Highlighted

Dell Lattitude E7240 Headset Jack

Jump to solution

Hi

My work have just given me a Dell Lattitude E7240 which has a 3.5mm 'headset' jack which i understand means it is a combined headphone and microphone jack - does this mean it functions the same as the headset jack on a mobile device? can I use the same type of headset? if so how do i configure it? I have tried but dont seem to be able to get sound.

to elaborate, when i plugged my headset in, i got a pop up asking me what sort of device i was using (headphone/speaker out/headset and some skull candy options) so i selected 'headset;'

when i check my sound settings i can see the green bar showing input against the mic (Jack Mic) and when i test the sound i can see the green bar moving against Realtek High Definition audio but can't hear anything through the headset  I Have nothing muted either in Dell Audio or Windows.

any tips or guidance on what type of headset i can use, and how to configure it would be gratefully received

Tags (2)
4 Replies
Jim Coates
Gallium

RE: Dell Lattitude E7240 Headset Jack

Jump to solution

Hello, sorry for the delay.

The combo audio jack uses a phone headset with a TRRS plug. There might be a problem with the Realtek audio driver. To check that, switch to the Windows native audio driver and plug in the headset. With the native driver the mic probably won't work but the headphones definitely should, so if they don't then there is probably a hardware issue. In that case try other headphones or headsets and if still nothing works contact tech support for a repair if still under warranty.

To switch drivers:

1. Open the Device Manager (type devmgmt.msc in the search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, then no need to restart.
[To get back to the Realtek driver,  do it again but reverse the names in steps 1 and 6.]

Jim Coates -- 14 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

Jump to solution

similar problem here.

I can hear the sound from the headset but cannot use the headset mic. (only the mic array but that catches too much background noise)

Jim Coates
Gallium

Jump to solution

similar problem here.

Hello. The original poster wrote:

"when i check my sound settings i can see the green bar showing input against the mic (Jack Mic) and when i test the sound i can see the green bar moving against Realtek High Definition audio but can't hear anything through the headset "

I think he/she was saying that he wants to hear his voice through the headphones of the headset. If that is the case then my reply to him last year was wrong and should have been:

Monitoring is turned off by default. To enable monitoring of the mic, go to the Recording tab of the Sound properties, select the Microphone, click Properties (or right click on Microphone to open the context menu then click on properties), select the Listen tab, then check "Listen to this device". Here is a screen shot of the path. Note that under the word Microphone it says  "Realtek High Definition".  If the word Realtek is missing then the Realtek driver must be installed because the external mic jack won't work without it.

similar problem here.

If your problem is not exactly as described by the original poster then please give full details, including the full model name of the laptop, the operating system, the audio driver you have installed, what you have tried to fix it, and screenshots if applicable.

Jim Coates -- 14 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
jyuan2004
Copper

Jump to solution

I followed Jim's instructions and got my headset working.

I tested with a Skullcandy headset that has a built-in mic. Before the change, the driver software was "Realtek xxx". I got no input from the mic when I tested with the Sound Recorder. In WebEx conference sessions, my voice could not be heard by anyone.

After the change, the driver becomes "High Definition Audio Device". The "Realtek xxx" driver is no longer listed. The mic input is picked up by the Sound Recorder. I haven't tested in WebEx, but I think it would work fine.

I also tested with a Sennheiser headset with mic. It seems to work with the Sound Recorder also. Now, I have 2 headsets working.

0 Kudos