Eosphotog
Bronze

Re: Dell Latitude 6430u - Fan Speed

It really sounds like there are two separate issues here:

1) There is some variations in the fans used for this computer.  This may impact noise (bearings, etc.), and cooling capacity.  Replacing the fan does make some systems less noisy either by reducing the amount of on-time required or addressing a mechanical issue, though does not eliminate the need for active cooling. 

Take away: Your fan may be defective, resulting in poor cooling and/or excessive mechanical noise.

2) The set points for active cooling are causing the fans to turn on early, or be on longer than needed, or run faster than needed.  There is some dependency on the OS being run (and its ability to communicate to the fan/BIOS).  Installing the Dell Feature Enhancement Pack gives more control for Windows users for instance and gives an option for an alternative cooling profile which shifts the set points.  Linux users and Windows 8 users report different experiences here as well.   Related to this is the observation that the fan is "all on or off".  This actually isn't the case, and running a stress test like Prime95 can demonstrate this.  However it does appear that the first level is 4000-4500 RPM or so and there should be room to run the fan at a much lower rate to still move some air through the system to provide cooling under light loads.

Take away: Users may need to install and/or adjust system profiles to provide more "quiet" cooling

Take away: Dell should investigate the possibility of adding one or more set points below the 4000 RPM mark to provide cooling during light loads at a significant reduction in fan noise.

0 Kudos
Thibault_M
Copper

Re: Dell Latitude 6430u - Fan Speed

I agree with Eosphotog. Having the fan run at low speed at all times would solve the issue for most.

Problem is, I have tried every piece of software existing on the web to modulate the fan speed, (speedfan, HWInfo, ...) but it seems that a core program takes over everytime i change the speed, and puts it back to 4300 RMP(ish)...

If someone actually managed to apply a custom fan behaviour, I am most interested.

Could anyone provide feedback for the replacement of the fan ? I personnaly think it solves only half the problem, and that a BIOS update is needed, for the reasons I stated.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Diamond

RE: Dell Latitude 6430u - Fan Speed

Hi, I have a solution to the problem with the fan.

My computer when you start it began to turn the fan on 4600 rpm, and the already was left permanently.

hibernate the computer and after waking fans begin to work properly., starting from 2500 rpm and goes up as needed and then slows down. instead of constantly spin at high speed now is quiet because it has only 2500-2800 rpm. works every time, even as I have a set standard or ultra_preformance profile in the settings dell pack. i use intel raps start technology, I have not checked on a regular windows  hibernation. This trick does not work if you turn off the machine, if I turn off and on again, you need to hibernate. If you boot the system from scratch, you need to hibernate again to properly operate the fan. My computer is now very quiet, the only drawback is the need to hibernate. I think this is wrong in the management of the fan, which is unlocked after hibernation.

0 Kudos
WildaCZ
Copper

Dell released new bios A06 which lowers the RPM to roughly 3900 (in both standard and quiet mode).

Now the laptop is much more comfortable to work with (although I can imagine, that lowering RPM by another 400 would make even more pleasent while still being capable of keeping the laptop temps low enough in most scenerios)...

Anyway, thank you DELL 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Diamond

on the a06 is louder than it should be. Fan should run at a constant speed 2700 2800 rpm and then it is inaudible. As we need a fan to cool computer should speed up. The 3900 rpm it on too loud! My way, with the BIOS a05, you need to run your computer, go to sleep with Intel Rapid Start, After restarting the fan runs constantly on 2800 and it is quiet.

0 Kudos
Jeroen75
Bronze

Does anyone how I can identify if I have the right fa now in my laptop?

it has been replaced 4 times now, and they look all the same.

Regards,

Jeroen

0 Kudos
Thibault_M
Copper

I am very displeased to say that changing the fan did not change much for me.

AGAIN, if a programmer from DELL passes by this forum, the problem is the following:

FAN SPEED GESTION.

You have to allow it to run at low speeds AT ALL TIMES, so it won't kick in full speed 5 minutes after begin completely iddle ! 

I am no expert in the domain, but I believe this is not the biggest fix Dell had to do until now, and I'm amazed it hasn't been done yet on A06.

Getting a little around the topic here, but we are talking here about a 1000$+ computer. It should be able to be on par with other models of other brands (like the one with a fruit logo, not to be explicit) on noise and temp level. 

If by the usage of caps lock and strong vocabulary, i succeed to attract someone's from DELL attention, then this angry rant would've been worth it. Because, looking around the web, I know I'm not the only one not happy with the noise performance of this laptop.

Which is a shame because it is a beautiful machine.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jeo-d
Copper

I tried all three items (new Bios, new fan and setting to quite mode) and nothing changed the behavior of the laptop. The fan is either off or runs at ~3900RPM.

I hope there is another bios update coming that fix the problem.

0 Kudos
j.dH.
Copper

I too have updated the BIOS to the current latest version and had both the fan and motherboard replaced.  My fan is still either off or runs at ~4000RPM, when it is unacceptably loud.

Can't fault DELL support who have been excellent, but I agree that the issue with the fan requires a fix like a further BIOS upgrade.

It's a real shame because it lets down what is otherwise a very capable and attractive laptop.

I look forward to it's resolution... soon?

0 Kudos

I have the SAME issue.

Just got two brand spanking new 6430u's and ONE of them has this fan issue....I mean this thing would turn on and very shortly after go into turbo fan mode---its f-ing annoing as @$$#@

Its running updates now, and I will look for a new BIOS, but am not expecting anything....

I also started windows updates on these at the same time (just about) and the noisy fan POS is waaaay behind....

Total FAIL on Dell.

Just checked both mine...both at A06--the latest

now i gotta mess with arranging service on a *** BRAND NEW computer.

Dell- your making it easy to go with another company.

0 Kudos