Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 18th, 2010 10:00

Dell Latitude D820 Motherboard Version/Integrated Video Card

Hello, I have a Dell Latitude D820 Motherboard and I'm trying to figure out which version of motherboard this is, but I can't seem to find out where the item number is.  I'm also trying to figure out which version/brand of integrated video card it has and how much memory that card has.

Any help on this matter would be very appreciated, thank you.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 18th, 2010 10:00

The version with Intel video has no video RAM - it uses system RAM. 

There are two nVidia chips used on the discrete video versions - one has 128M and the other 256M of video RAM.

The nVidia chips are G72 designs - based  on the 8400/8600 that has developed such a notorious reputation for failure.  They were called Quadro NVS110 in this implementation, but by any name these are lemons of video chips.

The mainboard part number will start with DP/N and be near the memory socket on the bottom of the system ( you should be able to see it if you remove the memory hatch).

July 18th, 2010 14:00

Thank you, but how do I tell which version I have?  The motherboard I am trying to find it out for is not currently in the laptop.  I've looked at the bottom near the memory socket and I don't see any numbers that start with DP/N. 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 18th, 2010 14:00

Somewhere on the board is a Dell part number - or, if there's no heasink attached, look for an nVidia chip - if you don't see one, you have Intel video.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 22nd, 2011 14:00

The video chip can't be replaced - so the solution is a system board.  ALL the models using discrete video have the known-faulty nVidia chips so the Intel-video version is the reliable replacement.

1 Message

October 22nd, 2011 14:00

Any suggestions as to what can be a more reliable alternative? I had my motherboard replaced about a year and a half ago because the video card failed, and now I have the same problem. Any help would be much appreciated. Also, I currently have the 128M version installed, if there is no way around replacing the motherboard with an oem, can I install the 256M instead? 

Thanks in advance!!!!

-Eric

No Events found!