bcodezinfo
1 Copper

RE: Dell M.2 / NVME Specifications And Upgrade Requirements For Latitude, XPS, Precision Mobile and Optiplex

Jump to solution

My screen suddenly went black. But my laptop is working fine.

I restarted several times, still no solution.

If your system is running and screen is black or blank.

Just wipe your RAM and you could able get the screen back.

Its all about the ram usage.

Thanks for the solution.

0 Kudos
dcourtois07
1 Copper

RE: Dell M.2 / NVME Specifications And Upgrade Requirements For Latitude, XPS, Precision Mobile and Optiplex

Jump to solution

Hi

Can you post information about the M.2 support of Inspiron 7460?

Regards

Sealover8016
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Did you find out anything on the 950 pro? I put one in my XPS 15 9550 with no problems. I've ordered one for my latitude e7470 bUT now I'm seeing something where ithe can't run the nmve to its full potential. Basically only x2 instead of x4. Then I've also read that there is a way to get it to run x4....so I've been looking EVERYWHERE to find some answers.  Any luck?

0 Kudos
Darr.Darr
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

> Did you find out anything on the 950 pro?

I returned mine to amazon, since the answer I received here indicated Dell might not support them. From info I've found elsewhere, its full speed potential requires the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver... and it's my understanding that driver doesn't load if you set the SATA controller (in BIOS) to use AHCI instead of the (typically default, if installed) hardware RAID.  Is that driver offered in your XPS's Drivers and Downloads page, and do you have RAID enabled?

0 Kudos
salfter
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I'm looking at 512GB NVMe SSDs to replace the 128GB SATA SSD in my Latitude 7370.  Tom's Hardware was particularly impressed with the MyDigitalSSD BPX for a balance between price and performance:

www.tomshardware.com/.../mydigitalssd-bpx-nvme-ssd,4780.html

They noted that it's a double-sided design, however, with chips on both sides.  The factory-installed SSD (an SK Hynix SC300) is single-sided.  Would there be enough clearance between the SSD PCB and the motherboard to accomodate a double-sided SSD, or should I stick with single-sided SSDs?

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

You mention the XPS 13 9350 is x4 capable in the M.2 slot.  

The specifications manual shows the PCIe data rate as 8 Gbps.

Are the two statements compatible?  Is the M.2 PCIe drive limited for some other reason other a PCIe lane limitation?

There are many ways to look at numbers, but what I see is x4 with PCIe 2.0 is 16 Gbps and PCIe 3.0 is 32 Gbps.  When I see a speed rating where a SATA drive is 6 Gbps and a PCIe drive is only 8 Gbps, I am a little disappointed.

Thanks... just trying to decide if I need to go with a PCIe drive rather than SATA.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
I-Way Vagabond
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Can anyone help me find part no. 1X2MT thermal cover for the Dell Latitude E5470?  I've tried calling customer service.  But all they tell me is that the part is not available?

0 Kudos
Darr.Darr
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

@ I-Way Vagabond

I see them at www.waresphere.com/.../m-2-pci-e-ssd-end-bracket-cover-dell-latitude-e5470-x3yr8-1x2mt.html

but you have to buy a X3YR8 bracket at the same time... also, it won't ship until after they're done  celebrating arrival of the year of the rooster.

0 Kudos
Sealover8016
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Sorry I'm just seeing this post. On my XPS I had it originally in RAID. It was just the other day I switched to AHCI and set the controller to Samsung and used there drivers. Before it was all MS drivers and the Samsung Magician wouldn't detect it. Honestly the XPS in RAID with the MS drivers worked fine. The reason I switched was due to seeing slightly better benchmark scores with the Samsung drivers and controllers.

As for the e7470 (which I'm on right now) I still haven't put in the 512gb 950 pro. Still in my desk drawer. I think I'm just going to open it up in an hour or two and go for it. Justin @Dell said that he can confirm that the M.2 NVMe @ 2lanes still out performs any 2.5 SATA.

So I just before jumping on here made a Bootable Clean Install from the creation tool, and I'm gonna swap the SanDisk x400 128gb with the, (now collecting dust) Samsung 950 pro 512gb.

I just hope it goes smooth like the XPS. Im not the best IT guy.

0 Kudos
markus15
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi DELL-Justin C,

very nice and comprehensive overview and Q&A

Could you please update the article with regard to the Latitude E5580?

I just bought one (currently on it's way from China) and would like to replace the original 500GB HDD with a 512GB Samsung 960 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD - which end bracket / thermal cover and screws will I need?

Could you also please advise where to get these in Europe (preferrably Germany) including the Dell part numbers?

Thanky you for your support!

Best regards

Markus

Tags (1)
0 Kudos