agon123456
1 Copper

RE: Dell M.2 / NVME Specifications And Upgrade Requirements For Latitude, XPS, Precision Mobile and Optiplex

Jump to solution

hello buddies can someone tell me the cons of this dell laptop earningkart.in/.../

0 Kudos

RE: Dell M.2 / NVME Specifications And Upgrade Requirements For Latitude, XPS, Precision Mobile and Optiplex

Jump to solution

@H0llym0lly,

No new updates. I'm still working on it.

@Brueck,

Thank you for your note. Please do send me a friend request with your service tag and I'll see what I can do.

Justin C

Dell Technical Support L3 | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos
Brueck
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Justin-C,

Last Monday I had another Dell service technician visiting me and the fifth motherboard was installed in my new Precision 3620.

Again, the problem has not been solved. The system does not start again and once again no error message or flashing of the power button is displayed. Or the computer starts up to the BIOS/UEFI display and tells me that it cannot find a hard disk.

As I told you in the last post I found a correlation with the monitors, the Dell U2412M. But now I've got the gritter's solution. It's not the monitors that where the problem, but the two display port cables that came with the monitors in the original are the problem.

Up to now, I had only changed the monitors without changing the wires during my attempts. To test a different DP monitor type, I had to take the PC with me to another office. The PC ran flawlessly there.

I then connected my PC to my two monitors with two other cheap DP cables.

What else should I say, the system has been running for 3 days now. Also the hard disks PM951, as well as the Toshiba from Dell and also my own Samsung Evo 960 Pro are now recognized properly.

For me, the problem seems to have been solved. I don't quite understand the connection, but I think there is a problem with the recognition of the monitors due to incorrect or incomplete DP cables.

Many thanks also to DarrDarr and everyone else for your help. Maybe my explanation will help others.

0 Kudos
sleeve22
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

@ddrenth,

Did you manage to find a work around? I have the same laptop running the same Plextor SSD. After playing around with different settings I have mine running without issue, though it took lots of time to get running.

0 Kudos
RabanserD
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Justin,

we are planning on buying several Latitude 5580 (HQ CPU) which come with a 256GB M.2 SSD.

- Can we use the 2,5" slot for a additional SSD/HDD?

--If so do we need some parts?

or

- Can we remove the M.2 SSD with a 2,5" SSD/HDD without the need of parts (e.g. 2.5" case)

Based on the description only a M.2 cache + 2.5" is available.

"Maximum internal dives supported: 2

Drive configurations supported: (1x M.2) (1x 2.5inch SATA) (1x M.2 cache drive and 1x 2.5 inch drive )

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@Brueck,

Glad to hear that and thank you for sharing your experience here.

@H0llym0lly,

I'm still working on the 9360. So far, I can confirm that the slot is wired as 4x. We've known that for some time now. What I have not confirmed is: does the 9360 ship with any processors that only use only 2 of 4 lanes on the motherboard. I will let you know.

@RabanserD,

Thank you for considering the 5580.

You can have either one of the following configs at any one time:

One M.2

One 2.5

One 2.5 and one 2242 M.2 cache drive in the WWAN slot

The system does not support:

1x 2280 M.2 and 1x 2.5 at the same time

Dell also does not support:

1x 2280 and 1x 2242 at the same time

Yes, you'll need parts in order to switch from M.2 2280 to 7mm 2.5:

1x 6F7DD - HDD bracket

1x 6NVFT - HDD cable

4x - 4270E  screw

Justin C

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@H0llym0lly,

Dell engineering has advised me that all processors compatible with 9360 all support 4 lanes.

As Dell does not support the EVO on the 9360, I can't say why people are getting 2 lanes with that drive. Could be firmware compatibility or driver issues.

Justin C

0 Kudos
griffsters
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hello Justin,

I'm looking to purchase a few Latitude 5580s with the 92 WH battery, and would like to swap out the M.2 2280 SSD in it.  According to the 5580 Owner's Manual, the M.2 SSD has a size limit of 512GB.  However, according to Crucial.com's compatibility matrix for the 5580, the 1TB M.2 is compatible.  When the 5580 came out, Dell wasn't offering 1TB SSDs, so I believe this is why they had this limit in the documentation.  Will you confirm that the M.2 2280 interface will accept a 1 TB SSD before I attempt to purchase the laptops and memory?  Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Greetings Griffsters,

Thank you for your question and interest in the 5580.

It's very rare for Dell to adjust any system firmware in order to limit a system to below NTFS or GPT standards. I have no reason to believe that a firmware limit has been set on the 5580. Even when the user's guide says 512GB max.

I pulled up my internal customization page and my internal parts replacement page and each reflects maximums of 512GB drives. This means that Dell simply hasn't, and currently does not sell the 5580 with a 1TB M.2. This does not mean that the firmware does not support drives that are over 512GB.

I suspect that Crucial has tested this by physically installing a 1TB M.2 drive and found that it worked for them. Now can I guarantee any one 1TB drive will work? No. You'll simply have to try it at your own risk. It's my firm opinion that most 1TB M.2 drives will work with the 5580 however.

Justin C

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

great support, thank you so much Yes Yes

0 Kudos