Highlighted
JDoSeattle
1 Copper

Dell M5010 Laptop [15R?] Athlon II - Died without symptoms and no post beep or BIOS but power light and fan on

I heard the Athlon II's were an issue (after I bought the laptop and the warranty expired). 

Was working great - no slow-downs, BSOD's or anything - not even a fan running high and hot. All of a sudden, video blanks, no beeps, no ctl-alt-del, etc. Then no reboot post beeps and no BIOS. LED power light comes on, HD light flashes once, stays off , and battery charge light works until battery is charged. Holding PWR button down forces "off", and PWR on repeats single HD light on to off. Is this the motherboard?

Also, pulled HDD - needed business info from it right away, so it reads on other computers, scanned for both viruses and errors, and is clean.

Suggestions?  I'm hoping that there's a solution besides walking away like a sucker/chump and no customer service if it's a common problem.!

John - Seattle

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JDoSeattle
1 Copper

Re: Dell M5010 Laptop [15R?] Athlon II - Died without symptoms and no post beep or BIOS but power light and fan on

Well, I spent 100.00 today to confirm what I already knew - the motherboard is out. Did not order repairs, just diagnosis. I  would like to hear from Dell if possible, and will call if someone suggests a number to call, but I'm hoping that this board, that has an obvious common flaw, will be repaired at a minimal expense.

NOTE: I do like this computer, and have bragged it up to my school and work friends, so I'm sure that my purchase has influenced someone I know to take a chance on Dell.

0 Kudos