Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 9th, 2015 13:00

Dell M3800 screen issue with lines / bands

I recently noticed some horizontal bands / lines on the screen of my 2 month old laptop.  I am running 2 external monitors and the display is fine.  The lines / bands only appear on the laptop screen.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? 

Mike

July 14th, 2015 08:00

Hi,

Please try the steps below for LCD BIST to check if you see any lines or bands on the screen.

1) Turn the computer off.
2) Press and hold the D key while pressing the power button. This will start the BIST.
3) The screen will display multiple flashing colors.
4) Look for lines, distortion, or any other video issues you have observed.
5) The laptop will restart when the test is finished.

Also, provide us the service tag or the order number of your system through private message. Click on my Username and select start conversation to send private message.

5 Posts

July 15th, 2015 13:00

Thank you for replying.  I have already contacted Dell support and they are in the process of rectifying the issue.

Mike

2 Posts

October 28th, 2015 01:00

Hi MTLAURETTE, was the flickering issue fixed? Mine began yesterday, I've contacted Support too, would like to know if they were able to address it. Anticipating your response, thank you.

5 Posts

October 28th, 2015 10:00

Yes, the issue was resolved.  Dell replaced the laptop and I have not had any other issues since.  The customer service was quick to replace the laptop.

Good luck!

22 Posts

November 13th, 2016 14:00

Hi, I also have this problem. I've had it since I had my screen replaced in May and it seemed to subside for a little while when I wasn't using my laptop for too long.

As I'm using my laptop for longer sessions now (an hour or more), I've noticed the lines reappearing a lot - to the point that my laptop screen is almost 90% greyed out and unusable. The issue subsides randomly and comes back randomly.

I've tried to track it down to a process or action, but there's no correlation between any tasks, programs, processes or activities that take place.

I also have a M3800 (2014 build).

Any advice on remediation before contacting dell support for a replacement?

No Events found!