Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 27th, 2012 15:00

Dell Latitude E6420 wifi will not connect on wake

Hi all,

This must not be a prevalent problem because I tried searching the forum and there was not much to go on anyway here it is.

My system is a Dell E6420 with windows 7 Ultimate x64 all the latest drivers.

The problem started when I reformatted my laptop because of a RAM problem that caused the laptop to not boot.  I reinstalled windows  with all the drivers but started noticing that if the laptop was in sleep or hibernate when it woke the wifi would not connect until I did a right click troubleshoot and then it would connect fine.  I'm not sure what the problem is but it never did this before.

Also there is a something that I have noticed about the wifi card.  I had thought the laptop comes with DW1501 but when I look up the driver for E6420 with windows 7 x64 it came up with the DW1530 but when I look at the device manager it is the 1501.  So I'm not sure what happen but the driver for the DW1530 x64 was installed successfully, so I'm assuming it is ok. 

Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks

1 Message

January 13th, 2013 12:00

Hi,

I've just had exactly the same problem - new hard drive, so re-installed Windows 7 (64-bit professional) and all the drivers from Dell Downloads.  WiFi worked, sort of, but after hibernation would always require a wireless card reset through "troubleshooting".

Anyway, thanks to your observation about DW1501 versus DW1530, I have now solved the problem.  It would appear that the drivers that Dell list for my E6420 are for the DW1530 wireless card, but the wireless card in my machine is the DW1501.  I instead downloaded the wireless card drivers for an E6410 (which say they're for the DW1501), uninstalled and deleted the "E6420" DW1530 drivers, and installed the E6410 DW1501 drivers.  And hey presto it works perfectly now!

As far as I can tell, the Dell support tools, infrastructure, and website are next to useless at indicating which drivers I need.  The "scan your system" (or whatever it's called) apparently can't even detect that I'm running Window 7, not XP.  And its recommended driver list is not affected by me installing / uninstalling groups of drivers.

I wonder how many other drivers I've installed for my E6420 actually aren't for my machine!

1.3K Posts

December 27th, 2012 16:00

Hi dc5dd,

Kindly ensure that the drivers are installed in the correct order as mentioned in the below link.

http://dell.to/V3m8HS

Check the power management of the Wi-Fi card and ensure that it is on. Kindly send the service tag on a private message so that we could check the Wi-Fi card details and assist further.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

23 Posts

December 29th, 2012 00:00

Harish,

Am I suppose to uninstall all the drivers and install in the order given?  I don't remember which order I installed them in.

I checked the power management tab for the wifi and the checkbox for letting the computer turn the wifi card on and off has been checked

I have send the service tag with the friend request.

Thanks

1.3K Posts

December 30th, 2012 08:00

Hi dc5dd,

Unfortunately I have not received the service tag. Kindly message me the tag through a private message and also reinstall all the drivers in the sequence mentioned earlier.

23 Posts

December 31st, 2012 14:00

Update, I've installed the driver for DW1501 and waiting to see if the problem happens again.  It's kind of strange usually dell drivers will not install if it is the incorrect device but this one did???  I'll report back to see if the problem comes back.

23 Posts

January 2nd, 2013 07:00

No go, I reinstalled all the device drivers as recommended in the Latitude Efamily Reimage pdf but DID NOT reformat the laptop and then used the DW1501 driver but the problem has gotten worst.  Instead of right click on the wifi symbol and troubleshoot, windows now says there is a problem with the wifi adapter???  But if I restart the computer the wifi works again.  Harish anything on this yet?

23 Posts

January 10th, 2013 09:00

I also restarted the router still does not work

23 Posts

January 13th, 2013 20:00

dwvl, thanks for the reply, this forum should be for helping with these kinds of situations.  I talked to tech support today and they decided that is was a faulty wifi card, sending out a new one (useless).  I found the lenovo forum also has this problem apparently more wide spread than I thought.

forums.lenovo.com/.../2

Also dwvl I can confirm just as you that this is only with hibernate mode and not a problem with the power options or the power management on the wifi card.

I'll report back with the E6410 driver that dwvl is using.

23 Posts

January 13th, 2013 21:00

It seems to be working.  Uninstalled the driver in device manager, restart, installed the latest driver from E6410 for the DW1501 and then put into hibernate twice and everything is ok.  

I'll experiment with it for a week and then select dwvl as the answer if everything goes ok.

Thanks dwvl

23 Posts

January 22nd, 2013 20:00

OK, I've fairly certain that the wifi is working correctly.  Dell has send me the DW1530 so I installed the E6420 driver for DW1530 and it is problem free.  

Conclusion:  for some reason Dell is shipping the E6420 with the DW1501 wifi card and not the one listed on the driver page for the E6420.  So if in device manager you see the DW1501 install the driver for the E6410 for DW1501 and if you have the DW1530 install the E6420 driver for the DW1530

1 Message

July 21st, 2015 10:00

no me reconoce la controladora de red,  dispositivo desconocido, no funcionando el wifi.

nahikari

1 Message

August 5th, 2015 21:00

I have a problem similar to this too. It's been happening since the first day I got my Latitude E6420. It's a certified refurbished machine with Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit. Whenever I restart the system the wifi icon says it's connected, but I can't get internet access until I run the home group troubleshooter, and the fix it applies says "home group information needed to be refreshed." A few weeks ago I downloaded and installed some updated drivers, but now the problem has escalated. When I open the laptop after it's been in sleep mode, there is no network connection at all until I right click the icon and click connect. About an hour or  so ago, I looked for new network drivers, but I couldn't find any that matched my current drivers.

No Events found!