Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 28th, 2013 10:00

Dell N5010 (15R) - Now, it won't even turn on!

Specifications:

Chipset:  Mobile Intel® 5 Series Express Chipset (HM57)

Processor:  Intel® Core™ i5-460M Processor (3M Cache, 2.53 GHz)

Hard Drive:  Seagate Momentus 7200 RPM, 500 GB (SATA interface)

Display:  ATI Radeon HD 5650

Background:

Purchased this in Jan 2011, now it's out of warranty.

This notebook has been causing me major problems as it overheats very easily and very often.  It performs even worse than my 5 year old desktop!  It also breaks down and overheats far easier and often than my 2005 Dell inspiron 9300, which still works to this date, and does not overheat!  Turns out, this notebook, N5010, has only one fan to cool both the CPU and GPU -- is that even enough?  The Inspiron 9300 had one fan each for CPU and GPU!

Problem:

I was just doing some routine maintenance (i.e. cleaning the notebook and the dust) as the notebook was shutting down every now and then.

The temperatures before cleaning were around 60-70C for the CPUs and 70-80 for the GPU when idle, and I can't even get it to run any applications long enough before it shuts down again!  Applications that are as basic as task manager, web browsers and file explorer!

Afterwards, the temperatures were down to  around 40s for the CPUs, and 60s for the GPU when idle in Windows 7.  When running applications, such as the basic applications and a game for testing, the CPUs reached 60-70, and GPU 90-110.  The fan is constantly running at full speed during idle and heavy load periods.  The air that was being blown by the fan was not particularly hot, it's slightly warmer than the ambient temperature.  However, the base of the notebook and the keyboard were warm.  I used the Pre-Boot Assessment test, and everything passed.

So I thought there must be something wrong with the cooling or there was still dust inside the notebook, and I had another look at it, and tried to clean the notebook again, but this time more thoroughly.  I cleaned the heatsink, the fan, the vents, reapplied the thermal paste to Arctic Silver 5, cleaned the surface, the plastic cover/case, the LCD and almost everything.

However, after I reassembled it, the notebook won't even turn on.  I checked the cables and the parts, everything's should be where they are.  No power lights were on, no noise was coming from the notebook (including the fan, the beeps, etc.), and the AC adapter works perfectly (it works for my other Dell Inspiron 9300).

Please help!  Thanks.

• 

3.3K Posts

March 1st, 2013 00:00

Hi AYL,

I appreciate for all the trouble shooting steps. Since the system is not turning on after reassembling the system, I suspect there may be a loose connection somewhere. I suggest that you make sure all the parts are reseated firmly and the connections are intact. Please find the service manual for this model.

http://bit.ly/REGhS6

Even after this if the system is not turning on with any LEDs on the system, the system may need servicing. Since the system does not have warranty, kindly contact Out of warranty department for assistance.  The number is 800-288-4410 if you are in US region, for UK region the number is 844-338-1000 and for Canada the number is 1-800-847-4096 .  If you belong to a different region, let me know the region you belong to give you the contact information.

8 Posts

March 4th, 2013 09:00

Hi, thanks for your reply.  I reassembled it and reconnected everything, including removing the CMOS battery.  After that, the laptop could be turned on on the first try.  But it failed to turn on the second try.  What does that mean?  Thanks.

• 

3.3K Posts

March 5th, 2013 05:00

Hi AYL,

I suspect there is some connectivity issue. In case the system is out of warranty, I recommend you to contact the out of warranty department to get the system serviced. I have provided the contact information in the previous post.

8 Posts

March 24th, 2013 10:00

After replacing on on/off board, the laptop can now be powered on.  But it freezes a few minutes after booting into windows, or it freezes when the computer processes something. I've already reinstalled Windows, and ran the diagnostic test a few times, and no errors were found.  What is happening here?

• 

3.3K Posts

March 26th, 2013 03:00

Hi AYL,

Thank you for replying to this post. It is good to know the system is powering on. Since the system is freezing, I recommend you to run custom test on the memory and hard drive.
To run diagnostics restart the system and at the Dell logo tap the F12 key every two seconds. This will start the One-time boot menu. Using arrow keys select ‘Diagnostics’ and hit enter. This will run diagnostics on the hardware components of the system which may take around 5 minutes.  Next Press Y for yes when it asks you to continue Memory test. Once the memory is complete next the options listed will be: ‘Test Memory’, ‘Test System’ and Exit. Please select ‘Test System’.  Then there will be option to run ‘Express test’, ‘Extended Test’, ‘Custom Test’ and ‘Symptom Tree’. Select Custom test and click on Hard Drive and hit enter. The memory and Hard drive test will take a while depending on the size.

Reply with the status of the test for further assistance.

