Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 15th, 2013 16:00

Dell M5030 Touchpad

I recently upgraded my M5030 from win 7 to win 8, an upgrade which is not supported by dell. I was able to install windows just fine, and I even found drivers for all the unidentified devices listed in device manager. However, I cannot get the touchpad to work for the life of me. It is not listed in the device manager, and I have tried running the windows 7 Alps driver as well as the newer windows 8 driver made for the vostro laptops. Furthermore I ran the generic driver from alps made for 64bit windows 8. Whenever I tried a new driver, I uninstalled the old one, deleted associated files, and cleaned the registry so I could do a clean install of the next driver. None of these have worked, but the touchpad works in safe mode and when installing win 8 from the disk, so there isn't physical damage to it. I am running win 8 pro 64bit. I also have the most updated bios, please post any help you may have, I'll try anything at this point, even if I don't get gesture features. I was thinking maybe there was a generic driver that allowed the touchpad to work in safe mode that could be applied so that I can use the touchpad when the computer is booted into windows normally.

3.3K Posts

October 15th, 2013 17:00

Hi Kevo2010,

Inspiron M5010 is offered with Windows 7 operating system and accordingly the drivers are updated on our support website. I am afraid the Windows 8 drivers are currently not available for this model.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the touchpad drivers using the steps below:

• From the Start screen, swipe up and tap the All apps icon.
  • If you have a mouse, right-click on the Start screen and then click All apps.
  • Once on the Apps screen, scroll or swipe to the right until you see the Windows System heading.
  • Tap or click on Control Panel, located under Windows System.
  • Windows 8 will bring up the Desktop and automatically open the Control Panel.
  • Tap or click on the Hardware and Sound link.
  • Note: You won’t see Hardware and Sound if your Control Panel view is set to Large icons or Small icons.
  • In the Hardware and Sound window, click or tap Device Manager, located under the Devices and Printers heading.
  • Under “”Mice and Other Pointing Devices”, right click the Synaptic touchpad, and click “Uninstall”.
  • Check the box “Delete driver software for this device”, click ok and follow the on-screen instructions.
  • Restart the computer.

Install in compatibility mode:

http://dell.to/1cT62e9

• From the "Start" or "Apps" Screen Right click or press and hold on a single program to check it, and click/tap on Open file location.
  • Right click or press and hold on a program's shortcut (LNK), EXE, or MSI file on your desktop or in Windows Explorer, and click/tap on Properties.
  • Click/tap on the Compatibility tab.
  • To Run a Program in Compatibility Mode in Only your User Account, click/tap on the Run this program in compatibility mode for box to check it.

Awaiting your response!

No Events found!