Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

September 18th, 2017 20:00

Dell Latitude e6440 Displayport flicker e-Port replicator

I have a Dell Latitude e6440 (Intel+AMD video) with the newest BIOS A18 and the newest video drivers.  It is connected to an ePort Replicator 0PKDGR.   I have a Displayport cable connected between the ePort and an ACER 43" 4k UltraHD monitor at 3840x2160.

When I resume the Laptop from sleep/standby/hibernate, the screen flashes bars and sometimes completely turns off for a few seconds.

If I reboot, then everything is fine.

I've tried:

• Making sure the bios and drivers are all up to date.
  • I had an unrelated issue about 2 months ago, and my motherboard and cooling fan were replaced.  So I'm assuming the motherboard is newer/better if there was ever a fix for this issue, but not entirely sure.   Since the Intel/AMD graphics are on the motherboard.  They were replaced.  The issues remained before and after.  
  • Tried turning off hibernate.  Using only regular standby.  Issue persists.
  • Tried turning off standby and only using Hibernate.  Same issue
  • It seems to happen more when the system is being used more.  Cooling fan runs more often.
  • Tried a different Displayport cable
  • Tried a different displayport connection on the EPort, DP1 vs DP2

Might be a coincidence, but I was just trying something and switched my monitor from Displayport 1.2 to 1.1.  The resolution of the display went down to 2k.   Then I switch back to DP 1.2 and the issue seems to have gone away.   I'm going to try this next time it happens.

So...I've seen threads on this.. I believe I tried everything on the other threads.  Is it worth calling in?   Would they replace the Motherboard differently for a display issue vs a cooling issue?

Is it possible that there is an issue with the eDock?

4 Posts

September 19th, 2017 17:00

Ok...so the issue happened again today.  This time, instead of changing displayport revisions, I just tried changing the display Resolution in Windows to 2560x1440.  Then I changed it back to 3840x2160 and no flickering.

So it seems like something in the display drivers when it comes out of sleep.

9.4K Posts

September 20th, 2017 05:00

Hi mogulman1,

Thanks for posting.

Does the same thing happen without the eDock?  Here is some information you may find helpful: http://dell.to/2xmqqE1

4 Posts

September 21st, 2017 08:00

Changing resolution doesn't seem to be an answer.    Changing my monitor from Displayport 1.2 to 1.1, seems to fix the issue.   I can't leave it as 1.1, because then the max resolution through displayport is only 2k.  

So I change the monitor from Displayport 1.2 to 1.1 and then back again.  This fixes it for a time until the next wakeup from sleep.

Rebooting the PC cures the issue as well.

So seems like a video driver/hardware issue on the laptop.

4 Posts

September 21st, 2017 08:00

There is no Displayport connection on the laptop.  Only on the e-dock.  Also, the link you provided just talks about updating drivers and bios.     I already said that I did that.

No Events found!