tuchivi
1 Copper

RE: Dell M.2 / NVME Specifications And Upgrade Requirements For Latitude, XPS, Precision Mobile and Optiplex

Jump to solution

Can you check the Vostro 5468 M2 socket support M2 PCIe x2 or x4. Because when I attached the Samsung 950 Pro 512GB NVMe, it cannot detect. many thanks

0 Kudos

RE: Dell M.2 / NVME Specifications And Upgrade Requirements For Latitude, XPS, Precision Mobile and Optiplex

Jump to solution

@Tuchivi,

I will try to find out the number of lanes on Vostro 5468 and get back with you.

As for the detection problem it's probably not a matter of lanes. When you say the drive isn't detected, where exactly are you discovering that? Is it during an operating system install? Or have you gone into the BIOS and found that the drive is not listed there?

If the drive is listed in the BIOS then you need to make sure you're using the Samsung driver for proper drive detection and performance. That driver is found here: www.samsung.com/.../Samsung_NVMExpress_Driver_rev11.zip

If you need help regarding how to install this driver reply back and I'll see what I can do.

Justin C

Dell Technical Support L3 | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

Jump to solution

@Tuchivi,

I heard back from a source who advised that the M.2 port on the Vostro 5468 is wired as SATA M.2, not PCIE M.2. So you actually could have an issue with drive type, like you had assumed before. I don't know if the Samsung NVME drive is backwards compatible with SATA M.2 ports. You'll have to contact the manufacturer to find out.

Justin C

0 Kudos
Darr.Darr
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Interesting...  how about the M.2 port on a Precision 3620 tower?

I plugged a Samsung 850Pro 1TB NVMe drive into one and the 3620 doesn't see it, even in the BIOS settings.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Darr.Darr,

The Precision 3620 comes with a PCIE 4X slot.

I can't say why the Samsung 850Pro 1TB NVMe isn't detecting but I think you're probably seeing a compatibility issue.

I can only offer support for drives we sell with systems. For example: Part number W53CK - 1TB PCIe PM951 for Precision 3620.

Justin C

0 Kudos
ddrenth
1 Copper

Jump to solution

@Justin C,

I have a Dell E7470 with default M.2 Lite-on module. I try to upgrade it to Plextor M8PeGN for the last 4 months, but I can't get it working. First I was thinking the module was the issue. The bios reconise the module. In the Windows 10 Pro setup I see the Module and can install Windows without any issues. Only after first boot the boot partition is not find.

After try a new install from Windows I see the old partitions and see also the data. Only it issn't possible the format a partition or delete them. After this I can't do anything anymore.

I use the latest bios, try latest sata drivers in windows setup. For the rest no idear anymore.

I understand from Plextor that the module is compatible with E7470, but is this correct?

Anybody else with the same issues? I can't find anybody with Plextor Module and E7470.

Another question is the Samsung 960 Pro working with the E7470?

0 Kudos
William NKG
1 Copper

Jump to solution

@Justin C Thank you very much for the info you offered.

Until this Morning, I knew from your info, E5470  with I7-6820HQ' s slot M2.0 supports PICE 3.0X2 only. But E5570 supports X4 while H CPU. Can I ask you if Dell's team could issue a new E5470 BIOS to support the same as E5570?  

Thanks for your help in advance and Best Regards

William NKG
1 Copper

Jump to solution

HI! Justin C

Thank you very much for your infos.

Can I know if Dell's support Team could issue a new Bios for E5470 with H CPU supporting M2.0 to PICE 3.0X4? In General, E5570 is similar to E5470 while the offical M 2.0 configration is not.

Thanks for your kind help in advance.

Best Regards

William NKG

Darr.Darr
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Justin C,

Yes, my 3620 has an empty 4-wide PCIE slot, as well as an empty x16 PCIE slot (the main x16 PCIE slot being occupied by an nvidia quadro K620), and even a legacy PCI slot. It also had an empty M.2 slot... I even see an empty header on the motherboard for a (non-existent) second M.2 slot...

Anyway, I procured a 512GB samsung PM951 (actual capacity 476.8GB), and after swapping out the 1TB samsung 850 the PM951 does indeed show up in the BIOS just fine.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
SGT.HRT
1 Copper

Jump to solution

any update for the latitude 7370?

just wonderin if i can put 2nd ssd on the wwan mpcie slot?

Thanks

0 Kudos