Highlighted
aaronm12
1 Copper

Dell M5510 - Unable to boot - display works, no bios or boot screen

Hi,

This morning I went to use my laptop and it is no longer booting.  The power will come on and the power button lights up, the keyboard lights up.  If I let it sit it will stop running after around 30 seconds to 1 minute.

If I click the power button after it started, I can hear the fans spin up then the system shut down.  I have ran the LCD test and it works.  Their is no boot screen at all or dell screen.

I updated the bios last week and I had run it since.  I also took the whole thing apart today to remove the bios battery for 1 minute and put it back together but it still does not run.

Is their a way to diagnose motherboard issues?  why would it not boot or is their more steps to look at?

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

RE: Dell M5510 - Unable to boot - display works, no bios or boot screen

Please check and see if the diagnostic tool will run on the system by following steps below;

1. Power off system. Remove all peripherals and AC adapter from system.

2. Replace AC adapter, power on system, quickly start tapping the F12 key continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen. In the boot menu, stroll down to Diagnostic and then click on it.

ePSA Pre-boot System Assessment (Official Dell Tech ...

0 Kudos
aaronm12
1 Copper

The problem is you can not get it to load the boot screen by clicking the "Function" key or F12.

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
5 Rhenium

Please don't wait for the boot screen / Dell logo to appears, soon as you power on system, quickly start tapping the F12 key (diagnostic).

0 Kudos