Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 29th, 2013 06:00

Dell Latitude E5510 Processor upgrade

I have a Latitude E5510 with an Intel Core i3-330M Processor (3M Cache, 2.13 GHz), socket rPGA988B. 
I would like to know if I can upgrade the processor to Intel Core i7-720QM Processor (6M Cache, 1.60 GHz)?
(I have processor i7-720QM from a dead laptop).
It is possible to do this processor upgrade?
Thank you,
Best regards

2.2K Posts

January 29th, 2013 07:00

Hi ruipais,

Dell Latitude E5510 comes with Intel HM55 Express Chipset. Please click the link mentioned below to find the list of compatible processors with Intel HM55 Express Chipset:

http://intel.ly/W8rrSr

Click "Compatible Products" to get the list of compatible processors.

Please update the BIOS before processor upgrade. Click the link mentioned below which will take you to the drivers website:

http://dell.to/QjjZDA

Enter the Service Tag of the computer and choose the Operating System installed on the computer. Please update the latest version of BIOS available.

NOTE: Ensure the adapter is plugged in and the battery is charged more than 30%.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

1 Message

March 18th, 2014 14:00

I have an E5510 laptop and found this thread while searching for compatible CPU upgrades. I updated the BIOS to A16 and installed an i7-720QM processor, and the laptop won't boot. The laptop is beeping 3 and then 5 times. Any ideas?

2 Posts

August 14th, 2014 00:00

what videocard do you have...?

1 Message

September 13th, 2014 09:00

The i7-720QM doesn't have any on board graphics with it.  Your laptop would have to have a dedicated video card.  When looking through the list posted earlier the i7-720QM has nothing listed for Graphics card.  That's how they can fit the extra 2 cores in there.  You'll have to find a processor that has the HD Graphics.

2 Posts

September 18th, 2014 23:00

Exactly....

That was the point of my question.

Removing a cpu with integrated graphic chip, it must be replaced with a correct cpu. He tried to replace it with a cpu without graphic chip...

October 16th, 2014 14:00

Hi,

I have also 5510 but with celeron P4600. I try to give it a I7-720QM with 4 core. It don't works. Bios is up to date with A16.

Why it don't works : 5 bips on turn on and left led is on.

Thanks.

Best regards

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 16th, 2014 17:00

A Celeron system probably has no onboard video - it depends on the CPU having a built-in GPU (which the P4600 does have).

The i7-720QM, being a first-generation i7, has no onboard GPU - so it will not work with your system (Intel had no room left on the the die for the GPU circuitry, so the first-gen quad i7s  had no onboard GPU).

October 16th, 2014 22:00

Thanks.

Do you think I can give to the computer a dual-core i3, i5 or i7 with intel HD graphic instead of dual core Celeron ?

For exemple a core i7 610E ?

Best regards

April 11th, 2016 21:00

Old thread, but new tech has changed the answer to this.

A new product called the GDC Beast, available on eBay and Amazon, allows the use of a Desktop video card in an external PCI-E 16x slot.  You also need a Desktop power supply to power the card and the GDC beast.

Basically, it is a PCI-E or Express card to Desktop 16x PCI-E slot.  This allows you to run any desktop video card.  I have a E5410 with the I7 dual core, but you can also run the 4 core I7 now that causes the black screen because the E5410 had no on mothboard GPU.  This allows an external GPU to be used, so you can now buy the I7 4 core and it all works.  You cannot take the laptop out of the house unless you put the old CPU back in, because once you unplug from the GDC beast, you leave your GPU behind.

What this is good for is people who want a 4 core CPU and the ability to use a Desktop GPU, which is more powerful than the Intel on CPU GPU.

The drawback?  You will only get 1x PCI-E throughput.  But with a good graphics card, like a GTX760, it blows away the Intel all day long for games and other 3d apps, even at PCI-E 1x.

They cost around $60 online, good luck, loving mine!

D

No Events found!