Highlighted
Chungtd
1 Copper

Dell M3800 turns off randomly on battery

Dear all,

Few months ago, my laptop got an issue with OEM battery and it was out of warranty period.

I bought a new alternative battery and installed it to my laptop. I ran all diagnostics and there were no problem found.

At full charge, I unplugged the AC power and my laptop turned off randomly.

I tried to turn it on again, it only loads until Windows log-on screen and turned-off.

I started again in Set-up mode on battery and ran diagnostic from DOS environment, there were no problem detected.

Again, started Windows normally, but it turned off at Windows log-on screen. 

If I connects it with AC power, I will see battery at more than 95% or even full-charge.

Do you have any idea or suggestion to solve this problem?

I am using the Windows Fall creator update with a new installation.

Hope to have your help! Many thanks! 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

RE: Dell M3800 turns off randomly on battery

Hi Chungtd,

Thanks for posting.

If your new battery was not purchased directly from Dell or from a Dell Reseller, it is probably not an OEM battery.  Dell has a rigorous qualification process by which all Dell batteries are validated to ensure proper function, performance and safety.

Some non-Dell batteries are available in the market with claims of compatibility with Dell systems. Dell cannot verify these claims, nor the safety of using them in a Dell system.

Dell strongly encourages our customers to use only Dell laptop batteries advertised as appropriate for their laptop model.

Only Dell laptop batteries come with a 1-year warranty, are engineered for optimal safety and performance for Dell systems, and are supported by Dell technical support for the length of the warranty period.

http://dell.to/2zaiuXG

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

Chungtd
1 Copper

Dear Robert P.

Thank you so much for your reply.

I would like to add something as the last thing to connect with Dell.

I used a Mobile workstation , a HP one, and it worked perfectly for more than 3 years until it was stolen. Due to the word "Workstation",  I bought my Dell M3800. But so far, the quality of it made me so frustrated and drove me crazy.

First, the screen got yellow area and it got replaced.

Second, the battery was broken after about 1.5 years.

Third, the screws were broken after 4 times opening the back lid and the last time, I was not able to open it to remove the alternative battery.

That is enough for me, and I need to say goodbye to Dell products. It will be no more Dell products for me and family as my faith in Dell had been gone forever.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

As far as batteries go, they only last about a year to a year and a half.  This is true for all computer manufacturers, so it looks like your battery reached it's end of life.  

Apologies that the hinges failed, however these and the battery are considered normal wear and tear items much like the battery in a car or the door hinges on the car, after several years of opening and closing, they will become worn, and eventually fail.

Hopefully you will see that the same terms apply with all computer manufacturers and make an informed decision with the next purchase.

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos