Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 6th, 2017 07:00

Dell Latitude E6440, Windows 7, Realtek HD Audio Manager has stopped working

Hi,

Every time I try to enable virtual soundcards from Windows playback, the Dell Audio crashes with message "Realtek HD Audio Manager has stopped working". We need the virtual soundcards to place SIP calls.

I have tried following Realtek High Definition Audio drivers, but the all behave the same way.

The problem exists on several our Dell laptops so it shoudn't be an installation issue. Any ideas how to resolve the issue?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 8th, 2017 06:00

I have tried following Realtek High Definition Audio drivers

Hello. None of the driver versions in your list is correct for the Latitude E6440. To see the correct versions, go to the Latitude E6440 html page. There are 5 Realtek versions for Windows 7.

I am not familiar with SIP, or why it requires a "virtual sound card", but maybe it would work with the Windows native audio driver. Here is one way to switch from the Realtek driver to the native driver:

1. Open the Device Manager.
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, sometimes you have to restart, sometimes not.
[To get back to the Realtek driver, do it again but reverse the names in steps 2 and 7.]

March 8th, 2017 22:00

Hi,

I downloaded version Audio_Driver_DFR6K_WN32_6.0.1.6098_A12.exe from Dell's page which should be compatible with Latitude E6440 html page. Audio manager still crashes. If I install Realtek's old driver. e.g. win7_win8_win81_r272.exe, which come's with Realtek's own audio manager it doesn't crash but the automatic switching between laptop speakers and headphone jack doesn't work with any of the Realtek's drivers.

We knew about the Windows native driver and we are currently testing with that option and it could possible resolve our problem. Thanks for your reply.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 9th, 2017 04:00

from Dell's page which should be compatible with Latitude E6440 html page.

I thought I had included a link to the Latitude E6440 html page, but I didn't. Here is the link.

If you want to try all of the other older Realtek drivers, completely remove the 6.0.1.6098 version, then install the oldest one, 6.0.1.5974. After that one, you should be able to install subsequent versions right over the preceding version, without having to completely remove the files again.

March 24th, 2017 02:00

Hi,

The company who created the virtual sound card driver, provided us a fixed version of the driver and Dell Audio manager doesn't crash anymore. This issue is now resolved. Thanks for your help.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 24th, 2017 04:00

Thanks for letting us know the resolution.

No Events found!