Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 11th, 2014 02:00

Dell Latitude E6440 Display Flicker / Unstable

I am using Dell Latitude E6440 laptop from last four months and flickering problem started in the last week. It is so weird that I can't even read. It works fine with external output device (TV). I tried to find Ambient Light Sensor setting after checking various forums, couldn't find it in BIOS and 'Left Arrow + Function Key' is also not working. Problem occurs with or without A/c adapter. Machine has got Intel HD Graphics 4600 card. 

Tried disabling 'Power Saving Technology' in Intel Graphics Power options but no success.

I have also downloaded recent updates from Microsoft, Dell and Intel.

Downloaded recent Video drivers compatible with Laptop.

Still could not solve this problem. Can you please have a look and let me know your opinion please? Thanks! 

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

August 12th, 2014 09:00

Hi sani.patil,

Thanks for the post! In order to troubleshoot first pining the issue down as either a hardware or software failure would be the best way to go.

Troubleshooting

I would suggest first removing all external devices, docks peripherals and cables, then running the LCD BIST test / checking the video displays correctly in the systems BIOS. The BIOS/BIST screens are displayed without software or video drivers loaded, if the system has the same issue here it’s likely a cable connectivity issue or failed hardware component, if these screens display normally the problem is likely software/driver related.

Solutions

If hardware: Try reseating the LCD cable, if displaying normally on an external monitor I would suspect the LCD/cable to be the issue in this situation.

If software: Try starting the system in safemode or with all/minimal start up programs disabled to try an narrow down the failure, it’s possible an installed software is causing the issue and requires removal/uninstallation. When updating your video drivers from Dell.com, make sure to uninstall the currently installed driver and software first, then restart and install again fresh. If the problem continues, running a Windows restore to a time the system was functioning normally or performing clean Windows reinstallation should get you back up and running.  

For more troubleshooting guides and information check out:

Resolving Laptop LCD Lines, Fuzzy, Color, or Blurry Issues

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?docid=266529

Thanks,

1 Message

October 3rd, 2014 11:00

I tried all your suggestions above since i was having the exact same issue. My resolution was to remove the strap/bar the holds the video cable down. After my 3rd attempt to reseat the cable I figured i'd give it a shot without. And eureka! So i'm not sure if the strap/bar is pinching or grounding or just stamped incorrectly. Hope this helps.

3 Posts

February 13th, 2015 15:00

The oldest post I have seen relating to this is 11 years old, and it has no answer.  I am looking for a solution as well, but it appears Dell does not have the answer, unfortunately.

3 Posts

November 6th, 2015 14:00

C'mon People!...  This one really simple:

1) Go to Computer > right click Manage > Device Manager and update the monitor driver.

2) Go to power options and make sure it's set to Maximize Performance

3) Right click on desktop, graphic properties (the ATI Part) and under power maximize performance on everything

4) Same for Switchable graphics, maximize performance.

Reboot - DONE, no more flickering...

2 Posts

November 9th, 2015 09:00

...and how do I make my GIF animation giffy with the my post?
(Not in a separate window)

2 Posts

November 9th, 2015 09:00

Okay rvillafu,

You must be looking for a challenge.

Conditions:

• e6440  (intel 4600 / amd 8690m)
  • Using the same laptop (not buying another one)
  • Not sending it to Dell
  • No more cost than personal time, electricity and IP  fee's if any

What is the solution to the blinking external monitor issue?
(Would like to use the HDMI but a VGA only solution will be still greatly appreciated)

There are some in need of your expansive insight into that
which does not want to remain

No Events found!