Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

September 8th, 2010 23:00

Dell Latitude E6510 Spontaneous shutdown and reboot

Hi! I've had my E6510 for about 2 months and I am having trouble with a spontaneous shutdown and reboot. There are no errors in the shutdown and the system reboots automatically within a few seconds of shutdown. I'm also experiencing trouble with system freezes. This latter problem may be fixed by an updated bios (as mentioned in another thread), but the shutdown and reboot is about to drive me crazy.

There is no rhyme or reason for it. I had it shutdown once when I pulled out a flashdrive one time, but the other times this was not an issue. Today I was typing an email message when it simply shutdown and rebooted.

Any ideas? It does not seem to be getting hot, but I need to check the LCD as mentioned in another thread.

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions! I should mention this is 64-bit with 8MB RAM, running Windows 7.

I am ...

Frustrated in AZ

March 4th, 2011 04:00

Same configuration, same problem for me.  Did you get an answer?  I've had the motherboard replaced and am still having the problem.  Since my motherboard replacement I've noticed that it only happens when I'm docked.  That shouldn't make any difference, but it is the only common factor I have so far.

1 Message

March 11th, 2011 22:00

Unfortunately uninstalling the Dell Accelerometer software was not the solution.  The Dell Latitude E6510 Windows 7 64-Bit laptop error… In event viewer I was able to locate this error message “Log Name: System, Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power, Event ID: 41, Level: Critical, Description: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly”.  Basically look for Event ID: 41 & 6008.   I had Dell replace the laptop completely.  The laptop still shutdown unexpectedly at least 6 times a day.  I was also working with a Microsoft support technician and he was amazed by the issue. 

Our solution was to contact our Dell sales team and insist on getting a complete model replacement to the Latitude E6520 and set up a Return Material Authorization (RMA).  I suggest contacting Dell customer service to do the same.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/topic.aspx/ca/shared/support/dellcare/en/byphone_ord?c=ca&l=en&s=gen

March 13th, 2011 14:00

That is exactly the error I'm getting although mine "only" shuts down about once every couple of days.  I'll give your fix a try and report back.

2 Posts

March 16th, 2011 06:00

Please do report back with your findings......I am very interested.

I have had my E6510 (Core i7, 8 GB, Win 7  64-bit)  since July 2010.  I use it heavily and it has been docked with dual monitors every work day since then.   For several months, I struggled with with very strange USB related blue screens while shutting down and/or pulling out USB devices, as well as intermittent black screen (for about 8 minutes) when unlocking the screen.   These issues seemed to get better after the BIOS update and I believe the issues are completely gone after Win 7 SP1.

However, yesterday out of nowhere while docked and working, the thing beeps and instantly turns off.   The  lights on the machine and the E series monitor stand were off for a second and then came back on.  The machine did not auto power back on though....I had to press the power button on the monmitor stand.

Luckily I was in a remote server and nothing was lost, however, this thing has me seriously worried now.   These things have any kind of internal logging like a server where I would be able to tell if the shutdown was for Thermal/Heat reasons ? 

1 Message

March 21st, 2011 15:00

I've been workin with tonylapolla on this issue and his recommendation did not resolve it.  We'll continue to troubleshoot this.

April 5th, 2011 11:00

For what its worth, I have another one of these pieces of garbage...err...finely engineered laptops and am having the same problem. Of course, Dell says they have no known issues, thanks for taking ownership of the problem Dell. I've uninstalled the Accerometer software and am still having the crashes. I'm going to waste some time on the phone with Dell tech support tomorrow, on the off chance we come up with something, I'll post it here.

13 Posts

May 23rd, 2011 08:00

This all sounds similar to my customer that has a E6510 with i7 and 4GB RAM with WinXP. While docked with dual monitors, generally when idle for a short amount of time will go to a black screen state with the fan running. He has to turn it off and on at that point. I've updated drivers, but to no effect. We will be calling ProSupport this week if it continues.  (I've been struggling with it for a few months.)

2 Posts

August 4th, 2011 12:00

We are experiencing a similar problem with a Latitude E6420 with a similar configuration.  BIOS is A05, and the power off's are logged in the BIOS as an ASF2 Force Off event.  Is the only resolution to keep contacting Dell Support when this happens?

Thanks

August 5th, 2011 07:00

Sorry, but my solution only occured when Dell replaced my 6410 with a new 6420.  Since then I've had no issues.

1 Message

September 22nd, 2011 10:00

We had this same problem with a bunch of our E6510s.  We decided to start removing some of the latest windows patches around the time that it started happening.  We seem to be having some success removing KB2529073 and KB982018.

13 Posts

October 15th, 2011 16:00

Things *seem* to be stable after replacing the RAM.

1 Message

October 25th, 2011 18:00

Same issue with dell 6320. We found it to be the WWAN card(model Gobi 5530) while docked causing the ASF2 Force Off.  Disable the Wireless Switch on the right hand side of the computer. BTW: ASF stands for Alert Standard Format controls features such as WOL. Hopefully, this helps you.

1 Message

September 10th, 2013 16:00

E6510 same random shutdown problem. Turned off WIFI switch. Problem solved.

2 Posts

September 11th, 2013 08:00

To be clear.....did you disable the switch in the BIOS ?   or you simply turned the switch to the off position ?

November 4th, 2013 03:00

how to disable in automatic system shotdown

No Events found!