JackCanham1993
1 Copper

Dell Latitude shuts down instantly when power cable removed (despite full battery)

I've recently started working at a new company and I've been provided with a brand new Latitude E5570. After 3 days use the laptop has started to shut down when the power cord is unplugged, it was working fine yesterday but having returned to work this morning I've found that I can't use the laptop unless it is plugged in (it wont turn on if the cord is unplugged). I've tried using a different power cable from a colleagues laptop, but the situation did not change. I've also tried changing and resetting the power plans to default, but to no avail.

I ran a battery check through command prompt and it showed that the battery is working fine with 100% charge, so I cannot understand why it refuses to work without the power cable. Here's a link to the report (must be opened in a browser): https://www.dropbox.com/s/ezwtuiowx0kz4gb/battery-report.html?dl=0 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jphughan
5 Rhenium

RE: Dell Latitude shuts down instantly when power cable removed (despite full battery)

The charging circuit on the motherboard is probably bad.  That allows the battery to accept and provide current. When I worked in a previous job years ago supporting hundreds of laptops, we had a few of these. If I'm right, I suspect that as you wait for your battery to self-discharge over time, you'll find that it battery won't charge anymore either.

0 Kudos
JackCanham1993
1 Copper

RE: Dell Latitude shuts down instantly when power cable removed (despite full battery)

This seems to be the case! I've contacted dell and they are going to send a technician out to my office tomorrow - good customer service there.

0 Kudos