Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2015 15:00

Dell Latitude E6510 RAM installation

Hi I have a similar problem to this post by Wrand003 (http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19603981)but not exactly my problem is i have already installed the RAM and have gotten the OS to recognize that i have 8gb of RAM installed my problem is that it says in system info that only 3.24gb is usable, and i checked other forums and it turns out that to my knowledge the dell latitiude E6510 does not have a memory remap option in bios setup. So my question is how do i get the PC system to recognize the other 3.76gb as usable?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 7th, 2015 20:00

Hi,

The computer supports a maximum of 8GB* of memory when installed with two 4GB DIMMs; however, a 32-bit operating systems, such as the 32-bit version of Microsoft Windows, Which can only use a maximum of 4GB of address space. Moreover, certain components within the computer require address space in the 4GB range. Any address space reserved for these components cannot be used by computer memory; therefore, the amount of memory available to a 32-bit operating system is less than 4GB. Greater than 4GB memory requires 64-bit operating systems.

No Events found!