Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 6th, 2014 13:00

Dell Latitude e5540 doubles letters and spaces randomly

Please let Dell know how many of  you  are experiencing the following problem:

I regularly find that,  with a  single keystroke, my brand new Dell Latitude e5540 laptop randommly produces 2 spaces (most often) and double letters (sommewhat less often than the doubled spaces, but consistently and  predictably). The faster I type, the more oftenn the errors occur... I have  found  it to be an issue of how hard I strike the keys. The keys  controlled by my dominant right hand are most often affected whereas those controlled by my pinkie fingers NEVER have been affected.

I  amm only one of many employees at my place  of  work who all are experiencing the same problemm. I have asked repeatedly for Dell to let me know the extent of this problem and whether they have a recall of this model (which, as far as I can tell, is pervasive with this particular mmodel). My persistent questions have never been answered by Dell, despite numerous contacts with 3 different agents.

Please join me in pressuring Dell to address this problem. 

Thannks, -Jay

P.S. If you notice double letters where there should  be single letters or   extra spaces in this e-mail and this post scrippt, please read on for the reasonn: I am using the brand new Dell Latitude e5540 computer our school system recently purchased to write this e-mail. I have simmply givven up  editing my typing... you're getting the spontaneous errors caused by this computer so you can see for yourself and hopefully help me to motivate Dell to fix the problemm soonner, rather than latter.

IMPORTANTLY, if you are having similar problems with YOUR BRAND NEW Dell Latitude e5540 laptop you specifically will NOT have tthese problems if you use an external keyboard... it only occurs with the laptop's built in keyboard) PLEASE send me your servvice  tag (S/N) nummber from the bottom of your Delll LLatitude e5540 computer and I will include your commputer in my conntact with Delll about this problem. (It is  a problemm of this particular model... I have never experiennced this before with any other computer).

2 Posts

July 13th, 2014 13:00

This is now fixed with the latest BIOS update. 

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=N08MD&fileId=3384660450&osCode=W764&productCode=latitude-e5540-laptop&languageCode=EN&categoryId=BI

2 Posts

May 12th, 2014 08:00

Sorry, there is my ntb S/N:<ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed as per privacy policy>

Radim

2 Posts

May 12th, 2014 08:00

I have the saame experience as you describeed, just someti me my keyboard geenerate space when I stroke another key. 

I typewrite just by 2 fingers and I've had no problem with aanother notebook yet.

Radim

May 12th, 2014 10:00

Thanks,  Radim

Just to be sure... you  are indicating thatt  these  are  problemms you  are having SPECIFICALLY with a Dell Latitude e5540 laptop? 

-Jay

33 Posts

May 19th, 2014 08:00

One of our users has just reported this same problem on a new Latitude E5540. We have deployed 9 of these laptops over the past month but only one has reported this issue so far. If you do find the cause it would be great to know.

10 Posts

May 19th, 2014 13:00

I have an E5540 bought Jan2014.

Same issue with double letters, I thought it was me.

2 Posts

May 26th, 2014 01:00

I can confirm the above mentionted behaviour. We got three E5540 laptops last November/December. My laptop has the issue, the other two laptops does not have this problem.

The issue is not limitied to a specific OS (exclude of a driver problem). One colleague uses Windows 7, the other one uses Windows 8.1. Will test the laptop with a linux live cd soon to validate, that it is not a driver problem.

@JustCallMeDrJay: Did you get some more information from Dell yet? Does they already replaced some hardware parts?

1 Message

June 9th, 2014 20:00

Jay,

I'm typing thiis oon my 2 moonth old Dell Latituude E55400. I am not coorrectting anythiing and I am typing very lightlyy and you caann see thhe problem is veryy bad. It's especiallly nice when I have to type in passwords as I caan''t see whhat I'm typing and hhave to go by the number of asterisks. My s/n is <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed as per privacy policy>

Good lluck,

Stephen

6 Posts

June 23rd, 2014 21:00

I haave the same problem with my Dell Latitudde 6540.

It's the hardware. An external keyboard works fine.

I think they need to fix this ASAP. The keyboard is the primary interrface to the laptop and it needs to work flawlessly.. What use is a laptop with a defective keyboard?

I am surprised they havvenn't been suedd for this yet.

2 Posts

June 25th, 2014 06:00

I'm having the same probllem. I just receiived a new keyboard from Dell and installed it. Before I only had trouble wwith the letter W, but now it randomly double--strikes at random. I'm starting to think that the issue is not with the Chhicony keyboard (unless there is a design flaw with all of them).

July 4th, 2014 05:00

Hi Jay (and the other)

I have recently purchased an E6540 (so probably slightly different, but looking at the images of the product, it would appear that is shares the same keyboard part(s).)

I am picking up the SAME issue, mostly with the spacebar. Normally I strike it with my right thumb, but I cannot quite work out why sometimes it takes a single-tap and now and then, it takes the keypress as two. I still haven't worked out why, or what the pattern is.

Good luck in keeping the pressure on for a recall. 

Regards

Nick

2 Posts

July 13th, 2014 13:00

I recently purchased an E5540 from Dell Outlet and am experiencing the same problem, primarily with the spacebar. My guess is that the "debounce" setting on the keyboard isn't long enough. Keyboards usually have a debounce feature which counts multiple very quick key presses as a single press. It's not unusual for a mechanical switch to have a little "bounce" in it, meaning that when you press the key, particularly quickly, the switch bounces back up momentarily and then goes back down making a double press. The debounce algorithm takes care of that and makes it look like a single press. I've noticed that the keyboard seems rather flimsy and there is a fair amount of deflection (bending) of the keyboard when a key is pressed. This may be contributing to the problem.

July 14th, 2014 02:00

Hi,

Thanks for that.

I ran the BIOS update for my E6540 and it seems that the problem has now gone. Phew! That's quite a relief.

Ta

Nick

2 Posts

July 14th, 2014 12:00

Hello,

after updating the BIOS to version A07 the problem has gone away on my Latitude E5540. Previously BIOS version A00 was installed.

Thanks!

2 Posts

July 14th, 2014 12:00

I've only had the new BIOS installed for approximately a day now, however it appears to have solved the problem.  Only time will tell for sure.

No Events found!