Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

November 14th, 2017 09:00

Dell M5510 freezes up with black squares on the screen

I have a Dell M5510. I previously had an issue withe battery swelling up which then caused a MB failure. I have since had dell replace the motherboard. This worked fine for around 2 months but recently I started to have an issue. If I left my computer over night when I came to use it the next day I noticed it was restarted.

After further using the computer I found out that it would start to get black squares on the screen and then freeze. It can even do this on initial boot when it first enters windows. I have also got these black squares on the login page for windows. The squares are repetitive almost in a diagonal across the screen. I will capture a screenshot next time it happens.

Once the black squares happen I have about 0-30 seconds before the whole system will freeze. I wanted to know if anyone can recommend a solution for this or tell me where the problem relies?

I have tried to roll back drivers for the video card and various other items as well.

Thank you

9.4K Posts

November 15th, 2017 08:00

Hi amagi,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies that your system is not working as expected.

Other users with a similar issue have reported success by disabling fast boot.  You might try that.  You could also run a systems diagnostics test by pressing F12 at startup or by running Support Assist.  Be sure to make a note of any errors encountered and contact Tech Support for additional troubleshooting and possible resolution.  You can contact Tech Support at 1-800-624-9896  or 1-800-288-4410, or you can initiate a chat session http://dell.to/2v4snVm

8 Posts

November 15th, 2017 10:00

I already have fast boot turned off.  I also tried disabling NVidea from the device manager to use the internal built in video card but it still fails.

9.4K Posts

November 20th, 2017 09:00

Perhaps it's time to do some additional troubleshooting.  You can contact Tech Support at 1-800-624-9896  or 1-800-288-4410, or you can initiate a chat session http://dell.to/2v4snVm

No Events found!