera and start some work, then the fan does begin to work. During normal work, it is quiet and calm; not sure what I'm doing different other than that.

10 Posts

July 8th, 2013 03:00

Same issue here. It really feels like the fan is either on or off, and there's nothing in between. I did install the Dell Feature Pack, but wondering what the impact is of setting the Thermal Mode to Quiet. I hope Dell does release a bios update which adds some more sane fan values for various temperature levels.

This is on a 6430u which I bought a few weeks ago.

4 Posts

July 8th, 2013 08:00

We, here, are mostly linux users and have the same problem. We are in touch with dell and they told us that they're working on a new BIOS version witch could resolve this issue.

50 Posts

July 8th, 2013 08:00

As much as a BIOS update would be great, I am not certain that will fix this as it seems more like a driver issue or fan control issue in the driver as it has never happened for me when accessing the BIOS. When it did happen, it only occurred during the running of the OS (Windows). Curious if any Linux users have seen anything different?

1 Message

July 8th, 2013 15:00

Just got my 6430u last week. Great device, but the noise is truly awfull. It's good to hear Dell is trying to work out this problem. @T0v0: Did they give some kind of eta? I'm running Fedora 19 btw.

4 Posts

July 9th, 2013 06:00

Sorry but no eta given. At this time, a dell technician had changed my fan by another. He put an additioanl amount of thermal grease . It seems that the heat conduction has been improved so the fan blows fewer than before. But the noise level is still high even if the fan is blowing low.

10 Posts

July 13th, 2013 02:00

Anyone got any news from Dell yet?

6 Posts

July 13th, 2013 03:00

Yesterday I received a call from DELL. A new BIOS version is being build and expected end of July.

Finally after they replaced 3 times a motherboard and complete broke my machine.

10 Posts

July 19th, 2013 02:00

Bios A05 was released, but no mention of any possible thermal management fixes:

Fixes

-Not Applicable

Enhancements

- Enhanced POST logo functionality.

- Enhanced Secure boot functionality.

- Enhanced HDD password functionality.

- Improved system password functionality.

- Improved DDPA functionality.

- Improved USB functionality at Pre-boot environment.

- Supported DIMM isolation.

- Updated Intel Management Engine firmware to 8.1.30.1350.

No Events found!