Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 26th, 2015 11:00

Dell Latitude E5530 mSATA Support Problem - URGENT HELP!

Dear Friends, I bought a Dell Latitude E5530 Laptop few days back,

I opened the Back cover of Laptop and Found Full Sized WWAN slot and Half Sized slot too ( See the Pictures), It is not written there mSATA, Is the Latitude E5530 WWAN slot still support mSATA or no? If anybody have this laptop and successfully Installed mSATA, please help me.  (FYI : I am a Computer Technician)

Thank You. 

9.4K Posts

May 27th, 2015 10:00

Hi Azam426,

Thanks for your interesting post.

I can find no data that supports putting an mSATA ssd in the WWAN slot on the Latitude E5530. 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19607365

Thanks.

Regards,
Robert

30 Posts

May 27th, 2015 12:00

A quick look around indicates that third-party WWAN cards are Mini PCIe.

There are Mini PCIe SSD cards for laptops, and IIRC, the M.2 standard for laptop SSD cards uses the same Mini PCIe connector, and IIRC, a key part of M.2 is that the card can be accessed as a SATA device directly, (by the sata controller on the motherboard,) or via PCIe (using a SATA controller embedded in the drive itself.)

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 27th, 2015 16:00

If you search, you'll find that mSATA drives are not supported - and even if a PCIe SSD works, it can be used only for storage -- not to boot the system, which basically renders it a fast storage device only -- not useable for the operating system.

The only way to boot an OS from an SSD in the system is to replace the standard hard drive with a 2.5" SATA SSD.

No Events found!