Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 8th, 2015 21:00

Dell Latitude E7440 CPU speed capped after sleep

My Dell Latitude E7440 laptop came with Windows 8.1 at the time I bought it. I did not notice this problem until I upgraded to Windows 10.

Sometimes when I put the laptop to sleep and resuming at a later time, the CPU speed is limited to around 0.78 GHz and switching to High Performance mode won't help. The computer becomes very slow and the only way to fix it is rebooting.

I have the latest BIOS installed (A15) and other drivers are also updated.

I have seen other threads saying that the problem is caused from using Dell Power Companion but I am not using it. I have 2 power adapters that I use with this laptop, one of them is a Dell 90W adapter. I am not sure about the other one as I do not have it right now, but that one originally came with the laptop.

Any temporary/permanent fix for this? Thank you.

November 9th, 2015 14:00

I've solved this problem. Downgrade BIOS to A01 and update step by step every single newer version - A01>A02>A03 ... >A15. Now, I'm on BIOS A15 and there is no problem with CPU after suspend. i7-4600u, W8.1 x64.

1 Message

October 11th, 2015 03:00

Hello. Unfortunately i have no solution but i can report the exact same behaviour.

I have also an E7440 with latest firmware version and Windows 10 (with latest updates).

Do you have any new information or workaround for the problem?

1 Message

October 13th, 2015 12:00

My Latitude E7440 also have a very similar issue after sleep after I upgraded to Windows 10.

In my case it works when I plug in the AC adapter, but when switching to battery I can never get above 0.98 GHz even if I adjust the power plans. Rebooting the computer resolves the issue.

I do not have Dell Power Companion installed either.

3 Posts

October 14th, 2015 15:00

Can't offer a fix, but can say I have exactly the same issue.

Suspect others do too, very frustrating! 

Would happen with 8.1pro for me too, upgraded to 10 as a new build in case it was software related, but still the same issue.

2 Posts

October 18th, 2015 10:00

I hade the same problem on Win 8.1 Pro, i7-4600U CPU version.

Only reboot fix problem.

:-(

1 Message

November 6th, 2015 04:00

Same here - 0.78 Ghz stuck when NTB woke up on battery. Restart or plugin to power fix it. Please FIX IT

7 Posts

November 6th, 2015 10:00

I'm facing exactly the same problem.

Bios A15, i7-4600U, Windows 8.1 x64, both with and without Power Companion

Restart fixes it.

Did anyone try to resolve this with the newer A16 bios? I tried A16 for a while but it seems that it kills the card reader (had to downgrade to A15 to get it back).

This is not a cheap laptop. It should not have these kind of issues.

November 13th, 2015 07:00

I've solved this problem. Downgrade BIOS to A01 and update step by step every single newer version - A01>A02>A03 ... >A15. Now, I'm on BIOS A15 and there is no problem with CPU after suspend. i7-4600u, W8.1 x64.

Where did you download BIOS version A02, A06, A09 and A11 ?

On Dell E7440 support page, those 4 versions are missing. Here : https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=17KP5&fileId=3493406432&osCode=WT64A&productCode=latitude-e7440-ultrabook&languageCode=EN&categoryId=BI

Do you think I can just skip them? (And now A16 is out)

Thanks.

3 Posts

November 13th, 2015 16:00

Thank you Konradzio316

I too had this issue, I had already updated to A16 which did not resolve it, therefore followed Konradzio316 suggestion.

I downloaded all the available BIOS versions from the support site (a few were missing so just skipped them), then installed A01 and each available version in order all the way back to A16 and the problem is resolved!

So looks like some sort of BIOS issue was causing the CPU to be speed limited to 0.78Ghz or similar speeds until you rebooted - not any more though its now all good again.

Tam

November 15th, 2015 11:00

I confirm, versions which are missing from Dell official site should be simply skipped. When I was looking for solution of this problem with CPU, I notice one more issue (maybe another users of this forum have this issue too):
When I downgrade BIOS to A01, to start my computer I had to remove one of my RAM chip (I have 2x8GB). Only after removing one of them my e7440 starts to boot BIOS/UEFI and after that Windows. And after shutting down and power on my e7440 (without flashing next version of BIOS) I note this strange issue again. To start my PC i had to add second chip of RAM. And after turn off PC, to power on at next time I had to remove one chip of RAM again. This strange problem was terrifying for me, but fortunetly after updating BIOS to A07 version it dissapear. Of course, I update step by step every simple version from A01 to A07 when this boot-RAM-chipsets-freaky issue dissapear.

November 16th, 2015 20:00

OP here.

I tried Konradzio316's method and I can now confirm that this is the solution. Thank you.

7 Posts

November 17th, 2015 08:00

So i tried Konradzio's method, but i still face the same problem.

Loaded all the available bioses in a bootable DOS USB stick, and upgraded one after the other.

The only thing that could be different in my process, is that everytime after a flash, i went into the bios and reset it to defaults. Then shut down, then booted again to USB and so on, until version A15.

Did anyone of you guys that fixed it with this method, reset the bios to default after each flash? If you didn't i will try again without resetting.

3 Posts

November 17th, 2015 12:00

DOS USB Stick - why?

Reset bios - Why?

All I did was download all versions available, saved them to my downloads directory, plugged in my mains power.  Then opened my downloads folder up, right clicked on A01 version, Selected "Run as Administrator" and selected OK to the messages that popped up.

It rebooted, flashed, rebooted, and then windows booted up.

I logged in, opened my downloads directory, opened the next version (A03 at present) and repeated the above process.

Easy!

Tam

7 Posts

May 5th, 2016 05:00

New BIOS version A18 fixes the problem for me (and the card reader keeps working, unlike A16 and A17).

June 5th, 2016 11:00

After I posted my reply that the issue was gone, I installed A16 and A17 and the card reader stopped working so I returned to A15 and the clock speed problem came again!! Now the reinstalling method from the first version didn't work anymore. I stuck at A15 because I need to use card reader. Instead of putting laptop to sleep and face the clock speed bug, I need to put it to hibernate... 

Months gone by and now A18 is out, I just installed it a couple minutes ago and came here to post. I will use my laptop for a while and see if anything changes.

No Events found!