Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2017 06:00

Dell Latitude shuts down instantly when power cable removed (despite full battery)

I've recently started working at a new company and I've been provided with a brand new Latitude E5570. After 3 days use the laptop has started to shut down when the power cord is unplugged, it was working fine yesterday but having returned to work this morning I've found that I can't use the laptop unless it is plugged in (it wont turn on if the cord is unplugged). I've tried using a different power cable from a colleagues laptop, but the situation did not change. I've also tried changing and resetting the power plans to default, but to no avail.

I ran a battery check through command prompt and it showed that the battery is working fine with 100% charge, so I cannot understand why it refuses to work without the power cable. Here's a link to the report (must be opened in a browser): https://www.dropbox.com/s/ezwtuiowx0kz4gb/battery-report.html?dl=0 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 16th, 2017 11:00

The charging circuit on the motherboard is probably bad.  That allows the battery to accept and provide current. When I worked in a previous job years ago supporting hundreds of laptops, we had a few of these. If I'm right, I suspect that as you wait for your battery to self-discharge over time, you'll find that it battery won't charge anymore either.

August 17th, 2017 04:00

This seems to be the case! I've contacted dell and they are going to send a technician out to my office tomorrow - good customer service there.

No Events found!