• 

3.3K Posts

March 29th, 2013 09:00

Hi AYL,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to this post. Other community members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread

8 Posts

October 8th, 2013 22:00

Hi Amogh,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I've already tried those. I updated the BIOS to the latest version.  I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled the drivers using the official Dell drivers and also the official AMD ATI drivers (including the latest beta drivers).  None of them work properly. The system still freezes after a moment, or whenever the GPU is initialized.

The system only works when the GPU drivers are uninstalled and only when Windows' "standard VGA display adapter" driver is used (i.e. no display drivers are installed).

I also understand that the Intel chipset and the Intel Core i5 should have integrated Intel Graphics embedded, am I correct?  If so, how do I disable the ATI GPU and use only the Intel Graphics?  I don't see that option in the BIOS.

Thanks.

8 Posts

I ran Diagnostics a few times with no problems.  I then ran Windows in Safe Mode and it works (doesn't freeze).  I also tried to run Windows with the ATI 5650 driver uninstalled.  I think I isolated the problem to the GPU, and that the GPU or GPU drivers are causing the freeze.  I reinstalled Windows a few times and also tried to use Ubuntu, which works at the native resolution and does not freeze.  However, I want to run the laptop in Windows.  I suspect the problem lies with the GPU or the GPU drivers.  Please advise.  Thanks.

1.5K Posts

Hi AYL,

As the diagnostics pass without any error, it doesn’t seem to be a hardware issue. I would suggest you to completely uninstall and reinstall the ‘Display Adapters’. You may follow the steps below:

• Press ‘Windows’ key + R on ‘Desktop’ screen.
  • Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in run box and press ‘Enter’.
  • Click > sign next to ‘Display Adapters’.
  • Right click the entry listed under ‘Display Adapters’ and click ‘uninstall’.

You may download and install the latest drivers from the link: http://dell.to/19yJEzw.

You may update the system BIOS by referring to the link: http://dell.to/17lHRwP.

Hope this helps. Feel free to reply for any further assistance.

October 8th, 2013 23:00

Hi,

While using Dell Inspiron N5010, my laptop was abruptly switched off. N then it is showing error of PXE E 61 - Media Failure. Check Cable.

EVen hard disk is not recogniozed in Bios setup.. How to recover my data now?? It is very crucial data ...

Please please help.

• 

3.3K Posts

October 9th, 2013 03:00

Hi aniruddhapatil2000,

The HDD connections may be loose. Try reseating the HDD and check. Find the link below for the system service manual:

http://bit.ly/REGhS6

Also Reset BIOS defaults. Tap F2 at startup to open BIOS window. Press F9 to reset BIOS defaults, F10 to save the changes. Next navigate to Boot tab and check if HDD is the first boot priority.

Even after performing the above suggested steps, if the issue persists, I suspect the HDD has failed. You may have to consider replacing it. Please contact any local technician to check if they can retrieve the data from the HDD.

Revert for further queries.

1.5K Posts

October 10th, 2013 05:00

Hi AYL,

Please paste the screenshot of ‘Device Manager’ with the ‘Display Adapters’ expanded.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist you.

8 Posts

October 10th, 2013 06:00

Hi Amogh,

As requested, the screenshot is attached.

I just reinstall the ATI driver using the official Dell drivers.  But whenever the graphics is utilized, the computer freezes.

Additional Information:

- the computer works without freezing when it's boot into safe mode

- I tried unplugging it (thus using battery power only) and for the entire time, the computer doesn't freeze

- the computer only works without freezing when the graphics drivers are uninstalled and deleted, meaning the system only utilizes the default Windows "Standard VGA Display Adapter"

Thanks.

1.5K Posts

October 11th, 2013 05:00

Hi AYL,

It seems that the issue is with the system GPU and the motherboard of the system needs replacement.

If the system is covered under warranty, you may provide me the Service Tag and the name as it appears on the account via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation) so I may access your records and check for further course of action.

If you are comfortable in replacing the motherboard and you are residing in the US, you may contact dell spares to check for the price. Please refer to the link: http://dell.to/11GOIPD.

You may contact Dell Out of Warranty Repairs (OWR) department in US by referring to the link: http://dell.to/15Ru1qU.

Hope this helps. Feel free to reply for any further assistance.

8 Posts

October 11th, 2013 07:00

Hi Amogh,

I actually already replaced it with a new motherboard as the last motherboard's GPU had some issues, white lines started to appear, followed by purple dots and the screen just went black.  Although the new motherboard passed all diagnostic tests, I suspected there's something wrong with the GPU as it freezes all the time, and the screen recently had some white lines at the top.

So if the system is out of warranty, Dell can no longer assist me or fix the problem right?

Thanks.

No Events found!