Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

July 7th, 2017 10:00

Dell M5510 battery breaking my trackpad and looks like its ready to explode (4gvgh battery)

Hi,

I have a Dell M5510 precision laptop for business.  Around January 2017, 7 months after owning this laptop the track pad started to come loose. At first I didnt know why, it was very minor, then each month it started to come off more and more. Around 2-3 months ago I stopped being able to use some of the functionality of the trackpad. I finally took the laptop apart to find out the battery had expanded and was causing this issue.  I purchased a M5510 with every upgrade (xeon, 4k, larger battery etc) and figured I would not have any issues as I use this for work. 

Has anyone else had similar issues on the M5510 Precision series?

It looks like the battery is very swollen in multiple cells and the trackpad looks like its about to blow right off the laptop.  

I'm also not sure how safe it is to use this laptop for business travel now that it looks like the cells are expanding and lithium ion explodes.

2.3K Posts

July 7th, 2017 16:00

So first thing is stop using the computer.  If the cells are expanding that could cause a safety issue.  I would call Dell ASAP and have them replace the battery which is obviously defective.

4 Posts

July 20th, 2017 07:00

I purchased 10 of these laptops for my department around the same time you did. We've had four of these failures so far in three laptops. The fourth failure was a replacement battery (lasted only two months). I've had to pay for all four batteries and the last two I ordered have a 1 month lead time. It looks like Dell has a serious quality issue with these machines, but good luck getting them to admit it or cover the cost.

4 Posts

July 20th, 2017 07:00

Yesterday pushed my delivery date for the new batteries back for the 3rd time. Beginning to wonder if I'll ever get them after having to pay $200 for defective parts. What's the story Dell? Surely you are selling new 5510 and 5520 with batteries. Why can't you supply parts to your existing customers?

8 Posts

July 20th, 2017 09:00

Hi TStrunck,

I could not believe it either, it seems like a major defect to me.  It doesn't matter if Dell does not manufacture these batteries, they are still sold inside their laptops.  I didnt go buy a knockoff battery and complain, it was OEM.

You should reach out to them now, I believe they just changed their policy (a few days ago) to replace them.  The originally told me no and then they said their policy was updated and now they will.

Good luck

No Events found!